forum

JRPG / Anime games please!!!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
I was really excited for Drakengard 3 and then i just saw that the Japanese VO is only in the Collector's Edition and its all sold out wherever i look...
Sooooo i need a new Anime / JRPG game to keep me occupied. Have any ideas?:3
B1rd
You might want to look inside the Otaku Culture subforum, specifically the VN/Galgame thread.
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
Not really looking for VN's. JRPG's or games with an Anime art style.
DestinySonata
I always found stuff made by NIS and Gust to be good.
I would list stuff, but there are way too many that I'd want to recommend.
Topic Starter
CoolBeans

DestinySonata wrote:

I would list stuff, but there are way too many that I'd want to recommend.
Please go ahead!! or add me on osu or Steam and talk to me on there.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/gavman2000/
DestinySonata
By the way, is there any specific console you'd like to play in?
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
PS3 mainly. I have other consoles so if its really good i might make an exception.
EineKrone
obvious suggestion is obvious
Disgaea series, Neptunia(too moe moe maybe?).
Rantai
Valkyria Chronicles. Seriously.
Justykanna
PS3 JPRGs:
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles - Originally released for NGC and Wii. Fantastic pair of games, rereleased recently. Awesome story for both. Must plays if you ever liked the Tales of series.
FFX | FFX-2 - Originally for PS2. Rereleased for PS3 recently. The last Final Fantasy games that I actually consider 'good' outside of FFXIV.
Eternal Sonata - Not an amazing story, but has a really fun, flashy, combat system.
Navizel

Rantai wrote:

Valkyria Chronicles. Seriously.
mathexpert
Can you guys help me out too? What are some good JRPG/Anime games for the DS/3DS? I really want to play stuff like valkyria chronickes and neptunia, but all I have is a 3DS, PC, and wii ;_;
Justykanna

mathexpert wrote:

Can you guys help me out too? What are some good JRPG/Anime games for the DS/3DS? I really want to play stuff like valkyria chronickes and neptunia, but all I have is a 3DS, PC, and wii ;_;
3DS

-Bravely Default's an excellent JRPG. Long game though. Class system in place, four party members.
-Etrian Odyssey Untold / IV (IV for the DS) are solid dungeon crawler type games, but the battle and story system are pretty similar to any JRPG. It also has anime-like graphics. For Untold, I recommend the Story mode as Classic mode really offers very little in terms of story value.
-Tales of the Abyss was released (originally for PS2) so if you have any interest in the Tales games, this is a solid pickup. Battle system's in real time and you control one character, in case you never played a Tales game. They're all generally the same battle system (with minor changes here or there) and most have a solid story. Lots of extras too. They're just long, that's all.

DS
-Dragon Quest IX is possibly my favourite JPRG for the DS so I HIGHLY recommend it if you like them. Four party members and it has a class system. Customizable party members (hair, skin tone, height) too. Story's not top tier, but solid.
-FFIV was a lot of fun, as it's graphics were updated from the old FFIV from the GBA / PS1.
-Luminous Arc 1 / 2 is a strategy game, similar to Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics and I'm only mentioning it here because it's got anime-type graphics.
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
How is Valkryia Chronicles? It seems a tiny bit slow or does it not feel like it? I haven't looked into it much
mathexpert

Justykanna wrote:

mathexpert wrote:

3DS

-Bravely Default's an excellent JRPG. Long game though. Class system in place, four party members.
-Etrian Odyssey Untold / IV (IV for the DS) are solid dungeon crawler type games, but the battle and story system are pretty similar to any JRPG. It also has anime-like graphics. For Untold, I recommend the Story mode as Classic mode really offers very little in terms of story value.
-Tales of the Abyss was released (originally for PS2) so if you have any interest in the Tales games, this is a solid pickup. Battle system's in real time and you control one character, in case you never played a Tales game. They're all generally the same battle system (with minor changes here or there) and most have a solid story. Lots of extras too. They're just long, that's all.

DS
-Dragon Quest IX is possibly my favourite JPRG for the DS so I HIGHLY recommend it if you like them. Four party members and it has a class system. Customizable party members (hair, skin tone, height) too. Story's not top tier, but solid.
-FFIV was a lot of fun, as it's graphics were updated from the old FFIV from the GBA / PS1.
-Luminous Arc 1 / 2 is a strategy game, similar to Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics and I'm only mentioning it here because it's got anime-type graphics.
Thanks! I think I'll try Dragon Quest IX first ^^
BrokenArrow
Yup Dragon Quest was pretty cool, only game I ever played apart from Pokemon on my NDS. Definitely worth a try.
Justykanna

mathexpert wrote:

Thanks! I think I'll try Dragon Quest IX first ^^
Hope you like it! I sure did. Beat that game three times on three different playthroughs for fun. =)
Lemozade
Any of the Tales games or ni no kuni
Shurelia
Mana Khemia Series
Atelier Iris Series
Ar Tonelico Series (Best)

hehe
KudWafu
War of the Human Tanks! Its like 10 bucks on steam but totally worth it!
Kurogamii
Monster Hunter goddamnit
Justykanna

Shurelia wrote:

Atelier Iris Series
Yes. Omg, yes.
Too bad the PS3 Atelier series is nothing close to the Iris...
Kurogamii
okay, persona 4
Shurelia

Justykanna wrote:

Shurelia wrote:

Atelier Iris Series
Yes. Omg, yes.
Too bad the PS3 Atelier series is nothing close to the Iris...
I'll play it
waiting for the emulator though. . . .
EineKrone

Kurogamii wrote:

Monster Hunter goddamnit