forum

Good one day and then your VERY bad the next?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Cartographer
Basically one day you'll be at the top of your game, the scores you get seem to happen automatically with a few retries, you can stream the fastest possible with the best accuracy your capable of and make every jump that gets presented to you.

And then the next day your total ****. You'll pick up your pen and it feels awkward, you fingers will stall when you try and stream and you get 80-90% accuracy. You'll try and try again and you just keep getting worse and worse from there.

I'm currently rank 8,007 as of posting this, I play a lot more then average, at about 2-6 hours per day (Let's say 15-25 hours per week). I'm thinking it could be exhaustion, or perhaps I'm developing RSI, however I don't necessarily feel pain often (If at all), and as I said one day will go perfect and then the next will be the complete opposite. is there any reasoning behind it?

It would be nice to know if anyone else gets anything similar to this just so I know I'm not alone.

It's extremely frustrating and absolutely kills my motivation, I understand this is just a game, but hopefully you can understand.
Tachibana Rika
When I get that, I just take break from osu for few days, and It usually works :)
Vuelo Eluko
you probably expected to be just as good going into it the next day as you were the day before without even being warmed up

doesnt work that way

personally i have to warm-up for 45 minutes to an hour before im playing as well as i like to, which is why i barely play anymore, it's not a fun thing to have to do.
silmarilen
warmup

riince ninja
Topic Starter
Cartographer

silmarilen wrote:

warmup

riince ninja

Riince wrote:

you probably expected to be just as good going into it the next day as you were the day before without even being warmed up

doesnt work that way

personally i have to warm-up for 45 minutes to an hour before im playing as well as i like to, which is why i barely play anymore, it's not a fun thing to have to do.

Cartographer wrote:

I play a lot more then average, at about 2-6 hours per day (Let's say 15-25 hours per week).
I do, doesn't help. I'll get slightly better (Nothing that can get PP) then crash and burn from there.
And then on that special day/days everything just happens..
Yuudachi-kun
I stop trying for pp when that happens.
E m i

Omgforz wrote:

3) playing around with how you angle your wrist is quite important, sometimes you feel like you have an off-day, and one of the possibilities why, is that you have your wrist angled a bit different than usual
Topic Starter
Cartographer

[ Momiji ] wrote:

Omgforz wrote:

3) playing around with how you angle your wrist is quite important, sometimes you feel like you have an off-day, and one of the possibilities why, is that you have your wrist angled a bit different than usual
I do my best to do that and I did notice this, however even with the improvements, on those days it just doesn't help. :(
Yuudachi-kun

Cartographer wrote:

I do my best to do that and I did notice this, however even with the improvements, on those days it just doesn't help. :(
Remember, the same things that make us laugh, make us cry. It's written in the book.
Topic Starter
Cartographer

Kheldragar wrote:

Cartographer wrote:

Remember, the same things that make us laugh, make us cry. It's written in the book.
This is interesting. :o
Yuudachi-kun
My suggestion is to also attempt to , on days you feel you're doing crap, play 5+ star songs nomod for fc. Not necessarily fc them, but to beat your previous combo.

But I'm biased against DT and people's improvement with it :^)
E m i
i know where you can improve

;)
bigfeh
It's called a bad day. Waiting for a good day might work
Topic Starter
Cartographer

bigfeh wrote:

It's called a bad day. Waiting for a good day might work
Bu.. But. What if it never happens... D:
buny
yeah, I'm still waiting for that day i spontaneously become cookiezi too
bigfeh

buny wrote:

yeah, I'm still waiting for that day i spontaneously become cookiezi too
well it worked for cookiezi amirite
Noobsicle
omgforz made a nice comment on a thread in reddit which may/may not help, but is good advice nonetheless

Omgforz wrote:

The change of your elbow and trying to relax your muscle will not have a dramatic effect on your playstyle. I switched multiple times, and I always ended up aiming about the same after a week of playing.

Your post sounds pretty depressing, or rather disappointed. Disappointed in your inability to improve and even go as far as to decay in skill. To which I would say it's mostly just a mental block, because you apparently were able to certain things already but somehow unlearned them. (as long as you just didn't mindlessly spam over them beforehand) In your situation I would most likely try to change my mindset.

NEVER EXPECT TO PERFORM AT YOUR PEAK.
I can not stress this enough, if you've done something amazing once in the past, never expect it to happen again, you will only be faced with disappointment, which doesn't help a lot in your current situation, or in any situation for that matter.

START NOT GIVING A SHIT.
Dead serious, if you start not giving a shit you will not tense up as much to get that one really cool fc for them mad pps. Take scores as they come and go, if you missed, this is an indicator that you suck, and you should do something about it. Every miss is an indication of a lack of skill one way or another. Accept them, don't try to sweet-talk yourself into saying it's "just another random miss".
Another habit I would try is to only go for retries when you want to train a specific thing which you can't do. (getting that 99% acc on that one od10 song, trying to stream 200 bpm for 1000 notes, reading and aiming a hard pattern)
Followed by trying to fundamentally establish those skills by applying them in random songs. Just playing a lot of different songs and trying to 1 try fc them. If you notice a pattern you have problems in, retry it until you get it right once without spamming mindlessly. Your goal is to not get it right that ONE time, it is to get it right EVERY time, so you're going to remember that beatmap and try it again on a later date. (retrying is fine, if it's on another day or a few hours apart from the last try, it's all up to you to set the rules for this)

