forum

Nonstop and Endurance Mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1,196
Topic Starter
Duoprism
This is basically the alternative DDR mode in Osu!

Nonstop would be a course of songs all played back to back. You could add mods to certain maps to give your course a different twist. You would not be allowed to pause. Combos would carry over songs. This would be on a different set of rankings. This would also allow people doing unrankable marathons to be able to be ranked in a sense.

Endurance mode is basically an endless stream of songs within a certain star range. My suggestions are: 0-1.49 stars for Easy, 1.5-2.99 stars for Normal, 3-4.49 stars for Hard and 4.50- 5 stars for Insane. This would not be ranked because you would need to force the player to obtain all maps for equality which is a problem with an ever growing ranked list. But you'd be able to show off the results which would contain total time played as well as a list of songs played, to make sure you didn't cheat.

I was also thinking of an Extreme mode for both where even breaks in songs are removed.

Thoughts?
James
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Duoprism
I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with using DDR stuff with Osu! as they're both rhythm games.

Allowing pausing defeats the purpose of Nonstop and Endurance.

Anyway, the courses would be like the beatmap system now. People would submit course with the songs and mods applied, and mods check that it's a reasonable course and rank it. The points earned would be on a DIFFERENT set of rankings.

EDIT: Actually, I think only mods should be able to make courses. Course are easy to make so it wouldn't do well to have people submitting 100 courses a day.
Saturos
I think this should go more along the lines of what James was thinking; picking/random via star difficulty a set of 4-5 beatmaps to play.

Agreed with disallowing pausing.

I do not agree with allowing them to add to your ranked score, though, and I doubt peppy would want to have another set of scores specific to a mode like this.

Removing breaks would require jumping through sections of the mp3, as well, and would sound like hell. So 'Extreme' isn't an option, imo.

Thems mah thoughts.
Topic Starter
Duoprism
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Saturos
...so basically mini Parapara's that count towards an ingame, online ranking, but not directly to your overall ranked score? I'm not entirely sure if peppy could do this without setting up another ranking board to do so.

I was thinking more along the lines of separate scores being recorded during play: total and the actual beatmaps' scores. That way, any ranked beatmaps played in the set would still count towards your ranked score, and unranked would not.

...Although, on second thought, that would basically defeat the purpose of an endurance mod, anyway. >>

I would like to see some sort of endurance mode in at some point, though.
Topic Starter
Duoprism
And therein lies the rub.

I think Endurance could be ranked if a formula was designed for it.

That said, ranking or no ranking I think the modes are plausible and fun ideas.
peppy
I've wanted to add a non-stop gameplay mode. Its not going to be done anytime soon (unless echo shows interest in helping with it ;)) but it would definitely be a separate ranking. Not sure how courses would work but there would be the option for users to create their own courses, choose non-stop random, or play "ranked" courses for attempts at the non-stop ranking. I believe this ranking would be per-course, which no "total ranked score" so it would place more focus on doing good at each course, and less on playing every course out there.

Bringing this up in the meeting due to cool factor.
PokemasterBrian
Thanks, peppy. I also wanted this to happen. An endurance mode will be OK.
nadihko-chan
YES Go go go! I've always wanted something like this
Azure_Kite
Incredible Necropost! I was almost Dazzled!

Ahem.

I support this, a Non-Stop/Endurance feature would be cool, even if it was unranked.
Waryas

peppy wrote:

I've wanted to add a non-stop gameplay mode. Its not going to be done anytime soon (unless echo shows interest in helping with it ;)) but it would definitely be a separate ranking. Not sure how courses would work but there would be the option for users to create their own courses, choose non-stop random, or play "ranked" courses for attempts at the non-stop ranking. I believe this ranking would be per-course, which no "total ranked score" so it would place more focus on doing good at each course, and less on playing every course out there.

Bringing this up in the meeting due to cool factor.
Would almost compare to the medleys/compilation we have now, that's awesome.
Aoitenshi
Best, necropost... Ever.

Would love it :D
J U D G E
Sounds cool :).
Hadez
support
themagila
Cool idea, I support this.
Mashley
This + monthly charts = HELLO
Suimya
o-o
3 years you got a be joking is this thing gonna happen or not?
Ikillforpies
biggest nercopost i ever seen oWo
but pretty good idea
Azure_Kite
It's a Necropost of a Necropost; this is going nowhere fast.....
Xyrenus
support!
MMzz
And the chain goes on~
My1_old
necro xTreme
I wanna vote this but how to get ones???
and ya should allow pausing coz when ya have to go to toilet or alike you'll have a prob.
Jenny
This request is so old and I support it though~
My1_old
but how to even get votes???
is this a supporter only function
Raging Bull
We only get two votes...and then we never have anymore cause I guess Peppy doesn't think we need more or something.
Sakura

My1 wrote:

but how to even get votes???
is this a supporter only function
viewtopic.php?p=828611#p828611

And no, that doesn't mean you can necro that topic
Espionage724
If it means anything, /support, I'd like to try a few songs a few times in a row without break, just to see how long I last :p
SinDemonDragon13
Support! :D
hoihoisoi
Sounds very cool....Support!
SkyDevil
.... PRROMOTE.
Stefan
Horrible Idea.

James wrote:

Umm this is Osu! not DDR?
^this
HashishKabob
Welll, this also isn't Taiko no Tatsujin either, is it?
Azure_Kite
Nope, it's not. Glad we're on the same level of understanding.
My1_old

TheNutritiousGuy wrote:

Horrible Idea.

James wrote:

^this
who should think that osu is the same as eastern Germany 1952-1990 (years maybe not correct)???
kriers

My1 wrote:

James wrote:

who should think that osu is the same as eastern Germany 1952-1990 (years maybe not correct)???
Cygnus
Endurance Mode should only be available to users having at least 10 maps on their folder.
theowest

TheNutritiousGuy wrote:

Horrible Idea.

James wrote:

^this
Just because it's not the same game doesn't mean the same features can't be implemented. I for one is supporting the feature to be able to play multiple maps like some sort of playlist. There are so feature requests created related to this too. :v

But I wouldn't use it. Hell no. Even if it was ranked. I want to take my well deserved breaks between songs. But maybe if you could put the same map multiple times on the list. Useful if you're trying to achieve some really hard rank which requires you to play a lot.
show more