forum

Anchors in editor (Timing)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
nardii
With my only timing experience being GH customs, I found timing in the osu! editor a lot harder compared to the GH chart editor Feedback. The one feature i found missing in particular were anchors. Anchors are a little hard to explain, but think of it as this:

You go to a certain point in the track and put an anchor there, which you can use to specify that at that point you want it to sync up with the song at a specific time. You then put another anchor elsewhere, specifying another time. The program will then automatically calculate the BPM that is needed to make the space between those two points last the time that you want to be between them.

I've found this to be a very useful solution to time songs with variable BPM, since you can easily move a note forward or backward a little, listen to it, and put an anchor on the place where it should be to have it sync up. I can't think of the best way to implement this in osu!, since both systems work quite differently. In osu!, you can place a timing section on any given time while in GH you can only change the BPM, which means you can only place a timing section where you can place a note, making tools like this more important.

To give an example of it's usefulness, while struggling with the timing on this beatmap I thought of doing it the Feedback way. While my accuracy with my old timing was worse than you could imagine, after transferring the BPM changes into osu!, I nearly SS'd all the sections I had timed in Feedback on my first try (100s were mostly my own fault I think).

tl;dr: Anchors will allow you to time EVERY song perfectly without having to have some sort of BPM sensing abilities.
peppy
I went as far as downloading and trying that editor, but do not understand from playing with it nor reading your wall of text as to how it works. All you are saying is that it supports variable bpm by tweening between two bpm timing points?
Topic Starter
nardii
I'll try to give a better explanation of what I would like to be implemented. Take a look at this.

That's the Rock Band chart for Run to the Hills on drums. All those numbers above the track with the notes next to them are the BPM changes. Let's say you're timing this song and you get to a few measures that all have a slightly different BPM (which happens a lot in this song). How would you time one of those measures in both programs?

In osu:
- Find out time of first note in measure
- Find out time of first note in next measure
- Create timing points on those times
- Figure out BPM

In Feedback:
- Create anchors on those notes

That last step in osu is what could be automated. So, instead of creating 50 billion timing points and figuring out which BPM they all are, you could create 50 billion timing points and check the "Calculate" box and you're done! (after checking if everything lines up and fine-tuning if necessary, of course)
LuigiHann
How does it determine the BPM though? Do you tell it the number of beats between one anchor and another, and it just divides? Or what?
Topic Starter
nardii

LuigiHann wrote:

How does it determine the BPM though? Do you tell it the number of beats between one anchor and another, and it just divides? Or what?
You'd have to specify the number of beats so it can calculate the BPM. It could also be done manually of course, but if you have lots of tempo changes it could be useful.
Echo

nardi11011 wrote:

In osu:
- Create timing points on those times
- Figure out BPM
You make it sound like you have to grab a calculator and calculate it yourself :/

Have you tried tapping the button in the top right corner to get an approximate BPM and then fine tuning it?
Topic Starter
nardii
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.