forum

Only one difficulty?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
T_Marck
I've read that rankable maps need 2 or more difficulties but, even tho the vast majority do, there are plenty of maps with only one.

I also have more questions here in my first map's description: https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/894622#taiko/1869432
but this question was the only one unrelated to my map.
lewski
1) The rule about needing two difficulties hasn't existed in a while. However, there are still some spread rules. Assuming the map you linked covers the whole song, you'll still need at least a Futsuu since the drain time is less than 3:30. It's also a good idea to read the rest of the general Ranking Criteria along with the mode specific Ranking Criteria for the mode you're mapping.

2) Difficulty spikes are fine as long as they fit the song's intensity.

3) Can't help with this one since I don't map taiko, sorry.

4) You do need to have a more or less perfect offset if you want to rank your map. Luckily, if you get mods, someone will most likely notice a wrong offset and tell you what you should change it to.
TastyApple
Go to this link (https://osu.ppy.sh/help/wiki/Ranking_Criteria) going click "Beatmapset" in Contents.

Basically, it all has to do with how long your map is. If the drain time on your map is more than 5:00 mins for example you can make a diff with any star rating and have it ranked with only one diff. Another example is if a map is 1:30 mins (lower than 3:30) and I've mapped an Insane diff on it I would also need to map a Normal and Hard diff, because the rules state that if my map is lower than 3:30 mins I must include a Normal as a diff and would need the Hard diff to fill the gap between Normal and Insane.
Topic Starter
T_Marck
Thank you both! Really helped me
I've read all the rules when I started the map but I skipped some things, and now that I read it carefully, it's all there.

So it completely depends on the length, in my case (3:12) and my hardest difficulty is "hard", so I would need a "normal" (mandatory) and an "easy" (optional) if I want.