forum

I feel stuck in terms of skill level

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pokefan005
This is more of a rant than anything else. (I'm just venting some, but if you have any ideas I'm open to it)

About 100 gameplay hours ago I was almost the exact same in terms of skill level. I can still only clear 5 star with 90-95 acc with difficulty FC-ing, 6 stars are do-able but rarely with anything high than 88 acc, and 7 star are still nearly impossible with the exception of things I can just mash/cheese through.

As for pp plays, I've seena small amount of improvement (like 30pp) but setting 100's is still about the same. Setting a 200 feels impossible at this point.

Major problems seem to be complicated jump patterns, high BPM, and reading in general. Pretty much anything past AR 9 I just can't read, regardless of difficulty.(I couldn't pass a 4 star of a map because it was AR 10 with DT but yet I could FC the other, harder 4 star, with DT that was AR 9)

Curious to hear about other people's expierences and tips. If you need me to answer any questions I'll pretty well be checking for the next week or two.

Edit: Want to add that I am sick of playing DT aim. Its boring and farming anything takes forever
Wimpy Cursed
I feel like these graphs would be useful for you to determine how AR would work on HR and DT

Generally, people improve at different rates and will eventually get stuck at some point. I don't know what could factor into that, but it happens to everyone at some point.

General tips on the problems you listed
  1. Jump - Just play more. Yes, it is that simple, I know. And it is probably annoying to hear. But as you play more jump patterns, you will become more familiarized with those patterns. Maybe make some edits on maps to adjust jump distance or change the position of jumps entirely, making it into an unfamiliar pattern for you to go practice next.
  1. High BPM - I would say play some finger control maps for this one. Increase the BPM of the maps you do play after you get comfortable with the current BPM that is a challenge to you. So, let's say 200 BPM is your issue to maintain stamina in. Play 190 BPM maps for awhile until you stop tensing on it. This way, you are building your stamina properly and do not risk injury. Of course, this can apply to different style maps; not just finger control. It depends on what you really want to improve your speed on.
  1. Reading - Slowly build up the muscle memory and increase the AR level slightly once you feel comfortable. HR and DT could work as well, but I wouldn't rely on those in most cases as they serve for different purposes. HR is more precision based, while DT is more speed based. If you can handle that, then maybe it should be fine to use them to improve your reading.
Topic Starter
Pokefan005

Wimpy Cursed wrote:

I feel like these graphs would be useful for you to determine how AR would work on HR and DT

Generally, people improve at different rates and will eventually get stuck at some point. I don't know what could factor into that, but it happens to everyone at some point.

1. Jump - Just play more. Yes, it is that simple, I know. And it is probably annoying to hear. But as you play more jump patterns, you will become more familiarized with those patterns. Maybe make some edits on maps to adjust jump distance or change the position of jumps entirely, making it into an unfamiliar pattern for you to go practice next.
  1. High BPM - I would say play some finger control maps for this one. Increase the BPM of the maps you do play after you get comfortable with the current BPM that is a challenge to you. So, let's say 200 BPM is your issue to maintain stamina in. Play 190 BPM maps for awhile until you stop tensing on it. This way, you are building your stamina properly and do not risk injury. Of course, this can apply to different style maps; not just finger control. It depends on what you really want to improve your speed on.
  1. Reading - Slowly build up the muscle memory and increase the AR level slightly once you feel comfortable. HR and DT could work as well, but I wouldn't rely on those in most cases as they serve for different purposes. HR is more precision based, while DT is more speed based. If you can handle that, then maybe it should be fine to use them to improve your reading.
Thank you for your tips! As for high BPM it's never felt like a stamina issue, just that I can't seem to get my fingers to move that quickly. (Maybe it's a keyboard thing? I have the Razor Huntsman Mini) When it comes to reading I've heard some people say that you can use the EZ mod to help but the one time I did try it, it gave me a headache

Also the graphs are interesting. I never really noticed that HR makes the AR that much higher since i don't normally play with it. Any idea why it caps out at AR 10 for it?
Wimpy Cursed

Pokefan005 wrote:

Wimpy Cursed wrote:

Thank you for your tips! As for high BPM it's never felt like a stamina issue, just that I can't seem to get my fingers to move that quickly. (Maybe it's a keyboard thing? I have the Razor Huntsman Mini) When it comes to reading I've heard some people say that you can use the EZ mod to help but the one time I did try it, it gave me a headache

Also the graphs are interesting. I never really noticed that HR makes the AR that much higher since i don't normally play with it. Any idea why it caps out at AR 10 for it?
No idea! I guess it was just designed that way.
The BPM thing would still apply for slower movements as well. It's generally a way to build both stamina and speed.
The EZ mod can help you notice patterns easier as muscle memory builds up. It can also help you with your accuracy if you ever had errors with that (such as hitting early all the time). Though, I'd suggest looking in offset before playing EZ mod for that.
It is not really a preferred option to choose for many, but hey, if it works, it works. If you dislike it, I'd suggest just leaving that as a last option. You learn faster as you're having fun, right?
Also that keyboard seems to be more than capable of tapping at high BPMs
Naiad
Jump patterns:

Try your best to read each note individually if possible, don't simply try to react to the pattern as a whole.

High bpm: Can you be more specific? Do you struggle with streaming/bursting, or with alting (or singletapping) high bpm jumps?

Reading in general:

Hard to give advice other than what I already said, if possible it's better to read each note individually.

High ar reading:

There's no shortcut here. Retry spam AR higher than what you're comfortable with over and over until you're better.
Topic Starter
Pokefan005

Naiad wrote:

Jump patterns:

Try your best to read each note individually if possible, don't simply try to react to the pattern as a whole.

High bpm: Can you be more specific? Do you struggle with streaming/bursting, or with alting (or singletapping) high bpm jumps?

Reading in general:

Hard to give advice other than what I already said, if possible it's better to read each note individually.

High ar reading:

There's no shortcut here. Retry spam AR higher than what you're comfortable with over and over until you're better.
I already do the jump tip to the best of my ability. (Cross screen jumps are hard) With High BPM it's more a streaming issue. I can normally hit 200 bursts and 220 jumps but not more than 185 for streams. I've also always been a full alternate player so I literally don't know how to singletap

Edit: Just did a session to double check. Streaming at 170-175 BPM is pretty easy, 180-190 I can play, but with worse acc, and anything above 190 is pretty much just luck.
Naiad
Issues with stamina at your level are almost certainly technique related. Make sure youre tapping efficiently and consistently and take note of exactly how your technique works (for example, I hardly move my fingers when tapping, I vibrate my wrist back and forth and I play with this in mind and I think it helps me to play some patterns).

As for your jump problems, there is little to say other than play more. Perhaps try to analyze your replays and see if you consistently over/underaim or anything else.
Topic Starter
Pokefan005

Naiad wrote:

Issues with stamina at your level are almost certainly technique related. Make sure youre tapping efficiently and consistently and take note of exactly how your technique works (for example, I hardly move my fingers when tapping, I vibrate my wrist back and forth and I play with this in mind and I think it helps me to play some patterns).

As for your jump problems, there is little to say other than play more. Perhaps try to analyze your replays and see if you consistently over/underaim or anything else.
Just wanted to say thanks for the tips. I've been working on my streaming technique and I've started to be able to stream 190 and certain 200BPM maps. Also My accuracy on 6 star maps increased a lot for streams after fixing my tapping. (I went from like 82 to 93 on average lol)