forum

What qualifies as an old map now?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
awesomebox
When I started playing the game a lot back in 2016 the separation between new and old maps was pretty simple, as usually the old patterns gave it away along with most of them just being 2009 and older; but today it seems like a lot has changed. I was in a vc with some newer players and they mentioned how some 2015 maps qualify as old maps, I understand that times have changed, I'm 6 years older now but it makes me question what qualifies as old? personally I saw 2007-2010 maps as "old maps" and everything after 2012 being new style maps (2011 feels like it is a transitional period where some aspects of both were in maps). but with now the maps made when I joined being considered old what qualifies as an "old map" or better yet, what has even happened to progress beatmapping recently (to me a lot of maps seem like they're very similar)
lewski
old is always gonna be pre-2012/13, don't care what the zoomers say or how objectively old the maps get

cause between ^ and ~2016 we have early modern maps, there's a pretty clear difference between the two eras so it's definitely worthwhile to distinguish early modern from actual old maps

awesomebox wrote:

what has even happened to progress beatmapping recently (to me a lot of maps seem like they're very similar)
go look at more maps, ranked is more diverse than ever. over the past few years, the requirements have gotten more relaxed, the range of things people accept in maps has gotten a lot wider, and it's gotten nearly impossible to stop maps you dislike from getting ranked, so diversity has gone up a ton compared to for example 2016/17
abraker
Any map that plays with slider velocities is a new map for me. You don't see those on older maps. REALLY old maps have those weird long sliders that sometimes go waaaay too fast.
i am very gay

abraker wrote:

Any map that plays with slider velocities is a new map for me. You don't see those on older maps. REALLY old maps have those weird long sliders that sometimes go waaaay too fast.
I really disagree with the sv changes thing. There are so many modern maps that only use sv for sections.
abraker

i am very gay wrote:

abraker wrote:

I really disagree with the sv changes thing. There are so many modern maps that only use sv for sections.
I am saying I consider a map that plays with sv as a new map, but that doesn't imply that a map that does not play with sv is not a new map.