forum

Collaboration Consistency

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Xelasto
Hi!

I've been really trying to think about and emphasize consistency and mapping concepts in my own maps lately, and I was wondering:

When trying to get collaborations ranked, do the different parts mapped by the different mappers need to be consistent within themselves or within the whole map? Like if a collab is done between two people, do they both have to use the same or similar concepts to be considered "ranked" quality? Or can they just map their own sections with their own sense of consistency and concepts?

Thanks!
Esutarosa

Xelasto wrote:

Do the different parts mapped by the different mappers need to be consistent within themselves or within the whole map?
Depends on the concept of the map. You can map different patterns as well as something consistent between them. For example, in order to create better contrast, each collaber's can take a separate part in a song and make it in his own style, so the map will be solid and have enough contrast where it is expected.

Xelasto wrote:

Like if a collab is done between two people, do they both have to use the same or similar concepts to be considered "ranked" quality?
No, it's not necessary. It's good when different parts complement themselves, but do not play the role of a counterweight creating an imbalance in the map.

Xelasto wrote:

Or can they just map their own sections with their own sense of consistency and concepts?
Why not? This also works well from the example in the first answer. There are several schemes and each of them is unique, of course, except for the imbalance :)
Nao Tomori
collabs with no synergy can exist but i think they are generally worse unless the song suggests such a dissonance, i think usually some attempt should be made to adapt styles to be at least referencing each other. though it could easily be argued that the point of a collab is to have contrasting styles, otherwise the mapper would just map it all alone instead of collabing.