forum

osu! 2012 T-shirt Design Contest

posted
Total Posts
show more
JonnyThatJonny
There goes my effort

Osu, the game which you control an octopus and catch round things and the year is 2012.

Tried sticking with 4 or 5 colors at max, original file is 350dpi and 3000x3250px
YodaSnipe
Yukikaze Panettone still best design.
Urukins
If I were the one who would be spending money on t.shirts I still wouldn't be satisfied with any of the designs

Yukikaze Panettone's seems more suitable for a loading screen than a t-shirt to be honest
and I think jonnythatjonny's design has a way too heavy feel to it

other than these two no other seems nearly ok to be put on a shirt.

Eitherway the prizes don't seem worth competing for.
awp

JonnyThatJonny wrote:

There goes my effort

Osu, the game which you control an octopus and catch round things and the year is 2012.

Tried sticking with 4 or 5 colors at max, original file is 350dpi and 3000x3250px
I don't get the whole octopus motif (other than the insinuation of tentacle-rape as the majority of osu!'s music and influence is in Japanese culture/media) and why is it grabbing a 6 what happened to 2 through 5

other than that I like it lol
Urukins

awp wrote:

JonnyThatJonny wrote:

There goes my effort

I don't get the whole octopus motif (other than the insinuation of tentacle-rape as the majority of osu!'s music and influence is in Japanese culture/media) and why is it grabbing a 6 what happened to 2 through 5

other than that I like it lol

my guess it's that it is grabbing the hits, when you play if you miss the hits you lose , or soemthing like that
JonnyThatJonny
That's because I would need goddamn tentacles to play like a pro. I thought about making the tentacles hold wacom bamboo pens but it would get even more random.
iMuffin

Nekoroll wrote:

All images are 33% downsized @ 300dpi unless otherwise noted

Idea 1: simplistic with 2 colors; halftone for easy screenprinting process

-Image-
my favorite one so far
Nekoroll

Lesjuh wrote:

Nekoroll wrote:

Idea 2: simplistic with more colors
I actually really like this one. I'd wear this if the osu! logo were a 9 lol
I could change it to a 9 if more people felt the same. I thought putting the osu! logo would make it more representative of the game and not look like just a bunch of numbers on circles. XD

I'm glad you and many others like my designs. I'd love more constructive criticism as well. Helps me tailor my designs to the community's wishes. :) <3
Yukki

YodaSnipe wrote:

Yukikaze Panettone still best design.
kyaaaaaaaaaa...... >m<
feels like i want to kiss you right now lol

if you wonder where's cookiezi, actually i put that name too (include WhiteWolf, and so on) but of course those name did not fit in size.
sorry xD xD xD

Urukins wrote:

If I were the one who would be spending money on t.shirts I still wouldn't be satisfied with any of the designs

Yukikaze Panettone's seems more suitable for a loading screen than a t-shirt to be honest
and I think jonnythatjonny's design has a way too heavy feel to it

other than these two no other seems nearly ok to be put on a shirt.

Eitherway the prizes don't seem worth competing for.
i think you could be true,
because i usually make something like Walpp, Loading Screen (for online game), etc. so when i tried to make it i dont have any idea what would look good on T-shirt.
anyway thx for your criticism xD xD xD xD
Minty Gum

Nekoroll wrote:

Edit: 6/14/2012
Idea 2: simplistic with more colors
It actually looks cute, simplistic, and stylish as a t-shirt could get... would wear :D
YodaSnipe

Yukikaze Panettone wrote:

kyaaaaaaaaaa...... >m<
feels like i want to kiss you right now lol
I get that a lot.
blazen_old
Get rid of everything in the store currently and fill it up with the submissions in this thread. I'm serious there are so many cool designs, some that I thought were cool were Mirry, ManuXP, Lolicon Flandre, Endless957,Yukikaze Panettone, and JonnyThatJonny. I would buy any of those shirts!
wolfn

Nekoroll wrote:

Edited my designs post on page 6 with a third design featuring Pippi. :D

I finally made use of my unfinished art that I previously posted in the fan art thread and redrew it so that it would be a more fitting style for a t-shirt.
This one! This one!
awp

Nekoroll wrote:

Lesjuh wrote:

I could change it to a 9 if more people felt the same.
I like the osu! logo being there instead of the 9. Mixes up the pattern/expectation a bit and drives curiosity. The design might work better if you add another row, counting up to 12 hitcircles (keeping the osu! overtop the 9) even though a 12-hit combo is dodgy in-game, as shirts have a larger y-dimension than x-dimension

blazen wrote:

Get rid of everything in the store currently and fill it up with the submissions in this thread.
Yes! That will make my Chibi Pippi coffee mug even rarer and more special
Nekoroll

awp wrote:

Lesjuh wrote:

I like the osu! logo being there instead of the 9. Mixes up the pattern/expectation a bit and drives curiosity. The design might work better if you add another row, counting up to 12 hitcircles (keeping the osu! overtop the 9) even though a 12-hit combo is dodgy in-game, as shirts have a larger y-dimension than x-dimension
Your point about the y and x-dimensions is true, especially about those kinds of shirt designs. I'd like to consider my designs a sort of rough draft. I don't know who the main decision-maker is for the contest but I'm fairly flexible about my submissions. If something needs to be changed around, I can do it. :) I figured 1-12 might be a little too long of a count though and having the osu! on the 9 would make the following 10-12 a little lengthy but I can do it anyway. Haha.
akrolsmir
Still needs tweaking (alignments were mostly eyeballed), but:
http://puu.sh/CHx3

Current versions:

(thanks for the feedback thus far!)

