forum

Show state/province user is located in.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +9
Topic Starter
Claudia_old
It's kind of simple, similar to the recent change of America -> United States.

Basically, if you !where somebody who lives in the U.S, it'll show their state as well as their city, if they've selected that option. If you press F9 and hover over the person, it'll show the abbreviation for their state because some names are ridiculously long.

We can use me as an example, you go !where E-Hooker and you get, "E-Hooker is in Bedford, Massachusetts, United States." Via F9, it says something like, United States (Bedford, MA). As long as the state isn't cut off, that's cool.

Another sub-idea to add on to this is, perhaps, even if the person hasn't chosen the option to display their city, if you !where them or look them up via F9, it would show their state's full name, United States. [May not be doable due to privacy reasons?]

So if I disabled my city, it would say "E-Hooker is in Massachusetts, United States". Sounds easy, yes?

Reasoning being is that, if a person has their town/city displayed, it's honestly not that helpful if you don't know what state it's in. Also, there are sometimes more than one of that place. [ex. There's a Bedford, Massachusetts; a Bedford, New Hampshire; and Bedford, Illinois, etc...] It'd just make it a lot easier to actually tell where people are from.

ALSO ADDED IN:

Show provinces for other countries [ex. Montreal, Quebec, Canada] as well. I personally didn't think of this myself because i'm an ignorant self-absorbed american not knowledgeable about other countries, but it can be done in addition to the original idea, right?
ekopret8ks
yes
Kamure
heh, definitely, also another obvious one.... (i.e. Springfield, Massachusetts and Illinois)

Plus the city is sometimes not accurate..... But that's another issue.
Topic Starter
Claudia_old
Hmm, i've always found the city to be accurate. [Hell, if it can find freakin' Bedford, Massachusetts, it could find me in Antarctica!]

But if that wasn't the case, you always have the state to go on!

B> more vote points for my own idea
Kamure
Eh, I don't even think anyone knows my town, unless you know Valley Cottage, New York...

Don't know? Thought so....

But then, again, that's another issue, but showing the state is better....

Vote....
Zelos
Yeah seeing United States - Las Vegas makes no sense. There is more than one Las Vegas in the US
qlum
if your going to state the state in the us why not show the province in other countries.
0_o

qlum wrote:

if your going to state the state in the us why not show the province in other countries.
Yep, was gonna suggest the same thing.
Topic Starter
Claudia_old

qlum wrote:

Fair enough, U.S. is a good place to start though. I don't know crap about any other country.

I'll add that into my post, though.
awp
City/Country is based on IP, so if it's giving a false town, it's probably giving the town of your ISP
Lybydose

awp wrote:

City/Country is based on IP, so if it's giving a false town, it's probably giving the town of your ISP
I get a new city every few days (my IP also changes significantly, as in, not just the last two numbers). It's usually some random small town in my state that I've never heard of.
qlum

awp wrote:

still as the province is a lot bigger it will have a lot higher chance of being right.
city is inaccurate as hell it used to be the right place Hilversum but now it's Amsterdam which is 20km away (about 12miles) this is quite inaccurate.