forum

What is fruit? What is catcher? What exactly catching is?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Scarlet Evans
I tried to simply play the CTB and enjoy it, but after getting random misses over the time, over and over again, where sometimes I was like sure that I will catch the fruit... I got frustrated and decided to find out what is wrong.

I am mostly playing with default skin, sometimes changing to some customs I got from friends, but when I tried to pay attention, the results were the same.

Look at this picture below. Ryuuta is standing still, waiting for a fruit and what happens?

In case of picture not showing up on page, here's the link: http://puu.sh/qNjcD/16f2c6e297.jpg

Yup, the fruit is missed. Even though the most of the fruit is clearly going through the plate, including the middle of the fruit.
Why is it a miss? Shouldn't the fruit clearly go into the plate? The same with Yuzu:

https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5928943
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/5928917

What is the reason of this? Does the catcher have a smaller reach, than graphics suggest? Or maybe "the fruit" is not "a middle of the fruit", but there are some other requirements? For example, the fruit is have actual hitbox, which needs to be caught in full? Why wouldn't the game show you the hitbox then? Or maybe the reason is different?

Please, help me. I don't know how to play CTB. That's because I simply don't understand it. I am sure that I am catching the fruit, but then the fruit just falls down... WTF!? Why!? :cry:

I tried to just play the game, like people said to me, but I can't play and enjoy something that I can't even understand how it's working... I tried to read the FAQ and Wikia's article about CTB, but they don't say completely anything about it (well, I know that Wikia is not actual in many aspects anyway...).

What are exact requirements to catch the fruit?

What exactly, for a game (model?) is a fruit and catcher?

Please, help me to find out how to catch the fruits. I will be really grateful for understanding the exact game mechanics about that! :cry:
iiyo
play more

try to hit the center of all the notes, its not the mechanic of ctb, its you. learn the game a bit more, you're still young blood
Kyptoric
When the catcher reached the fruit, the middle of the fruit was already under the plate and therefore you missed it
CelegaS

Kyptoric wrote:

When the catcher reached the fruit, the middle of the fruit was already under the plate and therefore you missed it
I think he is pointing that fact he started at this position and the fruit just go down without moving the catcher.
I already saw that long time ago but i didn't care about it.

The answer I think it's the platter hitbox is shorter than what we see. Actually there is a formula for catcher size so fruit has a point as hitbox.
You can reduce the platter size in your skin.
Amlink
OK here's the problem you are using a skin with a platter size that exceeds the actual hit box consider finding a skin with a smaller surface platter so you can aim for the center more accurately a lot of players use platters that are way too long and extend past the hit box therefore resulting in what looks like a hit when it's really a miss. Hope this is helpful to you
Topic Starter
Scarlet Evans

Fantasy wrote:

play more

try to hit the center of all the notes, its not the mechanic of ctb, its you. learn the game a bit more, you're still young blood
Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by that. I clearly wrote that the middle (center) of the fruit went through the plate, without being caught... I even added image to that... did you even read / looked at my post or just responded play more automatically? =(
I know that over the time I will start feeling the game much better and maybe will actually find this out myself, but it's weird when you use default catcher, provided by devs and the fruit is clearly going through it without being caught. For me it's something that opposes intuition and the way I understand the game. When the most of the fruit, including the center, falls on edge of the plate of such shape, it should roll inside it, right? ;)

Scarlet Evans wrote:

Ryuuta is standing still, waiting for a fruit and what happens? (...) Yup, the fruit is missed.

Kyptoric wrote:

So I suppose it's not the problem I've got ;)

CelegaS wrote:

Kyptoric wrote:

The answer I think it's the platter hitbox is shorter than what we see. Actually there is a formula for catcher size so fruit has a point as hitbox.
You can reduce the platter size in your skin.

