forum

What should I do to be able play Insanes? :'(

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TocoToucan
My problem is that I can't catch the speed of beatmap, or my movements aren't enough fast and accurate(I understand beatmap in my head, but I can't play It). What should I do to improve speed(speed of reading + speed of movements) and accuracy?
Here are some examples of my awful gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOy-ZUeF9RU (Can't catch the speed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaw8-mrM8os (Can't catch the speed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pDDFPi57OA (Can't catch the speed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPeWjh4-j2I (Can read, but can't play)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Kw_Ko_P3k (Can read, but my movements are awful)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJr2-zOomVA (It's difficult to play this beatmap)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwUMceobO3s (I can read this beatmap, but my accuracy is awful)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82aDEzYQcPs (I can read this beatmap, but It's difficult to play)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNv_yp3zrGg (I don't know what to do with this mistakes, my accuracy is bad)

If I need just "practice more", what beatmaps should I play?

My playstyle: Mouse(dpi is comfortable for me)+keyboard.
Frizz
Seeing how the cursor keeps drifting and missing the notes, I'm pretty sure you're still using 3000dpi sensitivity.
Try to go lower like around 800dpi-1800dpi. It'll be a pain at first but when you get used to it you'll get better. And also lower dpi provides better muscle memory.

For "Can't catch the speed", those maps have >200BPM so it's normal if you can't follow those maps.
G0r
The first three songs are ridiculously beyond your current skill level. You can't play those because you just haven't played the game enough to handle them. It's really no shame. You just need to work your way up.

As for the rest, I reviewed your play on those, and I get the general feeling that your skill is above your ranking. By that I mean that it appears to me that you are playing maps that are above your current skill level, and so you have some skills that are up there, but other skills that are lagging behind. I think you should keep challenging yourself, but you shouldn't repeatedly keep trying to play maps that you consistently lose badly on. It's ok to play them, don't get me wrong, but you need to hone your skills, so you need to play maps that you can reasonably FC first, and then work your way while building your accuracy and your mechanics.

I am curious, what play style do you use, and what are your settings?

Also... I hate to say it, but the screaming girl popping up on the sides and potentially giving you a heart attack while playing is probably not going to help you at all... You might want to ditch her. XD
Topic Starter
TocoToucan

Frizz925 wrote:

Seeing how the cursor keeps drifting and missing the notes, I'm pretty sure you're still using 3000dpi sensitivity.
Try to go lower like around 800dpi-1800dpi. It'll be a pain at first but when you get used to it you'll get better. And also lower dpi provides better muscle memory.
I tried 2000 DPI and I wasn't able to FC typical ranked [Normal].

G0r wrote:

I am curious, what play style do you use, and what are your settings?
I use mouse(Logitech G9x, 2400 dpi) + keyboard(c/s keys).
Settings:
Frizz

TocoToucan wrote:

Frizz925 wrote:

I tried 2000 DPI and I wasn't able to FC typical [Normal].
You just need time to get used to it, keep doing it. Either lower your sensitivity little by little like 200dpi each a certain period of time or just go straight to like 800dpi. Both ways work but then again, just need time to get used to them.
G0r

TocoToucan wrote:

I use mouse(Logitech G9x, 2400 dpi) + keyboard(c/s keys).
Settings:
I tend to think that your DPI is too high. Do what works for you, though. However, generally the lower is the better.
Sonez_old
Make use of the dim feature and max it out, it might seem trivial but I promise it helps.

Try to keep to maps that you can just barely beat, replay them until you pass them without to much effort.
XGeneral2000
I don't think you're as bad as you think you are. You can play Insanes, just not every Insane. Unlike the other difficulties, "Insane" covers an extremely wide range of actual difficulty levels. If I were to put everything on a scale of 0-10 (0 being the osu! tutorial and 10 being Freedom Dive), Easy covers 0-1, Normal coves 2-3, Hard covers 4-5, and Insane is 6-10. Those first three videos are of absolutely ridiculous maps (like 8.5-9 on that scale), and there is no way you should be able to play them. The fact that you can't read them is normal.

