forum

[Archived] File associations messed up after removing tourney client

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HonokaKousakaTV
So tonight I set up the tourney client to mess around with, and quickly deleted it (can't use it anyway lol). It seems that when I opened the osu!.exe for it, it reset all the file associations to it. I deleted the folder and now every file keeps trying to open in it. Going to the Windows settings shows that everything still opens in the non-existent tourney folder, and trying to switch it back to the main one just seems to do nothing.
I get this is more of a Windows problem than an osu! problem, but I'm asking here in case anyone else has had the same issue. I can take a video in the morning if needed.
Blushing
You could try rerunning the installer on top of your old osu! folder and try launching the .exe from inside the folder instead of a shortcut.
Topic Starter
HonokaKousakaTV
I had already tried that, as well as using the repair tool. Neither worked.
Death

NoelleTGS wrote:

and trying to switch it back to the main one just seems to do nothing.
What steps did you take to try switching everything back?
Topic Starter
HonokaKousakaTV

Death wrote:

NoelleTGS wrote:

and trying to switch it back to the main one just seems to do nothing.
What steps did you take to try switching everything back?
Here's a video I made showing what happens. Essentially, selecting the correct osu!.exe doesn't seem to affect anything as it still shows the file path as the tourney folder.
Just as an added bit of info here's what it shows when I try to open an .osk file.
Death
Can you try going through the right click menu to reassign the file association?

It's essentially the same as what you're doing now, but instead of getting there through the Windows settings, right click on an osk file, select "Show more options", and then select "Open With". That should up the same menu that lets you browse your PC for your osu!.exe file. It should also allow you to check a box that says "Always use this app to open .osk files".
Topic Starter
HonokaKousakaTV
No dice, it's just the same prompt as before with the same issue.
Death
If you think this is being caused by the files having the same name, then try choosing something completely different and if that works you can then try changing it to your osu!.exe file.
Topic Starter
HonokaKousakaTV
Changing the osu filename actually does make it show up as "osu!" instead of the dead filepath, but opening it (either with the exe itself or by opening a beatmap) will show this error, so I guess it doesn't like that.
Picking a different file adds it to the "More Options" list but the dead filepath will always stay in the "Suggested Apps" and set it back to that when retrying the properly named osu!.exe.
Death
Yeah don't do that.

Just to be clear, you've tried running the game normally through the correctly named osu!.exe file, right? When you ran the installer, were you given a UAC prompt or did it just run normally?
Topic Starter
HonokaKousakaTV
Sorry for whatever reason I thought you said to try renaming the file in your previous message lol. Running the game through the correctly named .exe works just fine, and I have UAC prompts disabled on my PC so I'm not really sure if it would have shown up or not on the installer.
Death
In that case, can you please try re-running the installer as an administrator?
Topic Starter
HonokaKousakaTV
No luck.

EDIT: Finally managed to fix it using the solution here. Tl;dr, open command prompt as admin and type
ftype osu!="C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\osu!\osu!.exe" "%1"
This should fix .osz, .osk, and .osr files but if any of them don't get fixed you can easily change it the normal way as long as at least one was changed properly.
Glean
This worked in my situation after secure erasing an old external drive with osu on it. I'm still unable to get icons to show with this method and I'm unsure why.
Topic Starter
HonokaKousakaTV

Glean wrote:

This worked in my situation after secure erasing an old external drive with osu on it. I'm still unable to get icons to show with this method and I'm unsure why.
I had to use an external program to fix the icons, most likely FileTypesMan