forum

[resolved] Input lag on Windows 10 windowed.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Haganenno
Problem Details: Input lag on windowed, screen tearing on fullscreen. Impossible to play on windowed, jumping and spinners tear the screen. How to disable the forced V-Sync that Windows 10 forces up? I tried using NVIDIA control panel to no success.

Video or screenshot showing the problem: None needed, none taken.

osu! version: Happens on all versions
Trosk-
As far as I know, it's not possible. If you want to avoid input lag, play on Fullscreen mode. You could also try the Letterboxing option on Cutting Edge and Beta release streams, that allows you to play on a lower resolution (like windowed) while using Fullscreen mode.
VeilStar
You'll have to make a trade-off between input lag and screen tearing.
peppy
That said, nothing should have changed from previous OS versions. You may want to play with your graphics driver settings to see if you can reduce tearing.
Topic Starter
Haganenno

peppy wrote:

That said, nothing should have changed from previous OS versions. You may want to play with your graphics driver settings to see if you can reduce tearing.
Thank you for your reply. That said, recently I started getting huge fps drops on Osu! OpenGL, DirectX, both gets huge fps drops to 150 or something. And of course you know what happens when FPS drops below 400 in Osu? That's right, more input lag. What to do to avoid these random drops?
Trosk-

Haganenno wrote:

Thank you for your reply. That said, recently I started getting huge fps drops on Osu! OpenGL, DirectX, both gets huge fps drops to 150 or something. And of course you know what happens when FPS drops below 400 in Osu? That's right, more input lag. What to do to avoid these random drops?
Did you actually give a try to Cutting Edge or Beta release streams?
Topic Starter
Haganenno

Trosk- wrote:

Haganenno wrote:

Did you actually give a try to Cutting Edge or Beta release streams?
Yes.
Trosk-
Do you know if this is happening on tother games? Also, just in case and as a reminder, did you install your GPU drivers from Windows 10? Or you still have the ones from your last OS? Because if you made an upgrade instead of a clean installation this could be possible.
Topic Starter
Haganenno

Trosk- wrote:

Do you know if this is happening on tother games? Also, just in case and as a reminder, did you install your GPU drivers from Windows 10? Or you still have the ones from your last OS? Because if you made an upgrade instead of a clean installation this could be possible.

* I chose clean installation
* I installed W10 drivers
* Not exactly sure, but Guild Wars 2 performance seems rather off. Thing is, I play games like Hearthstone so performance isn't really a problem to me, I can't check.
Trosk-
Then I don't know, I think that you will need to live with the screen tearing if you don't want to have input lag (I play having screen tearing). That is something what we can't do anything about to help you, the only way to not have tearing while using Fullscreen mode is to have a monitor with G-Sync, Free-Sync, bla bla bla.

By the way, personally, I have less screen tearing on Cutting Edge and Beta than on Stable, so, try to play Fullscreen on one of those release streams if you didn't do it earlier.
Topic Starter
Haganenno

Trosk- wrote:

Then I don't know, I think that you will need to live with the screen tearing if you don't want to have input lag (I play having screen tearing). That is something what we can't do anything about to help you, the only way to not have tearing while using Fullscreen mode is to have a monitor with G-Sync, Free-Sync, bla bla bla.

By the way, personally, I have less screen tearing on Cutting Edge and Beta than on Stable, so, try to play Fullscreen on one of those release streams if you didn't do it earlier.
To be honest, I would be totally fine with screen tearing, it's that it sometimes delays the appearance of some hitcircles. Like sometimes it tears and laggs out and hitcircle appears like 0.5 second later and by that time, I was supposed to have already clicked the circle. It's a hassle and a half.

Also, my friend is saying that he doesn't have screen tearing on full screen. How come?

Edit: I've actually found a way to avoid most FPS drops and got way less screen tearing this way: Use compatibility mode to Windows 7 on Stable.
Trosk-

Haganenno wrote:

Also, my friend is saying that he doesn't have screen tearing on full screen. How come?

Edit: I've actually found a way to avoid most FPS drops and got way less screen tearing this way: Use compatibility mode to Windows 7 on Stable.
Your friend most likely have another GPU with another GPU configuration, and it's getting less screen tearing with it. And probably your friend is using Beta or Cutting Edge. Like I said earlier, you will most likely have less screen tearing on those release streams.

And well, it's nice to hear that you have managed to get less screen tearing using Win7 compatibility mode :P
Phyrearms
Windows 10 does cause additional input lag over Windows 7 when windowed. In Windows 7, one could disable Aero and eliminate OS input lag completely.

There is no Aero in Win 10 though and no obvious alternative way to fix the added input lag that I've found so far.

Edit: lag is caused by dwm.exe (desktop window manager). It could be disabled in Windows 7 by disabling aero, or in Windows 8 by using Process Explorer and suspending winlogon then killing dwm.exe. Windows 10 crashes completely if you try and disable dwm.

30 minutes of Windows 10 and I'm already back to 7. Maybe I'll try again in a few months. :o
peppy
Use. Full. Screen.
Phyrearms
Fullscreen doesn't fix it and it also causes constant noticeable tearing, especially bad at the song reel. I'm not going to deal with that.

This has been discussed already in this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/osucommunity/comments/32bt0j/how_to_get_rid_of_input_delay_on_windows_88110/cqaq7qc

Edit: I'm not saying this is an osu! problem, but for the best experience I'm sticking on Windows 7 (and so should you -- yes, YOU!)
Oshira
hi
Lacrimosa

-Oshira- wrote:

hi
Can you not do that, please?

osu! rules wrote:

Bumping threads without content in the bump post is forbidden. Such foul necromantic acts may come with harsh punishment if done repeatedly.