forum

I'm going to try and light a spark in my mapping motivation this week.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LaymooDR
Been a long time since I was last online, but I've decided to start pretiming songs I get ideas to map, even if I can't physically or mentally map at the moment. My theory is that if I pretime enough songs, eventually I will be overwhelmed with an irresistible urge to map again. I hope that will end up being the case.

I'll probably do pretiming commissions, so let me know if that would be a good idea.

See you all soon.
Gsun
Yeah, all I have to say to that is please choose your help wisely and try to have a good time with it, or you'll just have the same problems you used to with the community and mapping again, trust me.
semaphore
Good luck!

Also, the stuff people typically commission others to time is pretty crazy. It usually takes years of experience to be able to deal with it. Mazzerin's Recharging the Void is a good example (and it's still mistimed in many parts lol).
spencer1404
honestly just map taiko for a bit it really helped me map songs that where just way to hard for std
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

spencer1404 wrote:

honestly just map taiko for a bit it really helped me map songs that where just way to hard for std
Not sure how that helps anything for std, but okay?
Windows Me

spencer1404 wrote:

i'm trying to understand the logic behind this
lewski
nah spencer is onto something, taking inspiration from other rhythm games is super epic

smth like jubeat would be more transferable than taiko though
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

lewski wrote:

nah spencer is onto something, taking inspiration from other rhythm games is super epic

I'm just lost on how that would make std any easier.
furry hater

LaymooDR wrote:

lewski wrote:

i think he's saying on that practically, you kinda get what is important in a map in std like lower and higher pitches, as well as how to have the beatmap make sense (if you have to tap to the vocals/singing or if you have to tap to the instrumentals and drums)

in general use (other than standard osu) if you have a song with very complex time measures (polyrhythm or older songs that haven't been quantized) it would be easier to time the patterns
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

furry hater wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

lewski wrote:

i think he's saying on that practically, you kinda get what is important in a map in std like lower and higher pitches, as well as how to have the beatmap make sense (if you have to tap to the vocals/singing or if you have to tap to the instrumentals and drums)

in general use (other than standard osu) if you have a song with very complex time measures (polyrhythm or older songs that haven't been quantized) it would be easier to time the patterns
not really anything I don't know, but alright. I guess it makes a bit of sense.
semaphore

Windows Me wrote:

spencer1404 wrote:

I guess because taiko is way easier/faster to map it can get you back into the mindset for mapping, or replenish your motivation or something
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

semaphore wrote:

Windows Me wrote:

spencer1404 wrote:

I guess because taiko is way easier/faster to map it can get you back into the mindset for mapping, or replenish your motivation or something
If it is that easy, let's see you rank a taiko map then.
furry hater

LaymooDR wrote:

semaphore wrote:

Windows Me wrote:

spencer1404 wrote:

weird logic but ok
semaphore

LaymooDR wrote:

semaphore wrote:

Ironically, experienced taiko mappers would never take offense to what I said
Topic Starter
LaymooDR

semaphore wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

semaphore wrote:

Not that I'm taking offense. Just confused on why it should be THAT easy.
semaphore

LaymooDR wrote:

semaphore wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

semaphore wrote:

Well I'm definitely not saying it's easy, it's just a less involved process than mapping for standard.

For starters, it's a 1.5D gamemode (notes move along a line, although you get 2 types of notes) as opposed to standard's full 2 dimensions. Maps are constructed around a handful of core patterns (think DDK, KKD, KDK, DKD, etc.), especially kantans and futsuus which are completely trivial to make and can be copypasted between songs as a result. Not saying low diffs in standard aren't the same way, but you have shit like distance snapping and playfield usage to worry about as well, and the lack of those things in taiko makes copypasting patterns a lot more convenient. Those are just the things I could think of off the top of my head.
WitherMite

LaymooDR wrote:

semaphore wrote:

LaymooDR wrote:

semaphore wrote:

same goes for mania tbh, though to a lesser degree I think - never mapped taiko. There's just less to need to think about compared to std, limited number of patterns after all. Means mapping for them is just faster.
Zelzatter Zero
Even tho mapping other rhythm games may be a good idea, I don't think taiko is a way to go tbh. Hitsounding alone is fundamentally different from std, much less rhythm choice deriving from such. Probs at best you can use that to know more abt the ranking process.

Personally I think something alone the line of Cytus or following lewski's suggestion, jubeat, is better for this.
Randomness64