Maps like the ones you were "able to read" are good for pushing your upper limit of play. You should also be looking for maps you can actually FC - not just because the confidence boost is good, but because FC'ing songs is a skill in its own right, and just playing to survive won't teach you everything you need. To find Insanes you can FC, you may have to do a little more research into the songs you download. Star difficulty can be a decent rough indicator of difficulty, but it's not always accurate. I would look at the mods used in top 50 scores, and their respective accuracies. If there are several 3-mod FC's, or multiple people with Hidden + DoubleTime SS, that's a good sign that the song isn't too difficult. If there are a bunch of no-mod FC's there and #1 is Cookiezi with a 96% Hidden + HardRock, that's probably a hard song that you should pass up for now.

If you can't find Insanes you can FC, find the hardest Hards you can and try those (Star difficulty 4.5+).

For reference, ClariS - Irony [Vicho's Insane] was the first 5-star Insane I FC'ed.

PS If you are comfortable with your mouse settings, don't change them. People will give you suggestions based on their own level of comfort, but they probably won't transfer cleanly to you. If you like 2400 DPI, use 2400 DPI.
Wishy
If you're a mouse player use low DPI.

Don't try to play VERY high BPM songs, Kokou no Sousei for instance is a top tier map and it's gonna be a LONG time before you can even think of playing it correctly. Start by playing common insanes.

Plus, if your accuracy is bad, get used to it. There are two methods you can use to get good at this game:

1- Go step by step, play easy/normal diffs until you master them. Then proceed to play Hards and master them, change to Insane and do the same. On Insane, since this game difficulty rating is completely retarded, you should start by playing TV Size mapsets first since they are usually easier, meaning they are insanes most people can FC without much effort. You can also search for specific mappers you find to be good for beginners (some mappers just map nice, fun stuff that isn't too hard).

2- The best method imo but the most frustrating. Just skip steps, fuck low diffs, fuck hards they're stupid and useless (play them at most one or two days). Jump straight to insanes, get shit accuracy everywhere just try to clear the maps. This is extremely frustrating since you gonna get shit ranks/scores/accuracy for some time, but you'll eventually get better. The hardest thing in this game imo is reading the map, if you get bad accuracy at something it's pretty much because you can't read it properly (if you get bad accuracy because of streams that's another story, there you just gotta practice).

tl;dr: Use low DPI, don't try to play stupidly hard maps, go step by step or go straight to insane diffs (normal insanes, no sick shit) and play them until you do good. Ignore any kind of advice like "USE THE SETTINGS YOU FIND MORE COMFORTABLE!!!", even while it's true you can play with any random setting if you get used to, it is true that some configurations are indeed, overall, better. Using low sensitivity is helpful since you have a better control over your cursor, even if you have trouble at first, you'll get used to it and it'll be better.
lolcubes
And the most important thing, never give up. Most of the time when you improve you won't even notice it. And I suggest that you play streamy maps because streaming is generally a hard thing to do until you train your fingers.
Wishy
What lolcubes says is true, but remember one thing. You're just starting, if you play REALLY intensively now you WILL notice your progress day by day (you gonna be jumping from tier to tier quite fast, and if you save some replays every day and watch them you may notice some progress). But this will just happen during the few weeks, later it just gets really annoying that you may play for a week and you're pretty much the same player.

Go and practice streams as much as you can, but don't just focus on that since hard maps usually have both streams and jumps.

The best thing you can do is to establish objectives. Find some map you like and use it as a target, like there's some map called X you want to clear/get an A/FC on it. Play maps you think could help you to achieve your target (playing that map you wanna get good at 500 times will just make you good at THAT map, which is bad if what you want is to be good at the game) and then try reach the goal. Short-term objectives are probably the best, establishing long-term targets can be quite harder.
Kairi
What I did is to play maps in Normal or Hard difficulty and when I get a decent accuracy on it, I just add the DT mod to improve my reading and speed.
Note: This is mostly with newer released maps.
G0r
Everything above is excellent advice. Very excellent.

Except that guy who said whatever DPI you like goes...

XD I kid, of course. DPI is something you should choose by feeling, but don't think that means every DPI is optimal. There simply is an upper limit on it in terms of optimization. Where that limit is exactly is debatable.
BlazingFX
I failed the Sacrifice map just as quick as you did.

Should start with the 1:30 insanes or something
Topic Starter
TocoToucan
Do I understand correctly that I need to stop trying beatmaps like Sacrifice and try to FC maps like this with 1800-2000 DPI?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMKWCCTeIYI&hd=1
Sonez_old
Don't stop playing them completely, go back and try them every once ina while and try to get further each time.

