forum

Rhythm video games

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LimeGreenTeknii
Remember when I talked about Mario Party? If you do, great! If you don't, it's right here ---> viewtopic.php?f=52&t=14325 . But today I'm going to talk about a whole genre of games: rhythm games.

When I was 7 and had my first PS2, I used to play DDR all the time. It's probably the only game from the PS2 that has made the biggest impression on me. Even my sister, who doesn't play too many video games, used to play it as much as me. We got really good at the game.

But my sister really wanted a Gamecube instead because you could play GBA games on it. Once DDR: Mario Mix came out, I was willing to give up my PS2 for a Gamecube. Once I got DDR: Mario Mix, I was disappointed because it wasn't fun as the other DDRs.

Also, Guitar Hero was a big game back then too. The only time I got to play it was at my friend's house. I really wanted to play Guitar Hero. I was literally crying because I missed DDR and wanted Guitar Hero. Come on, you can't blame me, I was 8.

Well, when I was 9, a game called "Karaoke Revolution: Party" came out on the Gamecube and my sister wanted to play it so I got it. I was really surprised how awesome this game was. We played that game almost as much as DDR! We nearly even beat the entire game! This game was just awesome.

As time passed the Nintendo Wii came out and I got the last one the day it came out! Once Christmas came around, Guitar Hero came out on the Wii! It was just as awesome as I remembered playing it at my friend's house!

Meanwhile, on the Nintendo DS, I heard about a game called "Elite Beat Agents". The idea for that game sounded stupid. There was no possible way I would EVER get that game. Then I played a demo of that game and it was really fun. It completely changed my mind about that game, so I put it on the top of my Christmas list!

After a while I got really bored with my Nintendo Wii, so I started to save up for a PS3. I was just $50 away, so I sold Guitar Hero to my friend so I could get the 50 bucks I needed.

After paying a whole truckload for a PS3, I didn't really feel like paying for anything else that costed over $100, so I decided to skip out on Rock Band. But then I played it at another friend's house. I was surprised to see how the vocals were exactly like Karaoke Revolution and the Guitar was exactly like Guitar Hero. The drums were even more fun than those two! I HAD to get this game. I begged my parents over and over until I finally got it! I played this game more than DDR and Karaoke Revolution combined!

After playing as a drummer in Rock Band long enough, I decided to play the real drums! If it weren't for Rock Band, I wouldn't have ever known that playing the real drums would be this fun!

While this was going on, I had heard of a game on the computer called "Stepmania". It was exactly like DDR, and the best part: it was free! My only complaint: I could never really find a USB dancemat so I had to play this game with a keyboard.

I was also looking for another computer clone of Elite Beat Agents. I searched on the web forever, but eventually I found a game called "Osu!". It was great! I just loved how I could make my own beatmaps!

Lastly, to wrap things up, on the Nintendo Wii a game called, "Wii music" came out. I see you hardcore gamers laughing! Stop it! Anyway, I actually liked this game. Seriously, stop laughing! It was kind of like playing mini versions of real instruments. I also just loved the idea of how you could record one instrument and the play another one on top of that. It was really cool.

From age 7 to 13, I've played a lot of music games. It was a big part of my video gaming life, even bigger than Mario Party! Music video games were so influential that it even made me actually play a real life instrument. To this very day I still play all of the games listed here. If could start over and erase all the time I put into these games, I wouldn't. Those video games were...just that awesome. THE END

DANG IT! I forgot to mention Singstar. But in my opinion, it was just like Karaoke Revolution.

Also, there was a game called American Idol for the PS2. I actually kind of liked it. But if this game came out today, I probably wouldn't have played it because it looked really stupid.
adam2046
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Mashley
Wii Music is really fun anyone who makes fun of it is a fag.
Topic Starter
LimeGreenTeknii

Agent Spin Here wrote:

Wii Music is really fun anyone who makes fun of it is stupid.
I don't think that people hate the game itself, they just hate how Nintendo has gone casual.
awp
Wii Music isn't a game, it's a tool. It's something that should be on wii ware for 10 bucks as oppose to in a store for 50.
Topic Starter
LimeGreenTeknii

awp wrote:

Wii Music isn't a game, it's a tool. It's something that should be on wii ware for 10 bucks as oppose to in a store for 50.
True, I admit that. But:
1. The price will go down.
2. Let's not start a fight.
Mogsy
Real men play import rhythm games like Pop'n Music.

