forum

Update guest difficulties separately from main mapper [duplicate]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +5
Topic Starter
theowest
Keeping the guest difficulty separate in a beatmap set so that the guest mapper can update whenever he wish. It'd be much easier to contribute this way.
This could also create an almost perfect list of how many difficulties you have mapped.

Any guest mapper would be able to upload his guest difficulty whenever he wants. He would have access to his difficulty. Collaborative difficulties would work differently obviously. Care to suggest how?

The mapset owner must be able to update things that are shared between the difficulties. You're just giving the guest mapper permission to upload his mapping, hitsounds, inherited timing sections and stuff. If it's something graphical or something that would change both difficulties, it would be taken upon in the beatmap thread.

Another thing this request must have is all your guest diffs listed on your profile. It should be possible if Guest difficulties starts to separate from the main mapper with this request.

These Guest difficulties should get their own rating too. Diffs differ.

Please come up with suggestions and criticism for this feature request.

I removed my rating request from this topic, I can't have two request in the same thread. I don't think many people liked it either, it didn't get any support either. That will explain the older replies in this thread.

edit: You would no longer have to write tags again.
Weez
Topic Starter
theowest

Weezy wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14238
that's not what I'm asking here.
awp
A beatmap consists of a set of difficulties. Each difficulty should contribute equally and evenly to a beatmap and have a specific place in the difficulty scale of the map. Having difficulty-specific ratings is outright admitting that this is just a collection of difficulties rather than a set.

And for the record that link does include what you're asking for.
Per difficulty per mapset. This seems to be the one most wanted if a change was to take place. :P
Topic Starter
theowest

awp wrote:

A beatmap consists of a set of difficulties. Each difficulty should contribute equally and evenly to a beatmap and have a specific place in the difficulty scale of the map. Having difficulty-specific ratings is outright admitting that this is just a collection of difficulties rather than a set.

And for the record that link does include what you're asking for.
Per difficulty per mapset. This seems to be the one most wanted if a change was to take place. :P
Yeah.

But there's a lot of guest diffs around osu.
For example. The uploader could make one terrible easy diff and because of the harder guest diff, get great rating. NOT FAIR!
or the other way around, etc. twist and turns, bubble burns.
awp
A guest difficulty should be transparent. Someone who plays a mapset without reading tags or whatever shouldn't notice a significant change in how a map plays from difficulty to difficulty
Topic Starter
theowest

awp wrote:

A guest difficulty should be transparent. Someone who plays a mapset without reading tags or whatever shouldn't notice a significant change in how a map plays from difficulty to difficulty
Yeah. They even play the easier difficulty, just to rate the diff made by the uploader of the beatmap. *cough*
Tshemmp
I totally support this. I have often made the annoying experience to play an insane guest diff which was great. So I voted with 9 or even 10. But not the mapper of this diff gets the mapper points, but the owner of the mapset! This is quite unfair imo.
Topic Starter
theowest

Tshemmp wrote:

I totally support this. I have often made the annoying experience to play an insane guest diff which was great. So I voted with 9 or even 10. But not the mapper of this diff gets the mapper points, but the owner of the mapset! This is quite unfair imo.
this
Topic Starter
theowest
bump or something.
awp

Tshemmp wrote:

But not the mapper of this diff gets the mapper points, but the owner of the mapset! This is quite unfair imo.
and thus, you have discovered the true nature of the problem
Winshley
While I would agree about having a vote rating on separate diffs, I guess there's a reason why it was called "guest difficulty beatmap" in the first place.

I would suggest on having 2 different types on ratings: Overall rating and Difficulty-specific rating. People do might wanna vote for overall rating for some reasons (e.g: highest score spread, hitsounds, storyboard and just about everything that is shared among the whole mapset), while difficulty-specific rating for another reasons (e.g: the layout of the hit objects, mode-specific beatmaps (all modes, Taiko only or CatchTheBeat only), or everything that is unique among the rest of difficulties).

If the mapset has only one difficulty beatmap, only overall rating will be available for voting instead.
Topic Starter
theowest

Winshley wrote:

While I would agree about having a vote rating on separate diffs, I guess there's a reason why it was called "guest difficulty beatmap" in the first place.

