forum

Mechanical keyboard or Membrane?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
maal
'Sup guys.

I've been going around lately, thinking if I should acquire me one of these "mechanical keyboards."
All I really want to know is, is it worth it?
My current keyboard is a Logitech G110 membrane keyboard, and the mechanical one which I've considered, is the SteelSeries 6gv2, the standard mechanical edition.
So yeah, would it be worth it?
Mainly gaming osu! and Diablo 3, if you'd want to know so.

Also, if this is the wrong place to post, then please, can any moderator move this?

Cheers.
friendok53
mechanic
boat
6gv2

mechanical switches are far superior to rubber domes

Thousand times longer lifetime (switch wise, that is), feels so much better to type on, better response (not necessarily mathematically, but technically).

why a 6gv2? Because superb value and black switches.

Why a 6gv2 over for instance a blackwidow? Because blue switches are cheap and tacky. If you want something to type comfortably on, then get browns, if for playing games, blacks or reds. All switches work for everything tho, I can play games just as well on browns and blacks.

Blue tactile switch

red (the black is nearly the same thing, just a tid bit heavier, easier to see the difference on the red) switch without tactile feedback

If you want a ricer shit keyboard, then find one with blacks/reds, or browns. No big difference between the keyboards themselves if the switches are the same. You pay extra for lights and casing, but if you want to look like a tool, then feel free to.
Zelmarked
Felt weird at first but mechanical is far superior. That and they are rated to some obscene amount of clicks. Long life in other words.
Nyu_old2
Eh it depends. I would definitely not use rubber dome keyboard for osu! now that I have a mech. But I also know I don't like regular gaming on it compared to my old keyboard.

I used to do a bunch of fps's before I quit, so I bought the steel series merc stealth(which I still have, just not hooked up). This is what it looks like(not my picture).

I'm sure you noticed but there's a gaming pad to the left of the keyboard and it is amazing. I loved it for all the fps's I played and other games. Just not osu! It's not mech.

So it depends on what you do more. Both are awesome keyboards but have different purposes for me. If you plan on getting real serious for osu and plan on playing it a lot, get a mech keyboard. Otherwise buy something like above.
_lain
It's subjective.
I like mechanical for typing reports and things, but I find them terrible for anything else.
hinamizawan
For more serious gaming, I would prefer a mechanic keyboard over a membrane one. Razer BlackWidow is very good for osu!, you'll never want to touch a membrane keyboard again.
Wishy
Membrane keyboards are for poor people or people who don't yet know the difference between those and mechanics.
Tanzklaue

Wishy22 wrote:

Membrane keyboards are for poor people or people who don't yet know the difference between those and mechanics.
or they are actually satisfied with their membrane keyboard and don't want to spend 70-150 bucks on a keyboard they don't really need \:D/
Jordan

Tanzklaue wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

or they are actually satisfied with their membrane keyboard and don't want to spend 70-150 bucks on a keyboard they don't really need \:D/
+1.
boat

makkura wrote:

For more serious gaming, I would prefer a mechanic keyboard over a membrane one. Razer BlackWidow is very good for osu!, you'll never want to touch a membrane keyboard again.
the blackwidow isn't good for anything
hinamizawan

boat wrote:

makkura wrote:

I actually like it compared to the previous keyboards I used, never tried another mechanic keyboard unfortunately.
Frizz

boat wrote:

makkura wrote:

Then I wonder why there are many top players using it if it isn't good at all.

Anyway I agree that Black and Red are the best switches for gaming. Most people will bottom-out while playing and hence they don't need switches that have tactile feedback. In the other hand, Blue and Brown are the best switches for typing. Typists need to type more accurately and faster and hence they don't want to bottom-out while typing and so switches with tactile feedback are the best for them. This is why some typists use BlackWidow because it uses either Blue or Brown switches (and it's also the cheapest MX Cherry mechanical keyboard around).

However choosing the switch for osu! is tad bit different. I believe some players don't want to bottom-out while they're streaming so switches with tactile feedback are the best for them and vice versa.

tl;dr just try various switches and find which one is the best for you. Since in this case choosing the switches is pretty much of a personal preference.
ampzz

Tanzklaue wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

Enjoy a limitation in high end bpm attainment/ maintenance then.
Kanye West

ampzz wrote:

Tanzklaue wrote:

With enough practice you can play any BPM with any hardware.
Jordan

ampzz wrote:

I don't think there's a LIMITATION when using a membrane keyboard. I have one and I get faster and faster just by practice. Maybe there's some improvement when switching to a mechanical but it's only something you'll achieve with a membrane too. You just need to practice more.
thelewa
but practice is boring
jesse1412
ITT: people who haven't experienced mechanical keyboards.
Azure_Kite
At the end of the day, play with something comfortable that you enjoy using. If it works for you, great. No need to be elitist about it.
Tanzklaue

jesse1412 wrote:

ITT: people who haven't experienced mechanical keyboards.
Like I said: I don't see any reason to spend this big pile of money on something I as a rather casual pc-user don't need.

and ampzz: cookiezi could pass the loli marathon even with membrane, some pros play with membrane an stream over 200 BPM easily.
show more