forum

How can I learn to read streams correctly ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Vykas
Hi,
I have been playing Osu actively for about 5-6 months and generally I allways had the feeling that I was improving. However I recently decided that I want to have a 100 PP play, I was already pretty close my highest being a 94 PP play so it wasn´t that unrealistic to reach that goal. I then proceeded to play many different maps that would award me about 100PP for me to be able to reach that Goal I set for myself. During the process I played many maps that had small streams/bursts in them and I often found that the reason I would break my combo when I encountered a stream( most of the streams were about 140-180bpm). After many failed attempts at those maps I played Jump heavy maps at which I was able to get the desired result. However I am not satisfied with the result also If I was able to reach my goal not being able to fc streams or even read them properly was very demotivating, I went back to some replays and watched them on 0.5 speed and I was still having difficulties reading the stream and identifying the problem. Am I the only one having this kind of Issue ?
pls help :(
mjbathtub
Similar to most skills learned in the game learning to read streams just kind of happens out of nowhere, at least it did for me. The best advice I could give you would be to just play as many stream focused maps as you can with varying bpm. Eventually you'll be able to read streams without even thinking about it. I had this problem as well when I started playing, it's probably one of the biggest road blocks when you're starting to learn harder maps.
mihari
If it helps you, you can try to think of it as a longer tripple, just try to play a tripple but continue the movement while keeping your cursor in the middle of it, moving it forward in a fluid motion. How fast you need to move it depends on the spacing of the stream, however your streams are most likely stacked, so you probably won't have to worry about that for now.
UnnamedBeast
well uh play more streams, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aQ0myjCDfM6AGu8vhrTFc_Fw7H7Y-Moda-PGeXu_3bY/edit?richtext=true#gid=0

this doc is useful for maps (they are quite hard to acc and a few to aim, you might learn to play them just remember to do the low bpm ones as they are the most important for your streaming ability)
mihari

UnnamedBeast wrote:

well uh play more streams

He can't play them, how is he supposed to play them more? This isn't helping him at all.
Almost
Playing streams on lower AR is the best way to learn reading streams properly.
chenny
Just work on bursts first, like triplets and 5-plets, and 7-plets, until you can get to a longer stream.