I would suggest on having 2 different types on ratings: Overall rating and Difficulty-specific rating. People do might wanna vote for overall rating for some reasons (e.g: highest score spread, hitsounds, storyboard and just about everything that is shared among the whole mapset), while difficulty-specific rating for another reasons (e.g: the layout of the hit objects, mode-specific beatmaps (all modes, Taiko only or CatchTheBeat only), or everything that is unique among the rest of difficulties).

If the mapset has only one difficulty beatmap, only overall rating will be available for voting instead.
It shouldn't be too complicated.

Rate each specific beatmap, mix em all together = get overall rating for all diffs. (the rating you see when you are going to download a beatmap)

Most users on osu! doesn't care about rating beatmap. 70% or so never rates the beatmap. If they do, they do it because they really like it or thought it really sucked. I think the osu! rating system should be more like Youtube's. Like GladiOol described.
akrolsmir
Did this end up getting implemented without us noticing?

Notice how the stars in the upper-left hand corners differ. This was taken very soon after the map got ranked, though, so I'm not sure if it is actual differing scores between diffs or just caching issues.
Topic Starter
theowest
Nope. That must be the difficulty ratings just updating all the time due to its arrival and mixed ratings.

Still no diff specific ratings for me.
Topic Starter
theowest
Changed this request into keeping difficulties separate in a beatmap set as it was my intention in the first place, so that a guest mapper can upload whenever he wants. Rating would then be separate, which was what I mentioned before.
Saten
This is great
Just 2 questions. How will this work with the already rated maps?
And will there be an average rating based on all the ratings in the mapset?
Topic Starter
theowest

Saten wrote:

This is great
Just 2 questions. How will this look with the already rated maps?
And will there be an average rating based on all the ratings in the mapset?
it will start working like I suggested when this get implemented. The current scores will stay. Gladi's request has been implemented at least on the web:

If this would be implemented, the only way to see the average rating of the mapset is to check it on the web. You'd have one difficulty selected at all times in the beatmap select anyway, where you would then see the diff-specific rating for the difficulty.
Soaprman
Except rating is completely useless because the majority of maps are all in the 8-10 range. And that's because the modding system keeps bad maps from being ranked. For ratings to be meaningful, you'd have to have ranked maps compete in the same space as finished maps that don't see any kind of modding. In other words, make the modding process optional and let users rank their own maps. I'm not sure most people would want that?

That all said, in a world where ratings meant something, I can't say I'd find this useful unless the individual ratings were by the difficulties on the beatmap listing somehow. I often download via osu!direct or directly from the listing, and when I view a beatmap page, it's usually for the description - I almost never click the individual difficulty tabs.

There is the display ingame on the song select, though. I guess I could be trained to look at that. But if I've downloaded the map already, I'd rather just play the map and form my own opinion.
Topic Starter
theowest
Good point. You convinced me. It is pretty useless. It's almost as I want the rating gone. Actually, I do want it gone. Nobody finds it informative anyway, it's all subjective.

However "Update guest difficulties separately from main mapper" still stands.
Soaprman
Sounds good to me. A bit easier than uploading your map in the thread and telling the mapper to update it.
Topic Starter
theowest

Soaprman wrote:

Sounds good to me. A bit easier than uploading your map in the thread and telling the mapper to update it.
and then he forgets to do it, ranks it and leaves with a ranked but unfinished beatmap... ;_;
Aurele
Hm, I will say no for this.
After this, we (creator of the beatmap) couldn't update the Guest Difficulty. It will be more problematic.
mancuso_JM_

Gabe wrote:

Hm, I will say no for this.
After this, we (creator of the beatmap) couldn't update the Guest Difficulty. It will be more problematic.
I'm agree with Gabe, it is better if this process continue as it is now
Soaprman
I think the intent here is actually for both the mapset owner and the guest mapper to be able to update the guest difficulty.
Topic Starter
theowest

Soaprman wrote:

I think the intent here is actually for both the mapset owner and the guest mapper to be able to update the guest difficulty.
Yes, the mapset owner must be able to update things that are shared between the difficulties. You're just giving the guest mapper permission to upload his mapping, hitsounds, inherited timing sections and stuff. If it's something graphical or something that would change both difficulties, it would be taken upon in the beatmap thread.

Another thing this request must have is all your guest diffs listed on your profile. It should be possible if Guest difficulties starts to separate from the main mapper with this request.