forum

[Archived] Spinner Skin Not Working

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
PokeMayne
Problem Details:
I am trying to make a custom skin just for myself, and everything works except for the spinner. I have tried to restart, remove and put back in the files, but it always goes back to the default spinner.
If you are wondering I am trying to use the spinner from https://osu.ppy.sh/b/328584
I am using all the files from that spinner to put in my own files but I am not using the spinner-background.png because I want mine to be transparent rather than a snake.
The spinner still works perfectly on the Snake Eyes beatmap where I originally got the spinner from however it is not working with any other beatmap.

This is my skin folder ^
This is what happens when I try to use the spinner ^
What the spinner should look like (without the background) ^

osu! version: 20150401.2 (latest)
Wingman626

PokeMayne wrote:

Problem Details:
I am trying to make a custom skin just for myself, and everything works except for the spinner. I have tried to restart, remove and put back in the files, but it always goes back to the default spinner.
If you are wondering I am trying to use the spinner from https://osu.ppy.sh/b/328584
I am using all the files from that spinner to put in my own files but I am not using the spinner-background.png because I want mine to be transparent rather than a snake.
The spinner still works perfectly on the Snake Eyes beatmap where I originally got the spinner from however it is not working with any other beatmap.
refer to this skin tutorial and this section of the Wiki to make sure you are using files correctly
Fleuret
Looks to me like you need to change the skin version in your skin.ini. Those spinner files are meant for the old style spinner. What you're seeing are from the newer version. You need to change the version in your skin.ini to 1. Or you can just change your spinner-circle to spinner-top, change spinner-metre to spinner-glow and make copies of your blank files and name them spinner-bottom, spinner-middle, and spinner-middle2. But your spinner metre will function differently.
Topic Starter
PokeMayne

Fleuret wrote:

Looks to me like you need to change the skin version in your skin.ini
Firstly how do I find skin.ini and how do I update it?
Topic Starter
PokeMayne

wingman626 wrote:

PokeMayne wrote:

Problem Details:
refer to this skin tutorial and this section of the Wiki to make sure you are using files correctly
I can't really find anything that I'm not doing properly
Fleuret
You make the skin.ini yourself or modify the skin.ini from another skin. It's basically a notepad file. Just change the extension to .ini. If that's too hard then copy the skin.ini from another skin you downloaded. It's in the same folder where those skin elements are. Just change the version to 1.
Just about everything you need for skinning related things are here t/186787&start=0 along with links to the other threads in the op.
Make sure to post future related skinning questions here:

wingman626 wrote:

refer to this skin tutorial
Wingman626

Fleuret wrote:

You make the skin.ini yourself or modify the skin.ini from another skin. It's basically a notepad file. Just change the extension to .ini. If that's too hard then copy the skin.ini from another skin you downloaded. It's in the same folder where those skin elements are. Just change the version to 1.

that skin.ini is an example

yes, just like fleuret stated, if your skin folder doesn't contain one, you can make one yourself or modify one from another skin.
Topic Starter
PokeMayne

wingman626 wrote:

Fleuret wrote:

that skin.ini is an example

yes, just like fleuret stated, if your skin folder doesn't contain one, you can make one yourself or modify one from another skin.
Okay, the spinner works now. However the sound for it is changed and really strange. Do you know how to change the spinner sound to default?
Topic Starter
PokeMayne

Fleuret wrote:

Just about everything you need for skinning related things are here t/186787&start=0 along with links to the other threads in the op.
Make sure to post future related skinning questions here:

wingman626 wrote:

refer to this skin tutorial
The text for when I complete a song is off when I finish
Fleuret
There are height differences between version 1 and version 2. You'll have to make adjustments on it yourself via editing the file by an image editing program like gimp/photoshop etc etc. Make sure to check the links posted and look over them carefully.
Topic Starter
PokeMayne

Fleuret wrote:

There are height differences between version 1 and version 2. You'll have to make adjustments on it yourself via editing the file by an image editing program like gimp/photoshop etc etc. Make sure to check the links posted and look over them carefully.
Alright then, but how do I change the spinner sound file to the default one? It sounds creepy now
Also I can't find which files to actually edit pls help
VeilStar
Could you upload your skin? This can likely be fixed easily with some file name changes.
Topic Starter
PokeMayne

VeilStar wrote:

Could you upload your skin? This can likely be fixed easily with some file name changes.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zikiy ... Custom.rar
VeilStar
Well.. You can't use a spinner-metre with skin version 2 or higher. So if you really want that you're 'forced' to use version 1.
Otherwise you can have the spinner working properly with version 2 or higher (2.4) but then without the spinner-metre.
Download this, delete all the spinner files, and replace it with the ones in there if that's fine and you still want version 2 (or higher).

So yeah, it's a trade-off either way.
Topic Starter
PokeMayne

VeilStar wrote:

Well.. You can't use a spinner-metre with skin version 2 or higher. So if you really want that you're 'forced' to use version 1.
Otherwise you can have the spinner working properly with version 2 or higher (2.4) but then without the spinner-metre.
Download this, delete all the spinner files, and replace it with the ones in there if that's fine and you still want version 2 (or higher).

So yeah, it's a trade-off either way.
Alright it works now, but I still really want that spinner-metre.png because it lets me know when I have finished spinning and how close I am. It's really convenient. Is there any way at all that I can still use that spinner metre? Thanks
VeilStar

PokeMayne wrote:

Is there any way at all that I can still use that spinner metre? Thanks
Only by using skin version 1.
As I said, it's a trade off you have to make
Topic Starter
PokeMayne

VeilStar wrote:

PokeMayne wrote:

Is there any way at all that I can still use that spinner metre? Thanks
Only by using skin version 1.
As I said, it's a trade off you have to make
I guess I'd rather the spinner-metre then...
Thanks for your help VeilStar. Do you have any idea why Peppy removed the ability to use spinner-metre in version 2?
VeilStar

PokeMayne wrote:

Thanks for your help VeilStar.
No worries.

PokeMayne wrote:

Do you have any idea why Peppy removed the ability to use spinner-metre in version 2?
Well it was a re-design, stuff got changed around. Features from skin version X on skin version Y just don't work.