forum

[Archived] osu!mania "shows" duplicate or triplicate notes with high scroll speeds

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
uwuKia
Problem details:
I'm new to mania and I've noticed when I set a high scroll speed, the notes sort of appear doubled or tripled.. I've tried VSync and other FPS settings in the options and I can't find a forum post with this problem because I don't know exactly how do people usually describe this.

Thank you for reading and I'm sorry if it was asked before.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
Here's a video

osu! version: Stable 20181231.2 (latest)
ShinKeyKai
The default scroll speed is based on the beatmap bps. Try pressing Ctrl+F3 in the song selection screen to reduce the scroll speed.
Topic Starter
uwuKia
Thank you for the response!
But my issue is involving the notes look like appearing "tripled" when playing high scroll speeds. I don't want to lower the speeds and I've disabled the option that scales speed by BPM..
ShinKeyKai
The high scroll speed do that visual effect. I don't know if there's another way to fix that than reducing the scroll speed.
Brainage
The reason your notes appear tripled is because the notes are travelling faster than your monitor can display frames. Because monitors refresh frames in vertical lines, by the time the monitor has refreshed, the note has already moved a significant amount. I unfortunately don't know how to fix this but it would be something like refreshing a frame all at once instead of refreshing it line by line.
Aiseca
I have played several games similarly to Osu!mania and I can say is that the notes appearing like that is normal if the scroll speed was cranked up. It is only visually like that, but the note that is falling isn't being "triplicated" in game play.

Unless you have a very powerful video processor, you can't do anything about it but just to tone down the speed when playing.
Full Tablet
Get a better screen, one that has a smaller response time.

Or reduce the contrast between the notes and the lanes they go through (for example, light gray notes on a dark grey background instead of white on black).
Topic Starter
uwuKia
Thank you all very much for the responses, I was wondering if there was any way to fix it, but I guess I wondered if it's my monitor's fault and apparently it might be. I'm gonna do some more research on what's making that effect and later on get better peripherals to solve it.

Thank you everyone!