Also, inverted versions for use on darker shirts:
http://puu.sh/DJFr
^"click" won't look quite so mangled if people actually like this version.
http://puu.sh/DK1z

Less contrast:

And softer, more pastel-y colors:
theowest
It's one sentence, so I think that J should be in lowercase.

Here's what I think you should do
lowercase everything, place the words like so and use the colour grey for all words but "click".
awp
just out of curiosity does it really make sense to say "just a click away" on a non-digital format, ie a shirt

like, click what I don't get it
Azure_Kite

akrolsmir wrote:

Still needs tweaking (alignments were mostly eyeballed), but:

I'd totally get that on a shirt without the Rhythm is just a click away text.
peppy

JonnyThatJonny wrote:

There goes my effort
I kinda wish this didn't have the 2012 on it, since that will go out of date. Very nice design otherwise.
Ballance

how about this one :)

YodaSnipe
I may be colour blind but... MOAR PINK!
JonnyThatJonny

peppy wrote:

JonnyThatJonny wrote:

There goes my effort
I kinda wish this didn't have the 2012 on it, since that will go out of date. Very nice design otherwise.
Oops. Unless I would just make the same model with 2013 in it for future reasons (in the remote case of being one of the winners) I'm not sure how to replace it. I'll think about it and try to come up with something until the deadline.
Minty Gum

Ballance wrote:

That... that is beautiful. Not exactly my taste in t-shirts, but still a really lovely design. So detailed.
OzzyOzrock

rickyboi wrote:

I'd buy a "Big Big Yeah" shirt if anyone actually made it.
We're doing this next.
awp

JonnyThatJonny wrote:

Oops. Unless I would just make the same model with 2013 in it for future reasons (in the remote case of being one of the winners) I'm not sure how to replace it. I'll think about it and try to come up with something until the deadline.
how about "osu!" or "go!" or something in kanji? that way it can look cool, be related to the source, and not have to mean anything to us folks what can't read them fancy moon runes
Kynan

Ballance wrote:

Oh My Godness so EPIC i'd definitly buy this one !
All hail Ballance !
sherrie__fay

just these.
full size are too big to upload and read so i do some cut to it.
too less time to do design aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
i hate final exam i hate essay
lSolar_old

Ballance wrote:

*o*
Streero
It's a good T-shirt.I like it very much. :)
SYSEN
Well. . . made some simple design :D
for the size. . . .since it's vector, you can enlarge it to super big banner size if you want :P
oh. . .by the way

just asking for clarification. . .

For the :
"winners must provide 300+ DPI proofs"
Does the winner must provide the test print (hard proof),
or the winner can just provide the soft proofed image?

or maybe (sorry), you mean PPI? (the winner just give you final .ai files with layers), from what i read on older posts, some people mistook DPI for PPI

since you say DPI, i think it might have something to do with the printer. . .

sorry for my bad Grammar. . .

Anyway. . thanks to those who remembering me about the "mistake" :p
Edit: centered, thicker border

PS: thanks to those who pointed the mistakes for me
Kynan
Index-San's centered "Osu!" is awesome too !
I think it's better on a T-shirt to have the logo centered + catch phrase just under it like on the picture.
Great design !
RandomJibberish

Index-San wrote:

designs
Rhythm Helps Your Two Hips Move

The designs will be pretty nice once that's fixed, though :P
SYSEN

RandomJibberish wrote:

Index-San wrote:

designs
Rhythm Helps Your Two Hips Move

The designs will be pretty nice once that's fixed, though :P
T-thanks for remembering me xD
it's fixed now :P
lSolar_old
Omg, good job Index-San. :3
boat
It ticks me off how the "osu!" on the pink blob doesn't look centered tho.
Minty Gum
The osu! looks a little bit off-centered... besides that slight detail, I think it looks very cool and nice. Would wear~
RBRat3
Im still waiting for someone to actually interlace/scanline the osu lettering like the originals. Am I the only one that caught that?
Nekoroll

RBRat3 wrote:

Im still waiting for someone to actually interlace/scanline the osu lettering like the originals. Am I the only one that caught that?
No, I'm aware of the scanlines on the osu lettering but considering this will be on a shirt, I'm not sure if scanlines would be too fine of lines to be captured properly after the silkscreen process.

I like Index-San's design and I can see it being more of like a banner-type design. Shouldn't the white border of the osu! logo be a little thicker though? o.o
RBRat3

Nekoroll wrote:

RBRat3 wrote:

No, I'm aware of the scanlines on the osu lettering but considering this will be on a shirt, I'm not sure if scanlines would be too fine of lines to be captured properly after the silkscreen process.

I like Index-San's design and I can see it being more of like a banner-type design. Shouldn't the white border of the osu! logo be a little thicker though? o.o
Doesn't have to be 1:1 with the original just noticeable. You can screen anything as long as its no finer than the screen itself and the textile its being applied to which is both an unknown but being even close to the threshold is far from what I call noticeable.
1 millimeter and up should be satisfactory, If not then they must be using burlap for screening these days XD
show more