forum

[Archived] osu! skin files keep crashing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
weasel wizard
I've had an issue with osu! for almost 2 years where doing anything with the skin files makes File Explorer "Not Respond" and close. I've redownloaded osu! and this problem occurred after I finished downloading maps and skins. It isn't File Explorer because I can rename or move around other files from other games just fine. I've searched for a solution and haven't found one about this specifically since this problem first came up. I hope someone can help. Please and thank you.
SinlessVX
could you upload a video a that happening?
Topic Starter
weasel wizard

The issue portion begins at 1:23
I hope this video is sufficient (and also works), but the problem is kind of random, sometimes it doesn't let me rename or interact with the skins or sometimes, like in the video, it does. Rarely. Similarly for the in-skin files, it works on rare occasion, but it mostly doesn't. Let me know if more is needed.
Jason X

weasel wizard wrote:

It isn't File Explorer because I can rename or move around other files from other games just fine.
Since it also happens when you moved a file to your desktop (in the video), an area which is not used by osu, I do think it could be a problem with File Explorer.

If you have to edit anything that could be used by osu, I suggest to close osu before doing that.
To my knowledge, osu isn't locking any skinfiles as "being used in a different program", it also won't overwrite any changes you've made from the already loaded files in the client (with exception of the .db/.cfg files)

One idea: Check if the files/folder are marked as read only, as this could prevent any changes you've made if you got insufficient permissions.
(I doubt that you've got insufficient permissions, but windows is windows, better to double check)

I'd also suggest to check the event viewer: wiki/en/Help_centre#event-viewer
Maybe something shows up there that would tell us that the problem is.

Edit:
I've never had problems editing files with osu being open, but I should point out that I'm primarely using a different version of windows with an outdated osu client, so that might be the difference.
Topic Starter
weasel wizard
Apologies, I sounded a bit presumptuous in saying it certainly wasn't File Explorer at all, I just didn't want to put full fault on it because it seemingly works with all other files/games/etc., but files connected to osu (skin files specifically) when interacted with make File Explorer fail. That said, the Event Viewer says it's a problem with Explorer, but again, it solely happens with osu to my knowledge of everything else I've interacted with in File Explorer.
I did as you said, I both closed osu and I unmarked the read-only box, I applied it and hit Okay, but when I went to check if it actually unmarked, the box was marked. I unmarked it a few times and just left it. Did the simple check to see if it would crash and still the problem continued.
On an old PC I had, I never had the problem to keep osu open (let alone this problem at all), I would change things and use the skin reload shortcut, but since this issue first began I thought of closing osu and did, but it still didn't change the outcome.
If you need a screenshot of my Event Viewer or anything, let me know. I appreciate all help here.

Edit: I use Windows 10 and the latest osu client if that helps any.