forum

[Rule Change?] Do not alter the song's title.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DakeDekaane
This topic has been one of the most troublesome lately, leading to countless inconsistencies across maps for the same song and not so needed unqualifyings.

How to avoid this?
Do not alter the song's title. This includes adding any marker to describe the cut of the song such as "Short Ver.", "TV Size" and so forth.
A simple removal of some words which will make stuff simpler, cleaner, and less prone to mistakes.

This way we won't have any inconsistencies in the future and we won't be altering metadata, as it'll be the same song.

I'm a bit bad wording so if you have doubts about it or suggestions, feel free to post them, as well as opinions, counterarguments, etc.
Lanturn
Agreed. Markers/labels (describing cuts) should honestly be used in tags. If people want a TV Size version they can just type SongName TV Size and get the results they want. As this may seem inconvenient to players who just simply want to know how long a song name is by a glance, they can simply just adjust to looking at the track time in the top left. It isn't that big of a deal if anyone brings this up.

The title used (for cuts) should be the official base track of the song (Full length version). If a song is officially called IGNITE (TV size) and you use that exact track. It will now use the parent track as the title. Quite simply "IGNITE" and TV Size will go into the tags.

Let's get this done so we can just simply have the title without the random TV Size/Short Ver names.

At first I thought this meant all markers like remix ones, but the rule does state "This includes adding any marker to describe the cut of the song" so it only limits marker removal to length adjustments of a song, not remixes.
Zare
removing the "TV Size" from an official title would be an alteration tho, and thus conflict with the rule itself.
I don't see a reason for this, just use whatever the artist called their song or song version.
xxdeathx
I got quite used to seeing TV size or short ver in titles for most beatmaps of such songs. It's quite convenient because https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist doesn't show the song length when you hover over it.

They've always served as visual confirmation (while looking through the website's beatmap listing https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist ) that the map is of a 1:30 song and you may want to download it and play it for pp (or just for fun, since long maps can get tiring). It's like when I do a beatmap search, my eyes look for every instance of "TV size" because those are the ones I'm interested in.

As such, I really like having TV size in titles because of how they distinguish a group of shorter, playable maps.
Flower
One of the problem is when a mapper maps a TV size song, the official soundtrack is not yet released, and they don't have any idea. Should they still use unlabeled name? As this may be an alternation.
Topic Starter
DakeDekaane
Basically that's why I'm proposing this change, so we avoid inconsistency in future Ranked beatmaps for people not waiting for the OST/Single, and unneeded unqualifyings for minor changes in the label, which imo it is not part of the song title, it's just there to especify the length and nothing else.

Strictly, this is an alteration indeed, but it's not different from cutting the song, so this may be used as a justification.
Also take in mind anime/VN OP/ED videos don't say (TV Size), (Short Ver.), etc., so yeah.
Sure
This kind of argument has been denied many time, and my post was.
I'm still thinking the rule will never free from title error unless remove a marker from definition of the song's title.
Lust
Discussions have seemingly come to a close. If you wish to continue this, please give me a poke and I'll move it back.

Flaming.