The above map seems to be a good base level for your playability, try to find maps within that bpm range and play them. It's important to remember every mapper has their own style. Some maps just may be hard for you because of a particular map style. I typically just ditch them and find one better suited for me.
BlazingFX
Challenging difficult beatmaps is OK, but it's pointless if you fail in 5 seconds right?

That short insane was good, work up your accuracy while adapting to new dpi. And then do harder and harder maps by AR level.

By the way, what AR are you comfortable playing/able to read?
G0r
I absolutely agree with every single thing that Sonez has said in this thread.

In my opinion, 1600 is the upper limit, but if you want to try going as high as 1800, then that could work. It'd be better if you use a large resolution. It's good to experiment with DPI a bit when you're just starting to get good. That way you'll be able to feel what works best for you, and you're not so far in that it's a huge deal for you to be a little off while you adjust. I wouldn't change a lot after you settle on one, though. At a certain point it's best to get used to what you're going with.
Topic Starter
TocoToucan

BlazingFX wrote:

I don't know where to find AR info for current beatmap. I never really thought about it. =(
BlazingFX

TocoToucan wrote:

BlazingFX wrote:

I don't know where to find AR info for current beatmap. I never really thought about it. =(
Edit the current beatmap, press F4-->difficulty
Buxxy
I actually play with 2400 DPI and the only drawback I found so far is that it can be a bit of a strain on my mousehand (you really need a tight grip to get the accuracy you need).

Maybe I'll experiment with lower DPI, but so far I've been having more trouble with fast streams of 5+ notes (think cry for eternity-like hard).

Also, I think playing maps that you really hate for some (mechanic-related) reason is a useful thing. For example, I still have a very big problem with slow hit circles, always clicking them too early in reflex. ^^
Topic Starter
TocoToucan

BlazingFX wrote:

Something like this beatmap

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/28240
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxMGUqz-6zY
jesse1412
I started by trying to pass anything I thought I had no chance on. I find FC'ing maps is nowhere near as fun as passing something you find almost impossible. My play history kinda reflects this. For example after a week of trying to pass imademo[lunatic] with DT I finally managed it. The following weeks I passed it many times and it felt way easier. Probably the most obvious map I improved on was ascension to heaven. Before it was approved I found passing in itself rather challenging however now I have FCed it. Really it all just takes time and determination. After passing a map with certain confusing patterns other maps with the same patterns will become easier.

Pros: Maps I couldn't pass were generally very streamy and as such my streaming ability is above average. Also because the maps which I couldn't pass were quite commonly DT maps I was able to adjust to AR10 without too many problems and to a degree AR11 (not perfect but ALOT better than I used to be).
Cons: jumps and accuracy have only just started to catch up to my stream level. Some maps which I tried are almost impossible now because I'm so used to moving the cursor wrong I constantly do it despite the fact that the map should feel rather easy (screw you homework crisis)

Oh one more thing: try to look at the notes you are moving to. This seems to help with jumps.
Aqo
Toco,

this is super important
this is the most important thing you're going to hear
people already told you this but I'll say this again

LOWER YOUR DPI

When I started osu I played mouse with high dpi and I wasn't able to go past hards,
then started tablet and suddenly everything easy
then tried out mouse with 800dpi and suddenly I'm better with mouse than tablet (wtf)
still can't beat my best score on the big black that I got with mouse when I play with tablet, ugh

LOWER YOUR DPI

It helps so much like you can't even imagine. and YES IT IS HARD AT FIRST.
The best way to get used to it quickly, is, after you set it to 800 dpi,
set your osu mouse speed modifier to 0.5x. This means you will have 400dpi
Enable the NoFail mod and play the hardest maps that you can read (I think you can handle AR9 judging from your vids so pretty much anything goes)

After you played the hardest stuff you have with 400dpi and nofail for 1 hour, set the osu modifier to 1.0x
At this point 800dpi will feel super fast I promise, and you can just keep playing with it normally
and suddenly you'll be very accurate on jumps and they will all be very easy

that is all

LOWER YOUR DPI. It's mandatory for mouse. It's soooo much easier with lower DPI. Every single mouse player will tell you this simply because it's true. Do it.
show more