forum

Mp3 policing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_10883764
Recently I see some users policing mp3 for every qualified map across all game modes so I got few questions regarding to that.

1. Why is mp3 police a thing in the first place ?

2. Does that means BNs aren't doing their jobs properly on checking bloated mp3 ?

3. Is there really a difference for different mp3 (assuming AAC codec) with file size difference of 5% or less ?
Even if it is statically different, can regular user differentiate between them ?

Side note: Which one do you think is more annoying, mp3 police or MV/AIMod modder ?
lewski
1. isnt this one kinda obvious? its just cause some people don't think the mp3s in some maps are good enough and they want to do something about it
2. i guess?
3. dont know dont care

side note: brainless MV modders for sure, mp3 "police" have a train of thought i can follow whereas people who just paste stuff from MV without checking if it makes any sense dont have a train of thought at all

its also because ive never actually gotten mp3 policed cause my mp3s are good
P_O
1) I guess some people can spot lower quality audio easier than others. I'm one of those who rly doesn't see much of a diffreence no matter how bad the audio is. If someone notifies you have bad audio and can give you noticeably better one i don't see any problem. If original audio sounds fine and is ok rc wise it's up to mapper if he wants to change it. (also don't see much of a point to notify if audio is rankable and you can't give access to better one)

2) I'd guess most bn's do at least the basic check that the mp3 bitrate is 128-192kbps but would also guess some/most don't care about quality as long as it's ok rc wise.

3) idk at least i can't spot anything but not sure if someone else can.

never rly gotten mv mods or audio mods. (even ranked song ripped from youtube without anyone paying attention)
TheKingHenry

P_O wrote:

2) I'd guess most bn's do at least the basic check that the mp3 bitrate is 128-192kbps but would also guess some/most don't care about quality as long as it's ok rc wise.
this I would wager; at least personally I don't really care for more than that the audio sounds good and is within required range. Anything less obvious than that gets more fickle, depending on a lot of factors, and can end up just being bunch of guesswork for potentially nothing of value. It seems that most of these mp3 polices rely a lot on spec, which is just not end-it-all information. Relevantly enough, my recently ranked map got mp3 police'd in qfed because of this "bloat", despite me using the album flac - aka, everything was actually just fine

that being said it's not like the mp3 polices don't have their place to some extent, since actual issues with used audio files exist too, as can be seen from past examples of this shenanigan. It's just more multifaceted than is perhaps generally thought