TRY TO STAY AS CALM AND RELAXED AS POSSIBLE
This is another important part, going from singletapping to streaming or bursting might be difficult because you're tensing up too hard. It might be great because of tensing up you are able to hit those patterns and reach the speed, but your transitioning is suffering because of it and you can start to shake pretty easily. Staying calm and relaxed while playing outright insane songs is the goal in mind, this state is something everyone should strive for. (This does not mean never tense up, you need to tense up to reach new heights, but once you reach them, try to work at them until it is second nature to you)

That's about it for what I can say through my experience right now. Since your training method wasn't working for you, I tried sharing some of my past experiences and finds to maybe give you a different guideline to follow for a change.
Topic Starter
Cartographer

Noobsicle wrote:

omgforz made a nice comment on a thread in reddit which may/may not help, but is good advice nonetheless

Omgforz wrote:

The change of your elbow and trying to relax your muscle will not have a dramatic effect on your playstyle. I switched multiple times, and I always ended up aiming about the same after a week of playing.

Your post sounds pretty depressing, or rather disappointed. Disappointed in your inability to improve and even go as far as to decay in skill. To which I would say it's mostly just a mental block, because you apparently were able to certain things already but somehow unlearned them. (as long as you just didn't mindlessly spam over them beforehand) In your situation I would most likely try to change my mindset.

NEVER EXPECT TO PERFORM AT YOUR PEAK.
I can not stress this enough, if you've done something amazing once in the past, never expect it to happen again, you will only be faced with disappointment, which doesn't help a lot in your current situation, or in any situation for that matter.

START NOT GIVING A SHIT.
Dead serious, if you start not giving a shit you will not tense up as much to get that one really cool fc for them mad pps. Take scores as they come and go, if you missed, this is an indicator that you suck, and you should do something about it. Every miss is an indication of a lack of skill one way or another. Accept them, don't try to sweet-talk yourself into saying it's "just another random miss".
Another habit I would try is to only go for retries when you want to train a specific thing which you can't do. (getting that 99% acc on that one od10 song, trying to stream 200 bpm for 1000 notes, reading and aiming a hard pattern)
Followed by trying to fundamentally establish those skills by applying them in random songs. Just playing a lot of different songs and trying to 1 try fc them. If you notice a pattern you have problems in, retry it until you get it right once without spamming mindlessly. Your goal is to not get it right that ONE time, it is to get it right EVERY time, so you're going to remember that beatmap and try it again on a later date. (retrying is fine, if it's on another day or a few hours apart from the last try, it's all up to you to set the rules for this)

TRY TO STAY AS CALM AND RELAXED AS POSSIBLE
This is another important part, going from singletapping to streaming or bursting might be difficult because you're tensing up too hard. It might be great because of tensing up you are able to hit those patterns and reach the speed, but your transitioning is suffering because of it and you can start to shake pretty easily. Staying calm and relaxed while playing outright insane songs is the goal in mind, this state is something everyone should strive for. (This does not mean never tense up, you need to tense up to reach new heights, but once you reach them, try to work at them until it is second nature to you)

That's about it for what I can say through my experience right now. Since your training method wasn't working for you, I tried sharing some of my past experiences and finds to maybe give you a different guideline to follow for a change.
+1

I've started going back and HD all my 4 star 99% S ranks just for fun/warmup.

Omgforz wrote:

The change of your elbow and trying to relax your muscle will not have a dramatic effect on your playstyle.
I don't agree 100%, I've found that there is a position for my arm that does help a lot more then others (maybe because I use full area). With that said it doesn't guarantee anything performance wise.
zwoots

[ Momiji ] wrote:

i know where you can improve

;)
rekt
Upskirt

Cartographer wrote:

Basically one day you'll be at the top of your game, the scores you get seem to happen automatically with a few retries, you can stream the fastest possible with the best accuracy your capable of and make every jump that gets presented to you.

And then the next day your total ****. You'll pick up your pen and it feels awkward, you fingers will stall when you try and stream and you get 80-90% accuracy. You'll try and try again and you just keep getting worse and worse from there.

I'm currently rank 8,007 as of posting this, I play a lot more then average, at about 2-6 hours per day (Let's say 15-25 hours per week). I'm thinking it could be exhaustion, or perhaps I'm developing RSI, however I don't necessarily feel pain often (If at all), and as I said one day will go perfect and then the next will be the complete opposite. is there any reasoning behind it?

It would be nice to know if anyone else gets anything similar to this just so I know I'm not alone.

It's extremely frustrating and absolutely kills my motivation, I understand this is just a game, but hopefully you can understand.
I've gotten to the point where I can consistently play fairly well nearly all the time. I just played a bit much...
pandaBee
Everyone's skill oscillates. Sometimes you have good days, sometimes you have bad days, what's important though is raising your base abilities. Train yourself so that your average skill level will steadily rise. This means that your good days will become better, your bad days won't be as bad and you'll just improve overall as a player. In other words just keep practicing. If you have a bad day just play slightly easier songs than you would normally do, and if you're having a good day then try approaching those maps that you thought you might have a bit of trouble with.