forum

Ranked Mapping in 2023: Trends and Graphs of Drain Time, SR and Playcount

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
smolship
This will be a quick showcase of graphs showing certain trends in mapping from 2023 (n=2315).

Drain time of maps as a histogram, by far the most popular drain time to map is 82s to 92s (1:22 to 1:32) with 495 diffs
Small peaks at 102s to 112s (1:42 to 1:52) and 222s to 232s (3:42, 3:52)
Noticeably theres no spike after 4:15 or 5:00 despite ranking criteria reducing number of difficulties needed
Also any maps less than 1 min are incredibly unlikely to be ranked

SR of different difficulties as a histogram.
SR distribution has 3 peaks of around the same height (2.43* , 3.43* , 4.93* )
The most popular SR range to map is 4.53* with a significant drop off after 6.5*

Playcount vs SR.
There is a lot of normal maps (>400) compared to the number of players that actually play them.
4* maps are the most popular maps to play
6* maps have slightly higher demand than 2* maps

I must note that there are probably more unique players on normals than insanes because there are many insanes that are actively farmed

Playcounts on normal/easy diffs vs drain time.
Massive spike in 60-90 range due to tv size anime maps
3min normals still quite popular in terms of playcount
About the same distribution as the number of maps at this drain time

Raw data file was created using ossapi to call the osu API and then cleaned to create a .csv. https://smolship.s-ul.eu/CJpzUDLn
SaltyLucario
this is cool
his everything
i wouldn't be surprised if it ends the same way in 2024 which is totally logical.
Topic Starter
smolship

Anaxii wrote:

i wouldn't be surprised if it ends the same way in 2024 which is totally logical.
Really needs changes in the ranking criteria to be any different tbh. People will still map whatever song they like + the seasonal anime tv size.

I would like if there's more incentive for more 6* and 7* tho. We are at the stage where 6 digits can play 7* (or at least play farm 7* like ghost rule)
Riana

smolship wrote:

Anaxii wrote:

Really needs changes in the ranking criteria to be any different tbh. People will still map whatever song they like + the seasonal anime tv size.

I would like if there's more incentive for more 6* and 7* tho. We are at the stage where 6 digits can play 7* (or at least play farm 7* like ghost rule)
community/forums/topics/1880953?n=1

I wrote a proposal to make it easier to make spread for such high diffs but not sure how it'd end up now

ppl were looking for some statistics so this might be helpful
Topic Starter
smolship
As an addendum imma add 2022 and 2021.

(n=2311) 2022 was kinda similar to 2023.

(n=2371) 2021 was probably the height of the covid period. Much more people were playing 6*s for some reason but again, there were much more 2* maps than 6*s

In roughly the same number of insane diffs, 2022 got 51 million plays compared to 23 million in 2021 and 9 million in 2023

Also to clarify, the dataset i used does not include all maps from these years but just a sample.
Huyen Den
Well worth a look 👍 Now I can see that the community cares about 3-4-5-6 star difficulty and at most 4 star difficulty when mapping. Perhaps because there are so many 4-star DT players
Hollow Delta
What about drain time across different difficulties? Do the drain of maps get longer / shorter as the SR goes up?
Topic Starter
smolship

Hollow Delta wrote:

What about drain time across different difficulties? Do the drain of maps get longer / shorter as the SR goes up?
no