forum

[invalid] 3D vision in Osu!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +8
Topic Starter
Clemaister
Hi there,

I wanted to know if it was possible to make a stereoscopic anaglyph post-processing shader (red & cyan) in Osu! in order to play beatmaps in 3D vision with anaglyph glasses ? ;p

I know it is not an utltra-important thing, but it could be fun.
Kitsunemimi
What could be 3D about osu! though? Aside from making all the hitcircles look trippy, I can't really imagine much 3D for a 2D bitmap based game.

Although, if you think we can just add some depth from the foreground and the background, I think this should be a fairly simple feature to implement.
Topic Starter
Clemaister
In Beatmap where a video is set as a background, I think it could be interresting, and even the fact that hitcircles can give a depth effect is a way to be inside the game, and to enjoy more playing.

Well, I've just said that's not in important thing but could be interresting.
awp

Clemaister wrote:

In Beatmap where a video is set as a background, I think it could be interresting
A feature to automatically determine the depth of each "object" on each frame of animation in the video? You do know this would basically require sorcery to achieve, right?
mm201
Nah. I'm sure the computers in Star Trek can do this.
Topic Starter
Clemaister
This can be done easily, It's very easy to transform a video into an anaglyphic one. I can do this.

So, the beatmaper can swich his videoanaglyphic if he want before submitting beatmap.
Kitsunemimi

Clemaister wrote:

This can be done easily, It's very easy to transform a video into an anaglyphic one. I can do this.

So, the beatmaper can swich his videoanaglyphic if he want before submitting beatmap.
Umm, no you can't because you would have to create a separate video file because I'm pretty sure that osu! wouldn't be able to tell what objects in a video would be in the foreground and what's in the background.
Topic Starter
Clemaister
Hmm, yeah you got right.
CheeseWarlock
There are two issues here: 3D anaglyphic video, and 3D anaglyphic gameplay. For video, that should never be osu!'s concern. Convert the video somewhere else and import it; it would be too much of a waste of resources. For gameplay, it's a pretty niche market, but there might be some way to skin a map so that the hitobjects "pop" from the background.
mekadon_old
Unless if someone is making a 3D anaglyphic skin I'll support this.
Letting BG and video as background a.k.a 2D seems better than making everything 3D
anonymous_old
Don't some video drivers/extensions allow you to do this?
Feno_old
The thing I'm wondering is,how often would this be used if it ever got implemented? I'm by no means a tech expert,but this sounds like a complex thing to achieve,so if it became supported,how many people would be able to make their beatmaps 3D? Would it be a complex thing that only a select few would be able to make,or would it be possible for someone to do with just a bit of guidance? Cuase if it would be overly complex and only seen in a couple of maps,is it worth the trouble?
That said,if it would play out as I imagine it to,it would be awesome! Sick 3D storyboarding? Hell yes...
Gabi
doesn't this need a 120HZ monitor?
Kitsunemimi

Gabi wrote:

Since when did applying a video filter ever have anything to do with the refresh rate?

3D movies aren't 120FPS.
anonymous_old

Harris73 wrote:

Gabi wrote:

Since when did applying a video filter ever have anything to do with the refresh rate?

3D movies aren't 120FPS.
Gabi is referring to shudder-based solutions.

I don't think the OP is referring to that.

Also, you don't need 120Hz to get shuddered 3D. It's just smoother that way.
Gabi
ah alright, well this all looks very complicated, and sounds like it's not worth the trouble imo :s
Numbbi
3D osu! ..

No no no. Not good.
mm201
Shuttered 3d is stroboscopic and awful. Polarization 3d for life!

Who knows if this might become useful~
Roga-don
interesting idea~ :lol:
Topic Starter
Clemaister
I've got a normal screen (60 Hz) and thanks to my graphic card and the Nvidia controller settings I can play games in 3D.
anonymous_old

Clemaister wrote:

I've got a normal screen (60 Hz) and thanks to my graphic card and the Nvidia controller settings I can play games in 3D.
60Hz is typical, not normal.

Also, you'd be getting 30(effective)FPS games.
mm201
Also you'd better hope your LCD has a perfect response time or you'll see ghosts of the other eye.

So-called "3d" TVs actually use different pixels for each eye and strobe using multiple backlights.
anonymous_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

Also you'd better hope your LCD has a perfect response time or you'll see ghosts of the other eye.
CRT's: high refresh rate, no ghosting.

MetalMario201 wrote:

So-called "3d" TVs actually use different pixels for each eye and strobe using multiple backlights.
Really? Heh. Circumvent flaws in the LCD by doubling the price!
mm201
No. When it goes to 3d mode, it uses a dither pattern so you basically get half the pixels in each eye.

3d is enough of an eyestrain without the CRT tyvm.
anonymous_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

3d is enough of an eyestrain without the CRT tyvm.
Pfft.
nhii
can someone give me a pair of 3d sunglasses?!? :DD lol
D33d
I have to admit that I'm entertaining the notion of the hit circles themselves being displayed with different depths. It could be an interesting way of differentiating between combos and such.
theMikeAG
I could see stacks looking very cool with this.

But it's probably not going to happen. Oh well, we can dream.
Neruell
I am sure if it goes further then the next request will be, use stuff like kinect to be able to hit circles with your bare hand. also while playing with hands you can use feet for beatmania style. Also make the whole game holographic or augmented reality and not even use a monitor. Circles popping around you and you must hit them. Also implement guns so you can shoot the circles to get points and if they hit you you lose your combo. I am sure peppy has so muh freetime and so much resources to allow every player to enjoy the wonders of the future Osu!.

Why do people suggest things like 3D Osu! when there are much more things that must be fixed first or implemented before even thinking of that. Anyway 3D Osu! even if it will be made some day I doubt that "everyone" can enjoy the "3D" feature or is someone willing to pay to every player around 600$ to get a proper hardware for it?
Yakety Saxer
To get a 3D Background video, you'd need the video content IN the background to be 3D enabled. As music videos go, this is few and far between.
ziin
storyboard it.
theowest

JesusYamato wrote:

Sakura Hana wrote:

its completely unnecessary.
also.. This game is in 2D.....