forum

Analysis

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
johnmedina999
"An Iron Curtain has descended across [OT]."

I believe it is time to address the stickied post in the room, the post we have all read but are too scared to comment on (or maybe it's just because it's locked). It's time to break this post into little, itty-bitty bite-sized pieces so everyone can understand what is expected of us as OT denziens.

Stefan wrote:

Off-Topic was for once a peaceful place where everyone could live together and the content being valuable. The big names of the past are responsible that Off-Topic was a place you could hide from the serious conversations and questions what sort of tablet is the best one to purchase.
I have done some research and many of OT's "big names of the past" are responsible for some of the best threads in OT history; Wojjan is the first name to come up, as his thread is still very much alive and active today. However, we see Stefan is not pleased with "the serious conversations and questions what sort of tablet is the best one to purchase", and because this thread is often subject to serious conversations, I predict somewhere in the future Stefan will get tired of the thread and will graveyard it. If I'm getting this correct, ITT 1 was closed, and there is noting stopping Stefan from closing this one as well.

Stefan wrote:

But everything has changed when it has been decided that the osu!staff take care for Off-Topic and this change was groundshaking for the whole subforum.

There was one man, dedicated to look for this forum and to regulate the quality and content of the posts and thread being created there.
I suppose when Stefan refers to this "one man" he is referring to himself. I don't know how long he has been in service as an OT moderator, but the way he worded his first sentence makes me feel as if OT was comparable to the Americas before they were colonized. Going with this analogy, Stefan is the colonizer and his arrival is the "groundshaking" change. I feel as if many people did not like him at first for locking threads and cleaning this forum up, but it's quite obvious that this view has changed.

I'm new to these parts, so if anyone has more information on this please let me know for I am curious.

Stefan wrote:

He had to fight against the criticism of many rebels - who was fighting for their rights, and their posts and threads. He understood their feelings, yet he knew it will be the best for the majority. But there was also the side that supported this man's actions, and cheer up this man for being the "Savior of OT".
When I first read this, I immediately thought of B1rd. I know B1rd isn't on the best terms with mods, and he believes some mods abuse their powers and have no morals. Again, I wasn't around for this, but I feel B1rd is the person Stefan is referring to here; he would be one to fight for his rights.
Sorry for calling you out, bud.

Also, the second sentence is referring to memeing Stefan and naming him "Lord Lockthreads", which has stuck on to today. This section is pretty self-explanatory, not much to say here.

Stefan wrote:

Off-Topic got hit hard by many epidemics, such as the Fanclub epidemic but it stood strong to pass all difficulties and to work on a future of wonderful posting, to have fun and a nice laugh, and to come back to the roots: to be a community. But the dark side of the man grew stronger by the amount of shitposts being done in a short time period, and so he became insane.
Stefan starts getting a bit more serious in this paragraph. I recall the "Fanclub epidemic" a while ago (unless he refers to an earlier one), and do admit that it was cancerous in nature. Stefan even got his own that surpassed 30 pages, and abraker has two. Evidently he did not like the joking around going on and locked his fanclub thread. Also, lately, the Stefan fanfic epidemic has probably gotten on his nerves too much. It is clear that Stefan does not like being honored or glorified, so I suggest to avoid a situation like this and to avoid making Stefan "insane", we should stop the Stefan shitposts.

Stefan wrote:
"Overreacted silences over hours and hours, removal of threads and the big number of locks made Off-Topic to a bleak place where shitposting wasn't present anymore but shittalking was a thing. People have been obliterated from the universe of osu!, others left Off-Topic and emigrate to a new place - a cold place. And today, this man decided to be submissive to the dark side."

(For some reason, it doesn't let me quote Stefan anymore.) Stefan is expressing his anger towards the OT community in this quote. He is explaining how shitposting evolved into "shittalking", which I interpret as low-quality Blitzfrog-tier shitposts that are not funny and only serve to bog the server down storing the useless thread until the end of time. I also agree that this has been getting out of hand as of late, but disagree with Stefan's view of grouping the Stefan fanfics in with these. These make people laugh and usually take more than 5 minutes to execute properly. How come you have to impose an ambiguous threat, stickie it, and lock it just because you are triggered?

And this ambiguous threat brings me to my last point:

Stefan wrote:

I'd like to make this section an open question to Stefan himself:

What do you mean by "Purge all shitposters"? How do you define "Shitposter"? Is it anyone who even mentions your name in a thread? Are you going to prove B1rd right by abusing your mod powers and silencing anyone/deleting anything you don't like? What can we do to avoid being "purged"?

Thank you for reading all the way until the end.

tl;dr: read the whole thing, you lazy bum
Meah
I'm a lazy bum
Zekks
I'm pretty sure this is very interesting, but I'm lazy and don't wanna read it right now, maybe later
Blitzfrog
Hey! My threads take more than 5 minutes to make!

#BlitzfrogismakingOTgreatagain
Razzy

Blitzfrog wrote:

Hey! My posts take more than 5 minutes to make!

so it takes you a whole 5 minutes to type out "Deez nuts on your chin"

somehow, that doesn't surprise me
Blitzfrog

Raspberriel wrote:

Blitzfrog wrote:

Hey! My posts take more than 5 minutes to make!

so it takes you a whole 5 minutes to type out "Deez nuts on your chin"

somehow, that doesn't surprise me
You got my nuts on my chin
Topic Starter
johnmedina999

Meah wrote:

I'm a lazy bum

[ - Zekks - ] wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is very interesting, but I'm lazy and don't wanna read it right now, maybe later
abraker
I've been outdone. We have a hero! Welcome to my honorary members club, johnmedina999!

Also a reminder that this thread exists.
Dawns
I still think purge is too strong a word, something like "Detain all shitposters" would be far better
Foxtrot
Man you better invest your time in something better than this because this analysis was actually really interesting to read

As someone who has been with OT for many years, even back then the old users would complain about the newfags. This forum always had its pledges and hazings. A lot of the mods who didn't spend their time on OT felt very uncomfortable at the way things were run, because OT was already recognized as a problem that shouldn't be fixed. The average user doesn't go to OT. I guess that's why it's kind of special, despite all of the "shit". Anyhow, I believe Stefan is one of those newer mods from the way he behaves around "unapproved" shitposting.

If you do further research, you can find this infamous quote: "OT may be a garbage can, but I'd still be pissed off if someone took a shit in it." -- awp

I know I didn't answer every point brought up in the analysis but I'm on the phone right now :o
Blitzfrog
Alright guys, it's Blitzfrog bringing you to English 101.
Today we're studying oxymoron:

Foxtrot wrote:

Man you better invest your time in something better than this because this analysis was actually really interesting to read
Foxtrot
You don't get a cookie for getting the compliment pal
Rwyta
Yet im still waiting for my fanfics to get sticked.