forum

[Archived] Osu keeps disconnecting my external HDD

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SirAntsa
Problem details: Osu disconnects my external HDD

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
Well... After disconnecting and successful crash were osu didn't close completely, I got this error:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Kutsun kohde on aiheuttanut poikkeuksen. ---> System.BadImageFormatException: Vioittunut .resources-tiedosto. Määritettyä tyyppiä ei ole olemassa.
kohteessa System.Resources.ResourceReader.FindType(Int32 typeIndex)
kohteessa System.Resources.ResourceReader.DeserializeObject(Int32 typeIndex)
kohteessa System.Resources.ResourceReader._LoadObjectV2(Int32 pos, ResourceTypeCode& typeCode)
kohteessa System.Resources.ResourceReader.LoadObjectV2(Int32 pos, ResourceTypeCode& typeCode)
kohteessa System.Resources.ResourceReader.LoadObject(Int32 pos, ResourceTypeCode& typeCode)
kohteessa System.Resources.RuntimeResourceSet.GetObject(String key, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean isString)
kohteessa System.Resources.RuntimeResourceSet.GetObject(String key, Boolean ignoreCase)
kohteessa System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(String name, CultureInfo culture, Boolean wrapUnmanagedMemStream)
kohteessa System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(String name)
kohteessa #=zzZCkox456Cy1CoTbYg==.#=z6ylY3o3jCnii(String #=z5FWjkbg=, Boolean #=zaOj5Tso=, Boolean #=zJZyI2lrFpitev7DO5w==,

And here's image showing what happened to my osu after like 5 crashes today:

This problem has been occuring a long time. My old thread was archived so I figured out I maybe should make a new post here

Edit: Error message with corrupted osu crashing, I'll go re-download it after this
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Kutsun kohde on aiheuttanut poikkeuksen. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Objektin viittaukseksi ei voi määrittää objektiesiintymää.
kohteessa #=zX$igslaEn2CbJkJyHUXFdtMtW92v.#=zeOvanas=(Int32 #=ztDClsrU=)
kohteessa #=zX$igslaEn2CbJkJyHUXFdtMtW92v.#=z36CakJTE7xPe(Object #=zhvdWwu8=, Keys #=znhiw5IA=)
--- Sisäisen poikkeuksen pinon jäljityksen loppu ---
kohteessa System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
kohteessa System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
kohteessa System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
kohteessa #=zNTf7Xe2d$OFUmYwFRr7Ceiw=.#=zwp$CMlKlo79e(Keys #=znhiw5IA=)
kohteessa #=zd2LxoLEO9vzBFNpJCw==.#=zFDRvd14=(List`1 #=zyUJAYAs=)
kohteessa #=zd2LxoLEO9vzBFNpJCw==.#=zG9jPNGI=(#=z603Onr5aDNe27RYLr70KoKw= #=zR3FN4N8=)
kohteessa #=zGH_nnY9fO2vyYxJJYw==.#=zPblOyNQ=()
kohteessa #=zC_xxU7wn3oD8Cv8frA==.#=zaJ1pcwfQv3Ln(Object #=zhvdWwu8=, EventArgs #=zCD3PoMo=)
kohteessa #=z8q00BTgn6N_DCBaJgpfoDCQ=.#=zrA5J06g=(Object #=zhvdWwu8=, EventArgs #=z0dSBb4w=)
kohteessa #=zwNo9JJ8LDWhlXHpdr5MYTL4=.#=z3qJf1iorF3cXTyAR1g==(Object #=zhvdWwu8=, EventArgs #=zCD3PoMo=)
kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
kohteessa #=zwNo9JJ8LDWhlXHpdr5MYTL4=.#=zZrb06SQ=()
kohteessa #=zC_xxU7wn3oD8Cv8frA==.#=zZrb06SQ=()
kohteessa #=z3yoVHAT6JbAa5LGBOQ==.#=zWnZUSI43Pxhe(String #=z75Fwp5Gfahot, Boolean #=zHQPr97Yo$NsEtAtYJkEksOg=, Boolean #=zV4ZYLyH3Q09CEoqXBw==)

osu! version: Stable 20181101.2 (latest)
Flanster
Hi again, I see you're still having issues with your external storage device. Lets start with a drive health check.

Please download CrystalDiskInfo from here.
Once you open it, please go to Function > Advanced Feature > Raw Values and select 10 [DEC]. Select your external drive on the list of drives at the top and post a screenshot of it (make sure all the attributes on the list are visible).
Quartzi
It would seem quite weird if osu would be the cause of a disconnection in your HDD.

