forum

[Archived] Osu has better performance on Linux then on Windows

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cynaax
Problem details: I recently had a dual boot with Linux mint, I installed osu on it after I set everything up, wine, winetricks, DotNet Framework, etc.

While I played osu I was hitting 0.87ms to 1ms, I didn't have any software to show my fps in game so I don't know the exact details.

Soon after my Windows broke, so I clean installed everything and had to remove Linux (sad, I know) but when got downloaded osu I noticed while playing I get 2.8ms to 3ms, this is very confusing as in Linux everything was so much better.

My gpu is the gtx 950m 4gb ddr3, I'm not sure why the performance is so different, I also have to run compatibility mode in osu to get good performance, otherwise I only hit 180fps and something like 5ms which is not playable.

I haven't checked other threads, so if this has been posted before I will gladly remove this post.

Thank you

osu! version: Stable 20181101.2 (latest)
Topic Starter
cynaax
Bump
RockRoller
so, what exactly do you want to know from us, I dont really see your problem.
Death
Could be a driver issue, have you tried reinstalling the drivers for your 950m? Also if you have an integrated GPU, try reinstalling the drivers for that too. I'm also curious if you get better performance if you run osu! on your Integrated GPU (assuming you have one).

Could also be due to crap Windows has running? Try closing anything you don't need to have open while playing and try monitoring your task manager for anything significant going on in the background.

RockRoller wrote:

so, what exactly do you want to know from us, I dont really see your problem.

_Cynical_ wrote:

While I played osu I was hitting 0.87ms to 1ms... [after removing Linux/Playing on Windows] I noticed while playing I get 2.8ms to 3ms, this is very confusing as in Linux everything was so much better... I'm not sure why the performance is so different, I also have to run compatibility mode in osu to get good performance...
Their issue is pretty clearly written in their post I'd say, not to mention the title.
Topic Starter
cynaax
Thanks for thee reply, I have reinstalled my gpu drivers a couple of times now lol, I have ran osu on my integrated, performance is worse lol, however I haven't got the latest drivers for it. I might try updating it as you said.

I'll try monitoring what's going on in the background, I've even installed a different AV, just because Avast is way too heavy on my system, unnecessarily heavy I should say.

I'll keep you posted on the results. Thanks
Ari0n
It's a problem with nvidia optimus, i've been having that problem for years now, made forum posts, emailed staff, and nothing has been done. I don't even play this shit anymore, it's sad because i still love the game but can't play it due to shitty optimization that none of the devs seem to care about. I literally just open osu from time to time to see if this got fixed. I see countless posts about this and no one does anything, it's driving me crazy
Topic Starter
cynaax
Same here, I can't even update my cpu drivers for crying out loud, and osu runs more on my cpu then my gpu. Which is a huge problem
Topic Starter
cynaax
I've managed to get the game running a little better via overclocking my cpu and gpu, it hasn't helped much but I have got like 50 or more frames while playing.

Playing in compatibility mode doesn't load beatmap backgrounds and screws up the skin, and some scores won't submit too.