Amlink wrote:

OK here's the problem you are using a skin with a platter size that exceeds the actual hit box consider finding a skin with a smaller surface platter so you can aim for the center more accurately a lot of players use platters that are way too long and extend past the hit box therefore resulting in what looks like a hit when it's really a miss. Hope this is helpful to you
Thank you for your answers! So it's simply a catcher being a hitbox and fruit being a point? Gotcha! =)
It's kind of surprising, as I am mostly using default catcher Yuzu. I wouldn't thought to meet this kind of problem even on the default catcher.

I will look for a skin like that. Maybe someone have such skin to share or at least know the exact size of the hitbox? Someone on reddit adviced me to use this skin: t/214979/ , but it looks like download links doesn't work anymore :cry:
He Ang CTB
If even the default skin faces this problem then something should be done. I'm trying to go from default skin to circles but this problem might heavily impact my progress. I have realised this problem long ago, the light above the catcher emitted from catching a fruit has never been on the literal edge of the catcher, because it is impossible to catch fruits with the absolute edge of Yuzu.

PLEASE FIX D:
Buster
This is CTB (catch the beat).
You catch the fruit and the catcher is Yuzu (default skin) Ryūta Ippongi (Old default skin).
to play ctb by the arrow keys (<- ->) and you dash by lshift.
to land the fruit the catcher must stay at the middle of the falling fruit until it hits the plate.
the droplets are sliders you need the move slowly to get the droplets if you miss a droplet you will drop acc .
the big droplets are the ticks you need to get it if you miss one big droplet you will miss just like the fruit.
the banana (spinners) you can get many as you want i will not break your combo if you dont get any.
the hypedash is like the fruit but with the red shading layer if you hit a hyperdash you will move fast its better when you use a hyperdash you should press lshit.

thats all for ctb its a simple gamemode that you dont need to learn to much its very easy and simple.
DeletedUser_500696
Really good question. Ideally, you shouldn't need to try to hit the center of all notes since you wouldn't need to worry about an edge miss. This is one of the biggest flaws of ctb imo, it relies on hitboxes for the catcher/fruit and doesn't take into account the various dimensions available. I'm not even sure what the exact hitbox size is and what determines if a fruit is 'caught' but like Kyptoric said I'm assuming the center of the fruit's hitbox is used to determine catches. If the center of this hitbox is outside the edge of the ryuuta's hitbox (which I do not know the hardcoded dimensions of) at the time of it reaching the top of the ryuuta's hitbox then it counts as a miss. If we knew what the hitbox values were we could design the perfect catcher, for now I just use the old ryuuta.

If you really want to make sure you catch each note however, I recommend ExGon's skin and using a ryuuta with a conservative plate size. This will help you catch the center of each note and minimize your misses.
Jesper
You can try and make a skin where the plate is as big as the hitbox.
Qiyana

- L I T H - wrote:

nice bump boiiiii
DeletedUser_500696

- L I T H - wrote:

True, I think a lot of skins do that. When I wrote that I was mainly thinking about how difficult it is to tell if a fruit is caught just from a visual because of the edges of the catcher hitbox. Like if you're trying to catch a fruit using the edge of the catcher for whatever reason, it becomes harder to tell if you're going to catch it or not. The center of the fruit is more difficult to compare to the edge of the catcher's hitbox. Maybe in addition to a full sized plate you can add a vertical line in the fruit's skin showing where the edge of the 'caught' hitbox is, I tried to illustrate here:

45Traeath

Lolinator2000 wrote:

You catch the fruit and the catcher is Yuzu (default skin)[...].
I've been wondering what's her name, thank you '-'

-Kurisu- wrote:

Does that catching range also count for now's Default?
DeletedUser_500696
I think the default catcher is bigger than the catching range lol, at least whenever I use it that's how I feel
Zak

45Traeath wrote:

Lolinator2000 wrote:

You catch the fruit and the catcher is Yuzu (default skin)[...].
I've been wondering what's her name, thank you '-'
Yuzu is a guy
45Traeath

Zak wrote:

Yuzu is a guy
That's one more info'.

And there I was thinking of nicknaming him "Suguri", when I didn't know a thing.
That will be "Suguru", then XD