forum

Poll 7: What would you like to ask the community?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
This may come across as a horribly lazy way of doing things, but I am lacking inspiration at the moment so here goes: What would you like to see in future Community Voice polls? The criteria is any question which will help us understand how people interact with osu! better.

This time around there is no poll -- just reply with your suggestions for future questions (you may make multiple suggestions, but one post per person please)!
Shinde
Perhaps a poll involving the monthly ranked charts. This is one of the few things I can think of that's been going under discussion lately and could use some community feedback. Currently, I believe Cyclone is handling most of the process of putting them together, but I have heard complaints over the song selection and process. Why not get an opinion of how the users think charts should be handled?

Ex. Do you think normal users should be able to vote for charted maps? Left up to MATs, BATs? Just the highest rated songs for that month? Also, roughly how many maps per month is a good number to select?

As a note, people were complaining there aren't enough.. Nightcore and Japanese songs, and too many English ones. Should song genre limitations be taken into consideration as well? (Ex. Try to have at least x songs of various/certain languages and genre, to provide an assured broad range of chart songs.)

Please forgive me if this suggestion is half-assed or horrible. I was trying to read other polls to understand what has been suggested, and I think previous polls have already covered many important questions regarding the community.
awp

Shinde wrote:

As a note, people were complaining there aren't enough.. Nightcore and Japanese songs, and too many English ones.
Did you write what I'm reading or has my head been damaged? Too much English, not enough JP/Nightcore? Not the other way around?

I agree with your "What do you think of the monthly ranked charts?" direction, though. As it is becoming the "focus" of competitive single-player, a lot of people will have things to say about it.
CheeseWarlock
I liked the fact that it was a place for us (BATs and MATs) to say "these are the maps WE like, and have specially selected based on our own tastes". Given that's the current definition, people really can't complain about the results, but the method itself could be up for discussion.
Ekaru
I have a simple suggestion that could be quite informative.

"What level of difficulty do you play the most/prefer?"

I suggest this simply because from what I've seen not even close to everybody plays the hardest difficulty, and this could be useful information to know.

I also agree with questions about the monthly charts.
Gabi

awp wrote:

Shinde wrote:

As a note, people were complaining there aren't enough.. Nightcore and Japanese songs, and too many English ones.
Did you write what I'm reading or has my head been damaged? Too much English, not enough JP/Nightcore? Not the other way around?

I agree with your "What do you think of the monthly ranked charts?" direction, though. As it is becoming the "focus" of competitive single-player, a lot of people will have things to say about it.
It started out with it being "too many" jap/th/nightcore songs, So it has kind of become "we must pick english songs". Now check last months ranking chart, 11/18 english songs.

Anyways, i think shinde's request would be interesting.
awp
I wonder if we should let this become the next topic because right now I can see this thread being derailed into a discussion about ranked charts and I'm at the heart of it

frankly I don't think language should be considered, but musical genre: in the June charts there were 11 10 English songs, which would have been fine had there been more variety in the genre (there was like one punk song, 2 rock songs, and a bunch of synthpop/poprock/wussrock) and while japanese music does have its own palette of flavours, the vast majority of japanese music mapped is pop, so there's where the complaint is coming from, I think.
K2J
I agree that I'd like to see ranked charts as a new topic, especially since (apparently) they're going to become the only way for ranked score, making it an important issue.

But I'd really like to see the community answer, "Why do you go for Ranked Maps?" Is it the personal recognition? The affirmation that your map meets a certain quality threshold? The challenge? To learn more about mapping? To participate in the community? To contribute to the growing list of maps? I'm sure we all have our motivations for doing so, even if we don't play the game proper.
Colin Hou
As we all know, when mappers update a mapset, a message may appear in their Recent Activity.The current rule is, if this mapset has 2 or 2+ diffs, this message appears.

For W.I.P mapsets, they usually do update, for test play/timing help/save this on server and so on, then this message will flood their Recent Activity. So I suggest change the rule to for pendings only. Pending maps is mostly has 2 or 2+ diffs and then some approval map has 1 diff but is finished will has this message too.

Sorry for my pool english.
ekopret8ks
nevermind - edit
Nactra
they're going to become the only way for ranked score, making it an important issue.
wait what ? why not making a "standard" ranking (charts) and an "eternal" one (everything) ?
as much as i would love an overrall chart ranking, deleting the old way will result in me, and every people that are here mainly for ladder, playing almost only maps selected in charts. While i'm in favor of chart ranking becoming the new reference ladder, i don't think it's good to completly obsolete the previous one for the health of the game.
Hyguys

Shinde wrote:

you forgotted spanish songs <3
SilentWings_old
Can we actually get a mod that double times the song and not 1.5x it?
Randy96
Do you think the mapping criteria is too strict? Too lenient? Would you want to change it? How and why?
Forgot about Poll 5, lol.

or: Do you think there should be a set of rules for a map to be considered X difficulty?
James2250

SilentWings wrote:

Most of the osu community can't dt 90% of maps already so meh?~ Not really needed in my opinion

Randy96 wrote:

Do you think the mapping criteria is too strict? Too lenient? Would you want to change it? How and why?
Basically this

Randy96 wrote:

Do you think there should be a set of rules for a map to be considered X difficulty?
Aren't there some rules already? But might make a more interesting discussion I suppose
rust45

SilentWings wrote:

IIRC it used to be like this, then it was changed as it was too insane.
SilentWings_old
some songs are only 180 bpm on double time (120 x2) and those maps if really doubled (240) are still playable.
SapphireGhost
I'd like to ask the community:
Do you think it's annoying when someone asks you to play their beatmap in chat?
I want to try it, but I'm not sure if people get mad or not :P

Edit time: I have a new question. What is the best way to bring attention a beatmap (politely, of course) apart from just giving it your own kudosu stars?
Claudia_old

SapphireGhost wrote:

I'd like to ask the community:
Do you think it's annoying when someone asks you to play their beatmap in chat?
I want to try it, but I'm not sure if people get mad or not :P
yes, I find it rather annoying or i don't care hehe
Mara
I'd like to ask the community that; How long did they realize there was a forum?
James2250

LunaticMara wrote:

I'd like to ask the community that; How long did they realize there was a forum?
Seeing as most people need to go on the site to download maps it can't be that hard to figure out?
Mara
Dumb people exist. I've been reading topics in Introduction forum and some people say that they didn't realize there was a forum. (I mean after they registered in osu!)
dvtclock
can you make 2 choice for taiko.....i dont like the sound.for is better if use drum sound not taiko sound.so i suggest please make 2 option for taiko 1.the taiko sound and 2.the sound with oldstyle,the drum sound
cathas

dvtclock wrote:

can you make 2 choice for taiko.....i dont like the sound.for is better if use drum sound not taiko sound.so i suggest please make 2 option for taiko 1.the taiko sound and 2.the sound with oldstyle,the drum sound
^Agreed, that would be nice :)
RandomJibberish
Make a new skin folder with just the sounds in it, or just use the Taiko skin. Problem solved :V
qlum
I would ask are you playing osu! on 4x3, 16x9, 16x10 or windowed the result of such poll may give an idea if osu! should keep its focus on 4x3 or should shift the focus to widescreen. I added a windowed option because if you're playing windowed the aspect ratio isn't that important anymore.
ShaggoN
5:4 and osu! can't use 1280x1024 resolution. ;.;
Soaprman
I play in a 1024x768 window. So, 4:3 here.
Galkan
1280x960, windowed (although I would like to have x1024 option).
Kert
1024x768 fullscreen - 4:3
show more