forum

[Guideline Addition - osu!catch] Overmapping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Xinnoh
So it turns out we don't have anything in the ranking criteria regarding overmapping. Something like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/659614 is 100% rankable in catch because nothing says it can't.

Taking from the standard rc works mostly fine
All circles and slider heads should be snapped to distinct sounds in the music. Adding hit objects where there is no musical cue to justify them can result in unfitting rhythms.
but results in things like 1/8 buzz sliders made out of circles being unrankable (eg https://osu.ppy.sh/s/468281) which doesn't work.

With a few modifications, we can use mania's new rc better fits to cover it.

All circles and slider heads should correlate to a sound present in the music. This is usually a distinct sound, but can also represent a continuous sound with an indistinguishable start or end.
You can find the original guideline I copied here. There are a few extra bullet points I removed because they only apply when you have to actively play each note, which only applies to mania.
Pennek
Sounds good
Liyac
would "continuous sound" include vocal emphasis/strain ideas aka stuff like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1776211?m=2 [ 01:20:137 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1) ]
because honestly I find interpretations like that kinda bleh to do
Sanyi
hmmm... maybe it is just me but that kind of limitation seems unnecessary. Representation of music is something subjective, so it can be achieved by overmapping too. It may not be a common case, but I don't think prohibiting it is the way to go.

As long as this stays a guideline I won't complain too much though.
Topic Starter
Xinnoh
@cyanine
this is primarily for electronic sounds, doing it for any held sound is technically allowed but if it's dumb then it's unlikely to be done in the first place and would probably get modded out.
you can technically do the continuous sound thing regarding vocals with the current rc, no one does it though, doubt this will change.

@sanyi
ya this should never be a rule, it's a guideline feel free to break it if it's necessary.
wonjae
nice. seems good considering we dont have anything on overmapping
Cade
To be honest, I'd prefer the second one over the first one.
Nothing Here
(But to be honest, I want my 1/16 buzz sliders everywhere, let me have them.)
Ascendance
Hello hello!

Talked over this w/ ZiRoX. We decided to use your definition, except we changed the word correlate (it's a big word)

Ranking Criteria wrote:

All circles and slider heads should represent a sound existing in the music. This is usually a distinct sound, but can also represent a continuous sound with an indistinguishable start or end.

If anyone has anything to add to or amend about this wording, please do so by 23:59 UTC+0, April 21, 2019. We will extend the time necessary if important discussion is ongoing.
wonjae
I feel like for lower diffuculty maps like platter - cup, choosing to map sounds that arnt very distinct and ambiguous feel really unecessary. Everyone knows that overmapping in those diffs is stupid so you should add something like "in cups and salads notes and sliders must represent sound in the song"
Ascendance
it's a guideline anyways so you need reason to break it and thus uhhhhh you'll probably get killed for doing it in ENH
pishifat
merged