forum

[Archived] Horrible performance on i5-5200U/GTX 940M

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Santeri
Problem details: The framerate goes all over the place around 50-200fps whether I'm in the menu or playing and it makes playing feel near impossible. Normally I would think the specs are possibly just too low, but my 200 euro netbook with a Celeron processor and integrated graphics even runs the game at a slightly higher framerate. I tried osu!lazer to check the fps, and all the other values were around 1000fps, but the draw fps was around 100, so I'm imagining the issue is on the GPU side? Also I only get about 10fps more on the GTX 940M versus the integrated Intel HD 5500. You can see in the screenshot that in gameplay it doesn't even reach 160fps when barely anything is happening in-game.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: Stable 20181231.2 (latest)
Death
Try closing anything you don't absolutely need to have open in the background for your computer to function properly. And check your task manager for anything sneaky as well.
Topic Starter
Santeri

Death wrote:

Try closing anything you don't absolutely need to have open in the background for your computer to function properly. And check your task manager for anything sneaky as well.

Only programs I had open in the bg were steam and discord, closing them didn't affect the fps at all, got the exact same results. I also disabled stuff like windows' own real-time virus protection etc. to check if they could be affecting it, but I'm still getting the exact same fps.
Death
Do you have compatibility mode enabled?

Normally (using optimus, which almost certinly applies to you) it seems that your integrated graphics tend to be the limiting factor and often causes lower performance than expected. Not sure why it always seems to have so much trouble though when it probably shouldn't.
Topic Starter
Santeri

Death wrote:

Do you have compatibility mode enabled?

Normally (using optimus, which almost certinly applies to you) it seems that your integrated graphics tend to be the limiting factor and often causes lower performance than expected. Not sure why it always seems to have so much trouble though when it probably shouldn't.

After googling a bit, yeah it might actually be Optimus' fault. It forced compatibility mode due to it earlier, but the performance is the same whether i have it on or not. I noticed some people saying they tried an external monitor and it fixed their fps issues, so I'll probably give that a try later. I guess for now I'll just have to deal with the bad fps and play with a lower resolution. Thanks for trying to help though.