forum

Make "disable hitsound" always an option. [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +9
Topic Starter
SirGord
Please, please make an option to just turn off hitsounds entirely. Please.

I've only tried osu! for an hour, but the damn hitsounds are already driving me up the wall. They're disruptive, they're intrusive, and because I'm running osu! on a VM, they're also laggy, throwing my timing off.

I realize that I can just turn down all sound effects entirely, but I really like the menu sound effects from the skin I got. On the other hand, I don't see the logic at all behind making it so you can only turn off hitsounds for beatmaps you've completed. It makes no sense.

Of course, if there's some other way to fix this myself, please by all means enlighten me.
TheVileOne
The game is meant to be played with hitsounds. Your request is futile.
Topic Starter
SirGord
Even at the expense of my ability to play the game at all? That seems more than a little strange.
Saten
But who wants to play when it lags that much?

The hitsounds are a part of the game. I find it rather annoying when there's no sound when hitting the circles.
Topic Starter
SirGord
But see, the game itself isn't lagging. When I play with hitsounds, the hitsounds always come late, so I end up trying to overcompensate by hitting too early and miss a lot of notes. The moment I turn off hitsounds my accuracy goes up 30%. Add to that the fact that I play a lot of StepMania, and so I'm already used to not having any hitsounds. Even if hitsounds are a part of the game, it seems counterintuitive to say "suck it up, it's part of the game" when it's negatively affecting performance. It's not as if they're a crucial part either, and personally, I'd rather take hearing the music for what it is over having a bunch of strange whistling sounds and off-time drum beats messing it up.

To put it another way: say I went to buy a shirt, and there's this tag at the neck part that's really itchy, and I want to cut it off but I (for some reason) can't without contacting the store manager. The store manager then tells me to suck it up because it's a part of the shirt and I should just get used to it. Hitsounds are that itchy tag.
XPJ38

SirGord wrote:

I'm running osu! on a VM
Wait, what?
osu! isn't meant to be played on a virtual machine you know. It needs some of the GPU's power. No surprise if your hitsounds lag.
Try playing the game on a real PC, and tell us if they still lag.

Also, be aware that your request is probably going to get denied in no time because it is against the game creator's vision of the game, which is playing the beatmaps as they are meant to be (i.e. with the original background picture, hitsounds, storyboard, video, etc.)
A lot of similar requests have been made, no one has been accepted (well, except for the fun spoiler settings, but this is more of a compromise than a fully added request).
Saten
You can change the universal offset in options if you want
Try to find what fits best for you (use the offset wizard)
deadbeat
SirGord, i feel your pain. hitsounds drive me insane as well. if you go to options, audio, you can turn the effects sound right down. it won't disable the hitsounds, but you won't hear them. i think its the only way to do it really. peppy doesn't really like wasting mappers efforts by allowing players to disable things straight away unless there is a valid reason, like disabling storyboards that have epilepsy warning ._.
Topic Starter
SirGord
@XPJ38:

See, I'd love to run it on a real PC... if I had one handy. That's what I get for having a Mac. But it's precisely because osu! has "fun spoiler" settings at all that it seems even stranger to only apply it to completed songs. I'd be more understanding if they simply said "it's hardwired into the program", but it simply seems arbitrary that they'd even have an official "turn off the hitsounds" option... but only for songs you've completed. Why is it OK to turn off hitsounds for songs you've completed, but not for any others? There's no correlation that I can see between "whether I've played this song at this particular difficulty" and "whether I want to hear whistles and cymbals". Also, because the function obviously already exists, it would take literally two lines of code being changed to implement what I'm suggesting anyway.

@Saten:

I have played around with the offset wizard. Again, it's not the game itself that's lagging; it's just the hitsounds come too late.

@deadbeat:

Thanks for the empathy. Coincidentally, turning off all effect sounds is exactly what I'm doing right now. But again, I'm not against all the other sound effects in the game; in fact, the menu feels really empty without the menu sounds, and I'd really like to at least bring those back. Going back to my shirt analogy, it's like getting rid of the tag by cutting off the surrounding fabric as well; it works, but you're left with a giant gaping hole of missing stuff. Which is why I'm trying this hard to get my point across in the first place.
deadbeat
sadly as mentioned above, hitsounds are an important part of this game(godknowswhy). so i don't think peppy will want this added sadly :<
plus if this did get added, people would want the same for skins and storyboards, and then there goes the fun spoiler. so sadly i'm going to have to deny this sorry.
i guess your best bet is play several maps with effects turned off. then turn them back on and disable the hitsounds on your second playthrough.
Kuro

TheVileOne wrote:

Your request is futile.
lol, THIS^

but i feel your pain DB and SirGord :|
Sometimes hitsounds can be annoying and the creator could have done that on purpose too

If someone put 3000000 whistles throughout an entire song the next thing I do would be to:
  1. 1.) Delete that song... :?
  2. 2.) Spam that song's thread telling people not to download it :x
  3. 3.) Find the beatmap creator's house and punch him in the face \>:D/
XPJ38

