forum

How do you use your pen, tablet players?

posted
Total Posts

How do you hold your Pen with your Tablet?

I keep it pressed to the tablet
56.25%
I hold it in the air, above the tablet
43.75%
Total votes: 64
Topic Starter
Ribba1998
I got a tablet a few months ago, and I feel like I'm definitely getting better, faster than I was when I used mouse. However, please don't cringe, I hold my pen down to the tablet as I move (mouse-clicking disabled), since holding it up in the air just feels so weird to me when playing Osu (fine when drawing though).

How does everyone else hold their pen? Is it bad for me to be dragging it along the tablet's surface? Does everyone else hold their pen above the tablet while playing?

While there are some slight marks in the tablet's surface, there is no damage to my tablet yet, it's still as smooth on the surface as the day I bought it. I just want to make sure I'm not developing a bad habit as I work my way up the ranks, so I thought I'd ask.
Wishes
Dragging style is quite a valid playstyle used by a lot of players so it's not considered bad. And it really can't physically damage your tablet unless you drill a hole into it with superhuman strength (lol). The surface material is not necessary for the tablet to function so it doesn't matter if it is worn out a bit.

As for me when I first started playing with tablet I was pure drag player (with a tiny active area), then later on I increased the area significantly and hovered. Even later on (including now), I play with a mixed style. For jumps I like to lift the pen slightly and tap on each note as if I was clicking it with tablet (although the mouse-buttons are disabled and I use keyboard). For sliders, streams, spinners I mostly drag. For really fast back and forth movement I sometimes hover.

Hovering is faster to move but less precise. Dragging is the opposite. You should just find a style that works for you. Neither is "wrong" or "bad" necessarily.
Topic Starter
Ribba1998
Cool, this was very helpful so I appreciate your input. Yeah, I figured it wouldn't necessarily be bad for the tablet since it appears to use some kind of magnets or something, but I just wanted to be sure before I broke it lol. Interesting you use a mix, I guess it all just comes down to personal preference then.