forum

My Computer automatically shuts down while playing osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
aquajet16
I don't know if this is happening to anyone but when I play osu my computer automatically shuts down for no reason. I thought the installer was corrupt so I downloaded a new one but the new seems to be facing the same problems. So is this with osu or just with my system?
awp
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy
Probably overheating. Try turning on the framerate limiter.
anonymous_old

peppy wrote:

Probably overheating. Try turning on the framerate limiter.
This is likely.

If you're overclocking your hardware, lower the overclock or go back to stock. Try increasing the speed of your fans to push more air through. Keep your vents clear of obstructions and keep the computer in a cool area.
Derekku
If you're using a laptop instead of a PC, and overheating IS the problem, you should probably buy a cooling pad. It's an object that goes under your laptop (usually with fans in it) to help keep your laptop cool. You can probably get a decent one online for $20-$30.

EDIT: Actually, after browsing through amazon.com for one of those (I need one myself), most look cheaply made. :?

Plan B: Have a fan blow cool air towards your laptop. That's what I've been having to do and it works :o

(If you ARE using a laptop, that is)
mm201
Could also be the fault of a faulty stick of RAM or even a buggy device driver.

After your machine restarts, check the Event Log to see if any STOP errors were reported.
anonymous_old

Derekku Chan wrote:

If you're using a laptop instead of a PC, and overheating IS the problem, you should probably buy a cooling pad. It's an object that goes under your laptop (usually with fans in it) to help keep your laptop cool. You can probably get a decent one online for $20-$30.

EDIT: Actually, after browsing through amazon.com for one of those (I need one myself), most look cheaply made. :?

Plan B: Have a fan blow cool air towards your laptop. That's what I've been having to do and it works :o

(If you ARE using a laptop, that is)
I would suggest this:

Don't block your air vents on your laptop. It's easy to block it by using a cushioned surface. Hard, flat surfaces are best for laptops. Normally you won't need any extra cooling on your laptop unless you're overclocking, leave it on for a long time (10+ hours) at full usage, or have a bad battery or fan, or even if your computer's filled with dust (cleaning dust is good!).

@MetalMario201, I doubt it's faulty RAM, as shutdowns are an uncommon symptom of faulty RAM. Still, not a bad idea to run a memory test.

Buggy drivers usually mean BSOD's, not shutdowns, but it's still possible.
Derekku

strager wrote:

I would suggest this:

Don't block your air vents on your laptop. It's easy to block it by using a cushioned surface. Hard, flat surfaces are best for laptops. Normally you won't need any extra cooling on your laptop unless you're overclocking, leave it on for a long time (10+ hours) at full usage, or have a bad battery or fan, or even if your computer's filled with dust (cleaning dust is good!).
They're not blocked. :o Plus I have a 12 cell battery which raises the laptop up and helps the fan. From what I've read online, my laptop has some part defects which are screwing things up. I plan on contacting HP tonight to see about getting it fixed. (Hard disc is failing, CD drive won't work, overheating, etc.)

I just want to play osu with no problems ;_;
peppy
just turn on the goddamn frame limiter...