SirGord wrote:

Why is it OK to turn off hitsounds for songs you've completed, but not for any others? There's no correlation that I can see between "whether I've played this song at this particular difficulty" and "whether I want to hear whistles and cymbals".
Eh, this is exactly the argument a lot of people use (me included) to convince peppy to implement full toggles, especially one for removing the background picture. I'd like to see them personally, but this is a reaaaaally hot debate in the community (see this thread), and the only compromise that has been found is the fun spoiler settings :?
primula01
I'm sorry but i feel 6-12 second whistle in a song does not make a song fun to play. I love Kotoko's agony. But i can't stand the whistles when i hold a slider. I don't see how having a option to remove whistles takes away from a beat rhythm game. i mostly play beat maps with hidden on and do well with out the sound effects from hitting them just from the beat of the song. Adding this feature to toggle on/off is not gonna make or break the game. I am not impressed with support teams response on the post. Replies could had been subtle.
Shohei Ohtani
http://puu.sh/3PWrz.wav

Replace all sound files in your skin with this.

Make sure that your files are set to "Prefer skin's hitsounds"

Not sure if this will override beatmap's custom hitsounds.

I don't really see why hitsounds are an issue (I guess I can understand for osu!mania or something)

Also I forget if there was an official support team 8 months ago, so you can't judge the support team off of something so old :P
primula01
TY, I'm still new to the game and Osu! forums. I found posts from google and not from scanning these forums.
XPJ38

primula01 wrote:

Adding this feature to toggle on/off is not gonna make or break the game.
Well, this isn't a question of whether this feature will break the game or not, it's more of a question of how the game is meant to be played in the first place. Removing every single component of the game alters the way the mapper would like you to play his map and that's not something desirable for him.
You are free to think the opposite of course, but the team here really wants to favour this way of thinking.

(Just so you know, this has been hotly debated a long time ago so the discussion is sort of over now :D )

primula01 wrote:

I am not impressed with support teams response on the post. Replies could had been subtle.
Sorry...?
Besides, as CDFA stated, I was not part of the support team at that time :P
deadbeat
back then, i think it was 2-4 members of the support team. can't remember when milhi and TVO joined.
anyway, hopefully we can end the thread here, that would be nice :p
need any further assistance when anything, feel free to let me or another member of the support team know :)
TheVileOne
I was added to the support team a month before this topic was made. I do not think anything said in this thread by staff was uncalled for. peppy had strong feelings against what the OP wanted, and we were expressing those opinions in the way we felt were necessary. Understand that there are duplicates of these requests and we tag on peppy's behalf.

The good news is that peppy is having a change of heart for such requests. We've also grown as a team and our ability to help has expanded since then. We are more equipped to help than ever before and the administration is more in tune with player problems and is working on ways to resolve those problems. ;)
D33d
Complaining about an issue which is caused entirely by one's ignorance and ridiculous expectations.

Okay!
CeresBane
So hitsounds are not allowed to be turned off because "it's part of the game."

That's pretty much similar in the logic of purists that want to play japanese games with no knowledge of japanese without an english patch.

Okay play your game in japanese, but some people might want to play fate stay night and understand wtf is going on.

It comes off as really stockholm-inspired masochism to me.

I'm expecting alot of "I don't get it", "you don't play enough to understand", but frankly I propose a serious question to you.

Is it REALLY that bad to have the option? The higher level of customisation=the ultimate compromise. Once you have it there is no point in debating.

Sure turn off effects and story boards, should the supposed snowball effect come. If that crap has to do with rankings then, simply set that stuff to automatically becoming unranked play when those options are turned on.

As for hitsounds though... I play alot of technika. And that game has taught me (like all rhythm games) to play for the music. If playing with no hitsounds is such an important part of the game, then by your logic it should be treated as a handicap.

but really its not. its simply a way some people like to play. There is no line of logic as a rhythm gamer how such a thing is so important to playing. Only 2 factors need to fit a rhythm game.

The sync between the music and the chart. everything else is irrelevant at the core of the debate, as all of that is purely opinion based.
TheVileOne
Disabling hitsounds is an option that can be changed in options. You're in an outdated thread where peppy held his grounds about allowing such functionality.
NoriMori_old
Where exactly can you disable hitsounds in the options? I specifically searched the options and only found "ignore beatmap hitsounds", which as I understand it only disables custom hitsounds bundled with beatmaps. I would really like for the hitsounds to be gone. So I googled and this thread is what came up in the first page. Quite honestly I find all the blocking with regards to toggling hitsounds and backgrounds to be incredibly ridiculous.
Ayesha Altugle
Dat Bump

anyway look for use skin's sound samples and untick it

SPOILER
or set the effect volume to 0
deadbeat

vahn10 wrote:

or set the effect volume to 0
this is what he's after.
also please ask a member of the GMT, support team, or #help next time instead of bumping old completed requests :)