forum

Can Intel Integrated Graphics run 144hz Monitors?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Plural
Hello,

Not strictly osu related so I'm posting down here. I've used my Google-fu and I can't seem to find an answer, as it's a bit of a niche question

I am switching to a tablet/laptop as I'm moving to University - But i wanted to buy a small 144hz monitor for osu. The laptop has an i5-4300u, which has intel integrated graphics 4400.

Most games wouldn't run on this past 60fps, so I can't seem to find an answer as to whether the processor can even output over 60hz to a monitor capable of it. I have a feeling osu should pull enough fps because it's so low demand - but I don't want to buy the monitor if it's not even possible for the integrated graphics to output that framerate in the first place (even if the software hits that refresh rate, it doesn't necessarily mean the hardware will be able to send over 60hz)

I was wondering if anyone had an experience with this? I'd be going mini display port out to DVI.

Edit: In case anyone does some googling and finds this - I did some further testing. I happened to have access to a monitor that runs 100hz and can confirm that, at least at a hardware level on the Microsoft Surface Pro 3, the intel hd 4400 graphics can't run past 60hz.

I used custom resolution software & installed custom drivers to try and add custom resolutions to go above 60hz - But even trying to set it to just 1920x1080 61hz causes an error which cites that there isn't enough bandwidth.

Oddly, the integrated graphics do fine outputting at even up to 3440x1440 in my tests - Just only at 60fps.
Vuelo Eluko
4400? That's ivy bridge igpu right? no
[Carl S]
The fact you can pull or not more than 60 fps without an integrated grafic card is relative. Since in order to enjoy your 144 hz you have to pull 144fps in osu, i guess if you are up to 300-400 you will be fine although dedicated can help to lower your (ms) so monitors in general are bigger than laptops so it only depends if you can get the same resolution as your laptop since the bigger it is more it demands. When you have no gpu most of things depends on the cpu... integrated graphics barely has any usage.
Vuelo Eluko
it's more a question of output than processing power in this case though
Topic Starter
Plural
Yeah, after testing, I can indeed pull over 144hz (around 170 fps) at 1080p but haven't bought the 144hz monitor yet. And yes the 4400 integrated graphics is from the ivy bridge series.

Just unsure whether the 4400 series is able to output above 60hz, even if the software is running above that
Vuelo Eluko
It cannot.

For 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors the maximum supported resolutions are:

DisplayPort 1.1 = 2560x1600 at 60 Hz
HDMI 1.4 = 1920x1200 at 60 Hz
DVI (Single-link) = 1920x1200 at 60 Hz
VGA = 2048x1536 at 75 Hz
source: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023781/graphics-drivers.html
Topic Starter
Plural
Ah, yep. I had a feeling. I'll get a cheapo 60hz one then. Thanks for the help!
Vuelo Eluko
should mention that 60hz or 144hz wont make much of a difference, especially not for standard. When you time your hits exactly is not based on frame times as related to your eyeballs but to the audio... my unstable rate and error rate changes not at all, even when I have greater latency on the display.

The only advantage you might get is that you are receiving information a few milliseconds earlier on circle locations, this might help a bit at like ar11 but for the ar's that 99.9998% of people play (including top players) of 8 - 10.3, 60 hz is no disadvantage. I am not even sure if it makes a real difference for ar11 either unless you have very low reaction time.

It all comes down to the fact that circles are static objects though, for the other game modes with scrolling objects I think 144hz makes a much bigger difference.
Rabbecito
with my integrated graphics, I can reach 144fps so yes you can see that, but like Vuelo Eluko said above, you can't really see the difference like in other games because the circles are static objects.
Vuelo Eluko
once again, the rate at which your gpu can draw the frames (fps) has nothing to do with the rate that your gpu/video out can output them, nor the hertz at which your monitor can display them.

just because you can get 144 fps doesn't mean you see 144 fps, in all likelihood you do not actually output the frames beyond 60 hz on integrated.
Rabbecito

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

once again, the rate at which your gpu can draw the frames (fps) has nothing to do with the rate that your gpu/video out can output them, nor the hertz at which your monitor can display them.

just because you can get 144 fps doesn't mean you see 144 fps, in all likelihood you do not actually output the frames beyond 60 hz on integrated.

I didn't mean that I can see 144fps but I meant that you can slightly notice the difference between 60 and 144hz in osu!
Vuelo Eluko
well not with ivy bridge integrated graphics and probably your setup too though maybe you have like motherboard with native displayport and uhd 630 I do not know.
extrasensory
My graphics card died recently, so while I didn't have my new one I played off my 7700K's integrated graphics and I was able to play osu! on my 144hz monitor just fine, frametime was at about 2.0ms most of the time and there was no input lag. Definitely depends on what Gen of Intel CPU you have though.
skyhunter45
You should ask this to a mechanic or a computer pro lol
abraker
not a mechanic unless your computer is this
Duran38
that has nothing to do with your GPU.