I'm only saying this because I'm really fucking good at it.
Topic Starter
LimeGreenTeknii

Mogsworth wrote:

Real men play import rhythm games like Pop'n Music.

I'm only saying this because I'm really fucking good at it.
I would, but my mom won't let me :(
Topic Starter
LimeGreenTeknii
Read the next one here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14685
GladiOol
Best rhytm game is that new one from Disney with Hannah Montana.
http://tv.disney.go.com/disneychannel/h ... index.html
I'm thinking of quiting osu! to become the #1 Hannah Montana Rhytm game evaah!
(Since I'm probably the only one playing it :()
Detective Tuesday
I played DDR until I discovered In The Groove. Now it's impossible for me to go back. Despite once being a fan of the series, I now view DDR as absolute trash next to ITG. Nothing Konami has been putting out recently is swaying my opinion. I'll agree that the difficulty of DDR is improving ever-so-slightly, but the difficulty isn't consistent at all. I've given up on it.

Go find an In The Groove 2 machine. Nothing I can say would be better than you playing it for yourself. You could also pick up the PS2 or PC version of In The Groove, though I should warn y'all that the PS2 version will begin fucking up if you aren't careful about keeping it scratch-free.

I play rhythm games because I'm a musician and a gamer. Rhythm games really hit my interests. The problem is, they all tend to be too easy.
MegaManEXE
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Detective Tuesday
That was my biggest disappointment about SuperNOVA: Both FaXX and Eternal Love Remix (or whatever it was called) had most of their difficulty derived from overwhelming speed-ups and stops, whereas some of the older 10 charts like Maxx Unlimited didn't have to bullshit to be challenging. I have absolutely no clue about the newest additions to the series, however.
31Gabe
After I give up Osu!, I still have good rhythm games I still play:
Dance Dance Revolution series (especially the 1999-2001 imported versions)
Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii (Ouendan 2)
Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo DS sequel to the GBA Rhythm Tengoku; known as Rhythm Paradise in Europe)
Princess Debut (like the Ouendan series, but more adventurous)
Guitar Hero series (not a good scoring system, but with wacky Tension gauge and Overdrive functions!)
MegaManEXE

Detective Tuesday wrote:

That was my biggest disappointment about SuperNOVA: Both FaXX and Eternal Love Remix (or whatever it was called) had most of their difficulty derived from overwhelming speed-ups and stops, whereas some of the older 10 charts like Maxx Unlimited didn't have to bullshit to be challenging. I have absolutely no clue about the newest additions to the series, however.
To this day I still haven't AA'd Maxx Unlimited x_x

Yet I can (or used to be able to, at my peak at least) AA PSMO regularly, lolwut

I stopped caring/paying attention to new DDR releases after I saw the charts in Supernova for Chaos/Faxx/FELM/HDV

From what I've heard there's even stupider shit out now though in the recent games
Pokebis
Choas is lol.
Otium_old
Detective Tuesday

MegaManEXE wrote:

I stopped caring/paying attention to new DDR releases after I saw the charts in Supernova for Chaos/Faxx/FELM/HDV
Same.

Pokebis wrote:

Choas is lol.
This.

MegaManEXE wrote:

From what I've heard there's even stupider shit out now though in the recent games
Can it be?

Otium wrote:

Rythm Paradise/Heaven anyone~?
The GBA version is amazingly fun, though I haven't played it in a while. I only played the DS version once, but I'll probably get at that eventually.
MegaManEXE

Detective Tuesday wrote:

MegaManEXE wrote:

Can it be?
Pluto Relinquish Oni/Dead End Oni/Paranoia Hades Oni come to mind

I forget what the charts are like since I've been out of the loop for a while but if memory serves they were pretty fucking terrible