forum

[Archived] Mouse causes game to excessively lag

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
D0HERRITT
Problem Details:

So I recently got a new mouse for my computer, and for some reason, using it cause the entire game to lag. This ONLY happens in Osu, no other game does this.

Is there a way to fix this issue? I really don't wanna switch back to my old mouse just to play the standard game mode, especially when it just effects this game...

osu! version: b20181231.2
Death
What mouse are you using? What is its polling/report rate set to?
Topic Starter
D0HERRITT

Death wrote:

What mouse are you using? What is its polling/report rate set to?
I'm using a "Redragon Wired optical gaming mouse". The model is an S101-1.

On the box, it says that it can respond up to equivalent of 3,600FPS, which is a little bit under a third of a millisecond.

The DPI can range from 800 - 3200, Though I found that switching between them doesn't really affect the game in any way. It doesn't lag worse or remove it.

If this helps, Osu says that it reports the mouse movement up to 1,000 times per second. Could this be reason why it's causing so much lag, because the mouse is just too responsive?
Topic Starter
D0HERRITT
Okay, so after doing a little bit more research, I found someone else that was having the same issue I am having right now. And I noticed you responded with, "Try changing the poll refresh rate". How do I do that?
vAxno
does the mouse come with drivers?
did you enable raw input to the osu window?
Death

DOHERRITT8PC wrote:

Okay, so after doing a little bit more research, I found someone else that was having the same issue I am having right now. And I noticed you responded with, "Try changing the poll refresh rate". How do I do that?
If it's possible, it would be in your drivers. I looked up your mouse and it does appear to have some configuration/customization software.

vAxno wrote:

did you enable raw input to the osu window?
I believe in the past when I've seen this issue, disabling raw input actually fixed the issue for some people. Not sure how well I'm remembering though.
Topic Starter
D0HERRITT
I found the software online because the manual that came with it *BARELY* mentioned it. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have known about it.

I tried uninstalling it just too see if it would change and to my surprise, Osu recognized a higher report rate.

Also, I just kinda decided to use my old mouse instead. I probably should've mentioned that sooner, but I also kinda forgot I made this post so...

I'm supposed to be getting an actual computer soon. I meant to revive it as a Christmas gift, but I ran into some issues with it and ended up shipping it back to my dad. As soon as I get it back, I'll try using the newer one first. I'm hoping that since it's an actual tower and not a laptop, it won't have as much lag.
Topic Starter
D0HERRITT
UPDATE:

I got a new PC. And it's safe to say, I'm not having this issue anymore. It still causes a little bit of input lag, but it's not as severe as it was. I find that keeping the mouse absolutely still during break time leaves me with 0.6ms of input lag. When I move the mouse, it bumps up to around 1.1 - 1.3ms. not bad.