forum

@ osu! Standard mode players: Why don't you play Taiko?

posted
Total Posts

Why don't you play Taiko?

Lack of beginner maps that are meant for Taiko mode.
14.99%
The game mode doesn't look fun to me.
25.06%
I tried playing it, but was having difficulties learning so I gave up / quit.
45.19%
Other (Please Specify / Post in the thread your reason)
14.77%
Total votes: 447
Topic Starter
karterfreak
If you play Taiko and osu! standard, this question doesn't apply to you, but feel free to read on.

A lot of standard players that I have talked to have different reasons for having either not played Taiko or not being able to get into it. So I have a simple question for the people who do play standard but don't play Taiko.

What's your reason?

I'll let the poll speak for itself, but I've had a feeling for a while that the reason so few people have played / gotten into Taiko is the lack of maps for beginner players in Taiko mode. This poll is mostly to find out if that's actually true or if there are other big reasons as to why Taiko isn't very popular.
Royboyvdm
I find it too hard, looking at the screen gets me crazy when it goes fast lol
Laharl
Am I a standard player?

Ah, whatever. It's a mix of answer 1 and answer 2. Most of the maps I tried in taiko were not beginner-friendly. Furthermore the game mode doesn't look fun.
benguin
I'll occasionally dabble in taiko once in a great while, but usually my taiko sessions don't last very long. It seems like every time I play a song, it either ends up being something ridiculously easy like quarter notes the whole way or something way out of my league (mfw I see taiko stream and usually end up mashing and missing every note) I can't seem to find many maps at a difficulty that are fun for me to play. :/ I'd like to be able to find maps that are mostly just 8ths notes the whole way with occasional 16th note triplets (as in 3 notes in a row, not literal triplets in music terminology) with enough time to recover between those occasional 16th note sections. Also, there's probably a lot of songs I ~could~ play if I could play maps at higher scroll rates. :/
Papi Bear
Probably the hit sounds that gets me bored... And I hit more 150 points than 300.. X(
Xgor
I hate 99% of the maps.... That's all.
kriers

Xgor wrote:

the only taiko maps I've enjoyed were made by you lol
gat1toneku
i have no interest in game modes other than standard since joining
standard is so much fun that all other modes look like boring shit to me!
Cheer-no
The rhythm is no problem, but almost any combination of d and k in streams of more than 1/2 are completely unplayable for me! Which button you press doesn't matter in standard, so it's way easier Dx
Nyu_old2
I don't find an appeal for it.
Stefan

Royboyvdm wrote:

I find it too hard, looking at the screen gets me crazy when it goes fast lol
Kinda strange because you almost have this at Standard, too.

gat1toneku wrote:

i have no interest in game modes other than standard since joining
standard is so much fun that all other modes look like boring shit to me!
At least, you should give the modes a Chance and to check up how they feel to play.
I know some people where never played Taiko or CtB and calling as Bullfuck or something else.
And these people are happy when they reached Rank #20.000 or higher. lol - -
Tanzklaue
hm, kinda all three of the options, I tried playing taiko but because of the lack of beginnerfriendly maps I had difficulties in learning it, and because of that I didn't have any fun.

plus the advanced maps (oni and stuff) seem to me like random notespamming for the sake of difficulty. they often don't follow any rhythm, they are just there because taiko has no other ways to be challenging.
dH_
Coming from arcade/console Taiko, the Taiko mode in Osu has always felt... off. It seems like most of the maps aren't synced all that well, or are otherwise oddly different from the actual games :/
Lesjuh
Nearly none of the maps on this game are specially made for taiko mode. They are originally created for osu!standard, taiko mode bases the d's and k's on the hitsounds of the map. This is the reason why practically every map in the game sucks ass in taiko mode. The maps that ARE created for taiko are always pooting hard and only for the elite (with a few exceptions).

I don't play taiko because of that^, following the notes-track hurts my eyes and I don't have the patience to get good at it.
Lunah
I find kinda difficult understand when click red and when click blue, some streams like this :

or also when mixed-up, like 3 red, 2 blue, 1 red, 4 blue etc .. and stuff like these..

If it was alternate like : red, blue, red, blue or 1 blue every 5 red (for example) there was no problem.

Personally I play following the rhythm and if there is an hitsounds bad synched I fail.
Triskelion91
When I originally tried to learn it, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I was just spamming the 4 buttons randomly, getting a maximum combo of like.. 5.

I just gave up and played standard, since it was much easier to understand for me. If there were easy maps for taiko, I would play it.

So I would say 1 & 3 for me.
MMzz

Xgor wrote:

True, because 99% of them suck.
Mismagius
Because I'm very bad at it, and even though I try getting better, it just doesn't work
Lunah

Blue Dragon wrote:

Because I'm very bad at it, and even though I try getting better, it just doesn't work
\agree 3 years playing taiko and i still suck, LOL
Aqo
I've been a standard-only player for about 4-5 months and only a few weeks ago I started playing taiko. The main reason I stayed away from Taiko were:

1. Didn't know it's actually popular. I wasn't aware that there's actually a big taiko (and ctb) scene and I thought those modes are not worth investing my time on.
2. The fact that there are no beginner maps for taiko was a huge problem too, made it pretty much impossible to learn it. All the taiko-specific difficulties on standard maps that I love were way too hard for me, so I felt like I have no way to get into it.

However after talking to 2 active taiko players, I looked around at the rankings are realized a lot of people play taiko (and ctb), which made me show interest in it. Then one of the taiko players I talked to told me how to search for easy taiko maps, that they go by japanese difficulty names (kantan/futsu/muzukashi) and he gave me some muzukashii maps to practice on, which helped me start learning the game.

I think taiko is very fun, although it lacks the visual appeal of standard mode for a spectator. It's still fun to play. I hope more taiko-only players played standard too, and that more standard-only players played taiko, but until somebody makes a good map list of easy maps to learn taiko with it'll be hard for people to get in.

I saw the thread somebody recently made for learning taiko, and while I think it was very nicely formatted and explained well, I tried following it and the content didn't help me that much to improve... it seemed to focus more on working on your speed, and not enough focus on D/K patterns. As a standard player, speed is much less of a problem to me, and what I really needed help with was reading red/blue in time to hit them correctly.

Just going over a ton of normal-difficulty standard maps and checking their translates to find ones that are good to practice on helped me improve more. (like Nymph's mapset for Sweets Parade [normal]. A rare good translate for taiko beginner learning! most translates end up terrible)

I think sliders and spinners don't belong in taiko mode at all, and translates shouldn't include them. They're as good as a break section in a map and this makes low-level translates pretty much "empty" for actually learning taiko. And without translates, most players have no clue how to find low level taiko maps for learning purposes. I had to literally go over all of my taiko diffs to find easier ones like the one for Last Christmas which I could do at first with HalfTime, and then helped me improve and learn to clear it normally too, etc.
show more