forum

[Proposal] Add clause in the RC about duplicated tags

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hivie
Currently, there is nothing said in the RC about duplicate tags (as far as I'm aware of), which causes this huge misconception where people assume they're unrankable, and most of the time they end up posting about them in qualified maps, and they almost always end up denied, with someone more knowledgeable having to explain why to them.

This scenario has happened more frequently in recent times, so I thought a new RC bit about dupe tags would greatly help with clearing this misconception.

Why allow duplicated tags in the first place?

They are mostly used to provide context for things such as album name, label and other useful information related to the song.

Example 1
Kikuo - Hole Dwelling

Kikuo is the artist
Kikuo Miku 6 is the album name
Kikuo Sound Works is the label

Example 2
MYUKKE. - Boudica

Album name is "WE LOVE MYUKKE. EP" , but the mapper chose to omit MYUKKE. because it's already present in the artist field, and that way they avoid duplicating the artist name. This makes the "we love ep" in tags feel very random and unrelated to the song when looking at it.

Tags that are accidentally duplicated (adding pop twice in tags for example) are incredibly minor points and cause no issues whatsoever, which makes a reset/DQ not worth it at all. Not everyone is aware of this which causes the myth of them being unrankable, an assumption that stems from not having anything about them in the RC, which is why I'm making this proposal.

Dealing with abuse cases:

One common abuse case of such allowance is unnecessarily spamming repeated tags to mess with the tag display on the site, excessive file bloat (etc...).
This can easily be dealt with by disallowing abuse cases in the RC clause.

Proposal:

this can be added under Allowances in the Metadata category:

Words can be duplicated in the tags. They are usually used to provide more context to specific information about the song, such as album names and labels.
This does not cover abuse cases as they are disallowed, this includes (but is not limited to) duplicating tags to manipulate the website tags display, or excessively bloating file sizes.

Wording suggestions are always welcome and appreciated.
ikin5050
instead of 'are usually' change to 'should be'
Vulkin
support <3
meiqth
kinda get annoyed by problem stamps about duplicate tags, especially when theyre like the first example xd
would be a nice thing to add

agree w/ ikin's thing, could change "Words" to "Terms" since sometimes tags arent rlly words (abbreviations like mpg/fa or stuff like "ଳ" from here)
Nao Tomori
I think it should be negative: "Avoid duplicate tags unless they provide useful context or otherwise have a reason to exist"
Emre1504
yeah like ikin said, could say "should be" instead of "are usually" but I think this is nice to add, would prevent ppl from posting problem stamps for duplicate/"unneeded" tags
Maxus
Probably worth it to continuing this, as i myself have this mis-conception before, and probably it's worth to be added in the RC to make it more clear for people.
Topic Starter
Hivie
agree, there's no harm in trying to clarify the RC for the majority
realy0_

Hivie wrote:

Dealing with abuse cases:

One common abuse case of such allowance is unnecessarily spamming repeated tags to mess with the tag display on the site, excessive file bloat (etc...).
This can easily be dealt with by disallowing abuse cases in the RC clause.
could just remove the "excessive file bloat" cuz there's a max amount of characters/tags i believe (around 1500 characters) and adding extra text literally doesn't make the file size excessive unlike a bg/video even with 1500 tags
Noffy
I opened a potential Pull Request at https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/7131 . Since it's just saying something that is allowed is allowed I think that should be all that's needed for it

I rephrased it though since I don't think you need to add cases where something is disallowed to an allowance, that would just be confusing to read and would effectively result in a guideline inside the allowances. Instead the allowance specifically mentions when it is allowed.
clayton

Hivie wrote:

Tags that are accidentally duplicated [...] cause no issues whatsoever
to be very pedantic they do actually change some of how search works and from what I can tell can also change result order. not anything significant though. The More You Know
MTNTWarz
I agree