Maybe just re-install osu. Even though it seems to be happening all the time since your last thread was 5 months ago. So it does carry on throughout the versions it seems.

Perhaps something during the data transfers to your HDD causes something to become corrupt.?
Flanster

SupportG0D wrote:

It would seem quite weird if osu would be the cause of a disconnection in your HDD.

Maybe just re-install osu. Even though it seems to be happening all the time since your last thread was 5 months ago. So it does carry on throughout the versions it seems.

Perhaps something during the data transfers to your HDD causes something to become corrupt.?

I've always believed its a hardware/firmware issue. Could also be a bad USB cable. osu! can't do such a thing.
Topic Starter
SirAntsa

Flanster wrote:

SupportG0D wrote:

I've always believed its a hardware/firmware issue. Could also be a bad USB cable. osu! can't do such a thing.

It happens only with osu though. Here's screenshot of the CrystalInfoDisc

Please ask for translations if you need any.

Edit: Now HDD keeps disconnecting like every few seconds after I installed osu on my SSD and closed it
Flanster
It's fine ill compare IDs. Nothing problematic other than 01 and 07 which should be 0. But thats probably due to all this random disconnecting causing corruption. I still don't understand how osu! could be causing this.

Edit: If im correct BF must be "G-Sense Errors" and its value is 3. Have you dropped this drive or did something to cause vibrations?
Topic Starter
SirAntsa

Flanster wrote:

It's fine ill compare IDs. Nothing problematic other than 01 and 07 which should be 0. But thats probably due to all this random disconnecting causing corruption. I still don't understand how osu! could be causing this.

Edit: If im correct BF must be "G-Sense Errors" and its value is 3. Have you dropped this drive or did something to cause vibrations?

I found out where the disconnections are happening. I played around with different USB ports (and after some problems with windows detecting the HDD) I found out that when connected to my USB hub it starts disconnecting.

It's still weird though. My mouse is working fine with the hub and why osu triggered the disconnecting. I have like 200gb of games on my HDD and none of them ever disconnect my HDD. At least with this rate. I have played games like Skyrim with tens of mods and textures with this HDD.

Also after restarting my laptop, osu seems to fixed by itself, I didn't even need to re-install it.

And no. I haven't dropped my hard drive ever. I have carried it to school though in a box and recently I have actually covered it with bubblewrap, if I carry it around.

Edit: I think there might be something with osu that draws so much power that the hub cannot handle it (I have around 15 000 beatmaps).

Edit 2: It's not the hub... It just disconnected when I opened osu! and my HDD was directly connected to my laptops USB 3.0 port

Edit 3: I tried opening Witcher 2 and Tomb Raider 2013 with textures on Ultra and they didn't shutdown my hdd at least
Quartzi

SirAntsa wrote:

Flanster wrote:

I found out where the disconnections are happening. I played around with different USB ports (and after some problems with windows detecting the HDD) I found out that when connected to my USB hub it starts disconnecting.

It's still weird though. My mouse is working fine with the hub and why osu triggered the disconnecting. I have like 200gb of games on my HDD and none of them ever disconnect my HDD. At least with this rate. I have played games like Skyrim with tens of mods and textures with this HDD.

Also after restarting my laptop, osu seems to fixed by itself, I didn't even need to re-install it.

And no. I haven't dropped my hard drive ever. I have carried it to school though in a box and recently I have actually covered it with bubblewrap, if I carry it around.

Edit: I think there might be something with osu that draws so much power that the hub cannot handle it (I have around 15 000 beatmaps).

Edit 2: It's not the hub... It just disconnected when I opened osu! and my HDD was directly connected to my laptops USB 3.0 port

Edit 3: I tried opening Witcher 2 and Tomb Raider 2013 with textures on Ultra and they didn't shut down my hdd at least

If Osu! really fixed "itself" through a computer restart.
First of all GG Osu!

Second, this would mean that perhaps it is through the data transfer when osu! is being played.
But through your example of Witcher 2 and Tomb Raider, it would seem quite odd if it were perhaps a power issue that keeps disconnecting your HDD.

But yet again your HDD does seem quite old, perhaps you should consider getting a new one and, after purchasing the new one if the error continues to appear, perhaps it might even be your Laptop or it actually might have something to do with osu! which would seem extremely odd.
Flanster
The only solution at this point is to not have osu! on your external drive. Move osu! to your system but keep the Songs folder on your external drive. Then open up the config osu!.<your name>.cfg and use the BeatmapDirectory line. Example:

BeatmapDirectory = "E:/Songs"

However I don't know if theres any adverse effects from doing this (other than it needing to reload them all and recalculate difficulty levels).