forum

osu! Public Release (b20130319)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
In one of the biggest releases in recent times, this update brings over two weeks of going over (almost) every fine detail of the default osu! skin/UI and revamping to make it more consistent, modern and to add HD support. I plan on going over this in more detail in the coming days on my dev blog but until then sit back and enjoy!

A few things to note:

1. There may be random bugs. Report these in the tech support forum, not this thread. please :P
  2. Taiko, CtB and osu!mania redesigns are currently underway. Expect them to be updated over the coming weeks.
  3. There are still a small number of elements which haven't been updated – for example, the spins-per-minute counter. These will come over the next few days.
  4. For those using custom skins, you can force fallbacks to the new default by ticking the checkbox in the skin options screen. Default behaviour will be to use the old elements so they align properly when skins don't replace all skinnable elements.
  5. The ranking screen is somewhat of a work in progress. You currently need to scroll to see your online rank performance. This may change.
  6. I will make the new skin available for use as a template in the near future. Keep a watch on the skinning forum.
I have a lot more to say about the changes, but am a bit worn out and will do so in the near future. There are a lot of little gameplay changes which make for a better overall experience which have not been pointed out in this post. See how many you can spot, and let me know if any have improved the game for you.

Also I can't forget to give many kudos to RBRat3 for his help with many of the new skin's elements, including the slider ball, spinner, editor UI icons, mod icons and many other touches. Also worth a mention is the few users that stick around on the test build and provide near real-time feedback on the changes (hi MillhioreF, statementreply).
-kevincela-
First! \o/
The new skin is indeed awesome, I love it :D
SomnusCatty
Nice~
MUFFIE
Awesome^w^
Aqo
Kind of hard to adapt to something new after being used to something old for so long but this looks interesting
Thanks for releasing updates like this and keeping the game fresh
LKs
great update
James2250
RIP special mode tab. New main menu design looks nice and clean to me (even after seeing old one for so long).

Will have to keep checking up on new stuff, but nice update.
imsupaazn
Awesome new skin! Love it :)
Aqo
The new default cursor seems very "fluffy" on the edges compared to the older one which was "sharper".
Is there a way to gain access to the older sharper cursor in case we prefer that?

Also, just tested HD on some maps that previously were "HD challenging due to stacking" and it seems like some types of stacking became easier to read while other types of stacking became harder. The different style of object fading led to some time-spacings of notes to blend in more obvious ways and others to blends into each other and be harder to distinguish :v

Overall tho this seems better and a good direction. The new followpoints are great, I was playing with disabled followpoints on my skin for a while but with those new ones I'm going to enable them.

-

After some more experimenting, it seems that invisible skins still provide a better HD experience over the new default osu skin, however this new skin is definitely a lot more readable and feels nice to play with for most average map patterns. The only thing that stood out is that objects blend very strongly in certain time spacings due to how bright the circles are and this makes it impossible to spot the combo number until very late. This might be improved if combo numbers had a darker shade around them.

Some sample maps for HD testing:
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/71990
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/54610
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/25802
Kenezz
Oh god, I love this.
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
yeah
N A L U
love the new default skin yeahhhhhhhhhh
XPJ38
Many thanks for your hard work peppy!
lchgeorge
Overall I love the new skin
except what the red circle exposed....

The "OSU" logo covers in the rank state..
Narwhal Prime
Looks very sharp and sleek - kinda reminds me of the osu!stream UI.
I keep clicking the mode button every time I want to use mods >_<. Ah well, better get used to it or use F1.

Great job! Look forward to more updates.
Mercurius
Good work.
Can we get new default skin in ZIP ?
Ritzeh
^ what he said :D
Frozenemerald
I don't want go to school And play to osu! With new skin *Q*
AussieEvil
Are you going to allow us to skin the mode icon?
Xierra
Wow. Osu! Revamped Skin is way better than the original now (Well, last one was much more cartoonish)
show more