forum

[Archived] Some effects sound terrible, but were totally fine last night

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
AuttieSlayer
Problem details: I went to play OSU! and I discovered that some of the sound effects are all of a sudden unbearable, I played last night and everything was fine but now its an ear hurting mess, this is the case for many of my other beat maps. I have also had an issue for the past few months where I would hear a sort of static sound when clicking certain circles on certain maps but I was able to ignore that, but this sound is unbearable.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
https://youtu.be/JkUBjG_gTJg
Nigrod
Did you try using a different skin or try turning off "Use skin's sound samples"?
Topic Starter
AuttieSlayer

Nigrod wrote:

Did you try using a different skin or try turning off "Use skin's sound samples"?
No, Ill go give that a shot. I have been using the same skin for ages now.
EDIT: I just tried an old skin and right enough it was still there, was a slightly different sound but it was still super loud and horrible. I then tried using the default sound samples and same again, although it was more painful to hear it blasted through my headphones on the default lol
Nigrod
You can also change the hitsounds of your skin. Whatever works for you
Topic Starter
AuttieSlayer
I've had hit sounds set to "ignore beatmap hitsounds" for a long time, could the default hit sounds have gotten corrupted in one way or another?
Nigrod
Did you try restarting your osu or computer? And I think you won’t be able to hear them if they were corrupted
Topic Starter
AuttieSlayer

Nigrod wrote:

Did you try restarting your osu or computer? And I think you won’t be able to hear them if they were corrupted
I have not tried restarting my computer yet although I have restarted OSU.
Nigrod

AuttieSlayer wrote:

Nigrod wrote:

I have not tried restarting my computer yet although I have restarted OSU.

Do you have a link to your skin?
Topic Starter
AuttieSlayer

Nigrod wrote:

Just tried restarting my computer, unfortunately nothing changed.
Nigrod
Really i can't create your problem unless i play that beatmap and turn off "Ignore beatmaps sounds"
Topic Starter
AuttieSlayer

Nigrod wrote:

Really i can't create your problem unless i play that beatmap and turn off "Ignore beatmaps sounds"

It's weird, I could try reinstalling the game i suppose although I don't know why this issue would appear out of no where.
Tobias Leander
Try to disable surround sound for your headset, and use stereo.
Topic Starter
AuttieSlayer
I'll see if this is possible, as far as I know, I am using stereo.

I am also beginning to think that the issue is something to do with my sound card, I have an Asus Xonar Phoebus and I have discovered that if I use another 3.5mm headset on the card I will experience the same issue, and if I use a USB headset then I experience no issues with the audio.