forum

[duplicate] Skipping breaks in songs?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Zetta
Was playing the newest Durarara opening on osu. http://osu.ppy.sh/s/15642 of course trying to get a high score and after countless retrying I began to find myself annoyed by the "recap" which was unmapped.

Is it possible to add a skip button like at the beginning of the song that gives you 1-2 seconds to hit the next circle so you don't have to deal with long unmapped dead space on every retry?
Neo Adonis
Yeah. It's boring waiting on the breaks... but can you think how much can you lose the rhythm of the song skipping a break?
:| No support.
Torran
No. Denied.
Derekku
Yeah I'm pretty sure this won't get added, but I won't deny it (yet).
Roga-don
No support. When you play, You are listening for a song, didn't you ? You don't play ONLY for scoring.
Topic Starter
Zetta

Neo Adonis wrote:

Yeah. It's boring waiting on the breaks... but can you think how much can you lose the rhythm of the song skipping a break?

:| No support.
You shouldn't lose the beat so long as you know where you are in the song.

Roganis wrote:

No support. When you play, You are listening for a song, didn't you ? You don't play ONLY for scoring.
There are songs where I play only for the score and this would help me and a lot of other people get through them quicker.

I've had songs before that start out with an easy few hit circles, go into a 10+ seconds break then go into maniac mega stream super mode.

Thank you to Derekku for not denying it straight away by the way.

The thing is this would be OPTIONAL. It wouldn't be allowed in multiplayer unless everyone skipped it, like you do at the beginning of a song and if you didn't want to skip the dead space then you could simply not press skip.

This would make a HUGE difference to me and a lot of the other score-whores. I really hope you consider it.
anonymous_old
Patience.
mm201
I disagree with this, but it's not clear cut enough to deny outright.

Breaks are part of the game, and foremost part of the music. Also they shouldn't be long enough for you to really need this anyway.
NotShinta
No support. If they're overly long and unfitting, they shouldn't be there in the first place. Also, EBA. Also, spectating.
Topic Starter
Zetta

IAmNotShinta wrote:

No support. If they're overly long and unfitting, they shouldn't be there in the first place. Also, EBA. Also, spectating.
Spectating someone who skipped a break would be the same as spectating someone who skipped the beginning of the song. The screen would load and buffer for a second then the song would start.

MetalMario201 wrote:

I disagree with this, but it's not clear cut enough to deny outright.

Breaks are part of the game, and foremost part of the music. Also they shouldn't be long enough for you to really need this anyway.
There have been some songs that have extremely long breaks and because of the breaks, whenever I fail on that certain song it makes me hesitant to play it again because I'll have to sit through that break over and over and over until I beat it.

I have a question though. What was the reason behind putting a skip button at the beginning of the song on Osu?

Was it because impatient people (Like me) requested it or because of something else? This would essentially be exactly the same thing.
Torran

Zettaslow wrote:

I have a question though. What was the reason behind putting a skip button at the beginning of the song on Osu?

Was it because impatient people (Like me) requested it or because of something else? This would essentially be exactly the same thing.
Authentic behavior.
ouranhshc
no support
mm201

soradg123 wrote:

Zettaslow wrote:

Authentic behavior.
Intros/outros are generally longer than breaks, or ur doin it wrong.
Feno_old

Zettaslow wrote:

Roganis wrote:

There are songs where I play only for the score and this would help me and a lot of other people get through them quicker.
I personally don't think "score-whoring",as you expressed it,should be encouraged.
The main purpose of playing a song should be having FUN with that song,not going "Yeah! I'm gonna get that Silver SS now and rise like 50 ranks!" Now no offence to anyone who plays for score,or plays for the silver SS,I know you can have fun doing that,however I feel it should just be a side thing,not the main focus of the game.
And,if it's a good song,then just enjoy the music during the break.
If it's a song you hate but you only play for score,then sit through the breaks and deal with it.
Dragvon
I would only support this if you could skip breaks if your retry counter is over 100~

At least that means you're trying to achieve a certain score/accuracy/something.
Sir Minelli
Breaks are there for you to rest / relocate your mouse postition etc, at a particular part of the map.

Sometimes misplaced breaks or long ones makes a player want to skip them, I totally understand you.
But as strager said: Patience.

Break system should remain the same in my opinion, skipping a break is also skipping a part of the song and it might make you lose the rythm.
qlum
Small support it would only be useful in very long breaks but only after a lot of retries. On the other hand implementing this would not be hard, the mapper must designate the shippable part this way extremely long breaks could be used more when needed. a one minute break would be less of a problem with this
mm201
Maps with 1 minute breaks shouldn't make it to ranking.
Sakura
No support, it's like this on ouendan and EBA, plus breaks are usually where story happens, and it's nice to have a little rest in between the circle hitting, specially on harder maps. Also it would end up sounding weird if you skip a break, please do remember this is a rythm game.
Zeugziumy
I think is pretty useless.. Only need Pacience..
Also, it can glitch severous on multiplayer matches
vytalibus

MetalMario201 wrote:

Maps with 1 minute breaks shouldn't make it to ranking.
I think there's a bit of a leniency when it comes to approved maps, but yeah, breaks aren't supposed to be so fukken long.

This isn't a support for the request, though. I see no reason why breaks should be skipped.
Stefan
Bumping. Won't happen since t/97230 and p/2433205/ (and even more) are denied.
TheVileOne
They weren't officially denied. peppy said he didn't see it happening. This doesn't mean he wont add it in the future.
Stefan
Well, is there anywhere the original thread to this feature? Or is that the original?
TheVileOne
p/1682578/hilit=skip I guess it has.