forum

is there an easier way to find bns?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kanteer
basically, i've been trying to get this map ranked, but finding bns is hard

i've tried messaging them, bnfinder, their queues, basically everything i could think of and yet i still can't find any bns who would give valid criticism to the map

i've done way too much work on this map to try and get it ranked, but finding bns is troubling, if anyone can help that would be majorly appreciated
Faxei
The ranking system is first and foremost a popularity contest, so unless you know someone, you're going to struggle. That's why BN's and popular mappers get their maps ranked quick with little to no mods. As for finding a BN, assuming they don't outright ignore your message (which they often will), pretty much the stars have to align for them to be interested in your map (do they like the song? do they like your mapping/style? do they think you're worthy?). And if you do end up getting lucky and a BN is interested in your map, you need to find ANOTHER BN. Granted, the other BN's will be much more interested if you already have one (funny how that works, huh?).

But anyways, I wish you luck finding a BN to help you out. Unfortunately the system is heavily flawed, subjective, and promotes unfair treatment. Hopefully you find solace in knowing you're not alone and this is the experience of 99.9% of mappers. I hope you get the fair treatment you deserve, but I would say don't become too invested because it can really be a soul-crushing experience.

Edit: As an additional warning, a BN may straight up insult you/your map as a response to your message/request. This has personally happened to me. Yes you can report it but it's unlikely anything will come of it (unless what they said/did was EXCEPTIONALLY bad behavior).
Blushing

Faxei wrote:

The ranking system is first and foremost a popularity contest, so unless you know someone, you're going to struggle. That's why BN's and popular mappers get their maps ranked quick with little to no mods. As for finding a BN, assuming they don't outright ignore your message (which they often will), pretty much the stars have to align for them to be interested in your map (do they like the song? do they like your mapping/style? do they think you're worthy?). And if you do end up getting lucky and a BN is interested in your map, you need to find ANOTHER BN. Granted, the other BN's will be much more interested if you already have one (funny how that works, huh?).

But anyways, I wish you luck finding a BN to help you out. Unfortunately the system is heavily flawed, subjective, and promotes unfair treatment. Hopefully you find solace in knowing you're not alone and this is the experience of 99.9% of mappers. I hope you get the fair treatment you deserve, but I would say don't become too invested because it can really be a soul-crushing experience.

Edit: As an additional warning, a BN may straight up insult you/your map as a response to your message/request. This has personally happened to me. Yes you can report it but it's unlikely anything will come of it (unless what they said/did was EXCEPTIONALLY bad behavior).
I am not sure that this is helpful for the OP or for anybody else in the same boat of wanting to find BNs.

The best advice I have for OP is to keep trying, post it in as many chats, queues, mapping helps, discord servers (that allow for this), etc. Eventually one will give a substantial mod or even nominate it. Official resources are: https://bn.mappersguild.com/

some unofficial ones:
https://osumod.com/
and probably some other ones.

Just keep trying
Faxei

Blushing wrote:

Faxei wrote:

I am not sure that this is helpful for the OP or for anybody else in the same boat of wanting to find BNs.

The best advice I have for OP is to keep trying, post it in as many chats, queues, mapping helps, discord servers (that allow for this), etc. Eventually one will give a substantial mod or even nominate it. Official resources are: https://bn.mappersguild.com/

some unofficial ones:

Just keep trying
I think my post was about as helpful as saying "Just keep trying" (lol). OP is clearly frustrated he's not getting any attention from BN's. I told him what the reality is, and that he's not alone in his struggles. But thank you, the high and mighty Blushing, for your exceptionally helpful reply! I'm sure OP's problems are solved now!! /thread!
Topic Starter
Kanteer

Blushing wrote:

Faxei wrote:

some unofficial ones:

Just keep trying
damn bro that's super helpful thanks it's not like i already tried those things
Zelzatter Zero
afaik there no other shortcut unfortunately. Assuming your mapping is sufficient enough, unless either you are extremely popular, or mapped a song that suits their preference, or know the BN quite well, or basically become a BN yourself (a.k.a circlejerking) you're gonna stay in the niche, obscure territory and hope that all stars align with the map you're gonna push forward.

Being on this sub, I've seen people expressed, or even proposed, for several changes with the current ranking system. Whether it will be implement, or has any effect tho, I think it's better for you to observe it yourself.
Livermorium
Getting really good at mapping is probably the only real easier way to finding bns and ranking maps other than just keep looking. Or you can probably map types of songs common in ranked section because bns are probably more interested in those songs.

Also song choice matters quite a lot imo. I didnt check your map but im pretty sure any map of any version of bedroom community is gonna be pretty hard to rank even if the maps pretty good. The song is too meme probably