forum

Is starting all triples with the same hand a bad thing? (kddk)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jasorca
I'm pretty sure its because of muscle memory from playing standard, as I single tap most notes, (left blue, red right) but starting triples for both colours happen with my left hand because that is my single tap finger in standard, which makes red triples a lot more uncomfortable than blue ones. Is this something I have to change, or will it just come with time?
EnigmaticG
You can get pretty far with that play style, but will eventually hit a wall in terms of speed with the faster onis. Some players learn to alternate only between those patterns that they need to in order to keep up (semi-alt and similar). Others such as myself alternate on every note. For dealing with long streams/really fast bursts, fully alternating is best. You'll want to learn to alternate between triplets since at a high bpm they would strain your hands a ton if you tried to start each one with the same hand.
Mayomi
Ehh I would say it's entirely preference. There's lots of top players who don't full alt -- I'm pretty sure shinchikuhome starts all patterns on his left hand, for example. If you get stamina/speed-walled then you can just learn how to singletap faster :P

There is some merit to learning how to full alt, tho. It's a harsh learning curve but it'll help down the line with nested 1/6 patterns because you'll already be used to starting things on your offhand.
beijing beef
i see pros usually start pattern with their dominant hand, you can analyze replays to check

since im right handed, i start patterns with my right hand for triplets
_mp1506

Jasorca wrote:

I'm pretty sure its because of muscle memory from playing standard, as I single tap most notes, (left blue, red right) but starting triples for both colours happen with my left hand because that is my single tap finger in standard, which makes red triples a lot more uncomfortable than blue ones. Is this something I have to change, or will it just come with time?
"I single tap most notes, (left blue, red right)" This playstyle is called crosstapping, singletap is when you do it all with a single hand. Also worth noting, blue is called 'kat' and red is called 'don'.

"starting triples for both colours happen with my left" former rank 1 Manji is a right-handed singletapper who starts the stream with left.

Finally, what's important is to stay chill. Don't force it too much, and it will come with time.

Good luck.
Topic Starter
Jasorca
Okay thanks for the help, at least I know im not doing anything crazy wrong now lol.