forum

[Archived] Osu Mania problems using numberpad

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
BakaDani
Problem details: When I play mania, I use the numberpad for the right two keys (z,x,1,2). It seems there's an issue when using the numberpad in osu where the game thinks I'm trying to press them arrow down key even though number lock is on and settings like sticky keys are turned off.

While playing a map, the 2 key will sometimes get stuck.
If you have mouse buttons enabled, the volume slider will go down on its own in game. Disabling them helps this issue (F10)
Sometimes, and quite often, when exiting a map (whether it's from the fail screen, pause screen, or finish screen) the songs will scroll down as if the arrow down key is being held. If you exit the song selection menu, it will turn down the volume on its own as if the arrow down key is being pressed. Pressing the arrow down key stops the auto scrolling and volume down temporarily until it does it again after exiting a map.

I've been having this problem for quite a while and I've had others tell me they've had the same issue.

I've also found that if you go into your keyboard/macro software and remap the numberpad keys to a letter key, it fixes the issue.

So it seems like osu doesn't like the numberpad being used in mania (and maybe other gamemodes too (possibly lefties using it for standard))

osu! version: Stable 20180626.1
Anemic Witch
I had zero problems with playing on numpad when I used it for my right hand keys. Are you sure the problem source isn't your custom keyboard drivers\software? Also, when NumPad mode is disabled on your keyboard its keys function like arrow keys and Home\End\PgUp\PgDown block, this may be the cause of infinite scrolling.
Topic Starter
BakaDani

Anemic Witch wrote:

I had zero problems with playing on numpad when I used it for my right hand keys. Are you sure the problem source isn't your custom keyboard drivers\software? Also, when NumPad mode is disabled on your keyboard its keys function like arrow keys and Home\End\PgUp\PgDown block, this may be the cause of infinite scrolling.

I've tested on 3 different computers with 3 different keyboards (Corsair, razor, ducky). All three keyboards at least did the auto scrolling issue. I've contacted Corsair about the issue having my keyboard RMAed 3 times with all three doing this issue.

To add to this, the fact that I had 2 other mania players using the keypad telling me they see the issue too shows that this could be a bug in the game where Osu thinks you're pressing the arrow down key when you're not.

As for the number lock part, it seems you didn't read the beginning very well as I stated that number lock is on and is what I've always used.
Death
I believe you are experiencing this issue: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/299015
If you turn numlock off and then hit 2 on your numpad, it should stop the scrolling. Or you can follow the method that's listed in that thread.

On a sidenote, can you confirm whether or not this is correct:

DJB wrote:

osu! version: Stable 20180626.1
That build is four months old and I'm curious as to why your game hasn't updated.
Full Tablet
While holding Shift, the Numpad keys will behave as if Numlock is was disabled. This is OS-level behavior.

Furthermore, if you release Shift while pressing a Numpad key, at the time you release the numpad key, the game won't detect the key release, making the key get stuck. This issue in particular is caused by the library that the game uses to handle input.

For example:
1) While playing, with Numlock on, you accidentally tap on the shift key.
2) While the shift key is pressed, you press 2. This causes you to miss a note (since the game will detect it as NumPadDown instead of NumPad2).
3) After shift key is released, you release the 2 key. This causes NumPadDown to get stuck, since the release of the physical key was registered as a NumPad2 release instead of a NumPadDown release.

A workaround is having an Autohotkey script that makes NumPadKeys always work as if Numlock was enabled:

#MaxHotkeysPerInterval 20000
NumpadIns::Numpad0
NumpadEnd::Numpad1
NumpadDown::Numpad2
NumpadPgDn::Numpad3
NumpadLeft::Numpad4
NumpadClear::Numpad5
NumpadRight::Numpad6
NumpadHome::Numpad7
NumpadUp::Numpad8
NumpadPgUp::Numpad9
NumpadDot::NumpadDel
Topic Starter
BakaDani

Full Tablet wrote:

While holding Shift, the Numpad keys will behave as if Numlock is was disabled. This is OS-level behavior.

Furthermore, if you release Shift while pressing a Numpad key, at the time you release the numpad key, the game won't detect the key release, making the key get stuck. This issue in particular is caused by the library that the game uses to handle input.

For example:
1) While playing, with Numlock on, you accidentally tap on the shift key.
2) While the shift key is pressed, you press 2. This causes you to miss a note (since the game will detect it as NumPadDown instead of NumPad2).
3) After shift key is released, you release the 2 key. This causes NumPadDown to get stuck, since the release of the physical key was registered as a NumPad2 release instead of a NumPadDown release.

A workaround is having an Autohotkey script that makes NumPadKeys always work as if Numlock was enabled:

#MaxHotkeysPerInterval 20000
NumpadIns::Numpad0
NumpadEnd::Numpad1
NumpadDown::Numpad2
NumpadPgDn::Numpad3
NumpadLeft::Numpad4
NumpadClear::Numpad5
NumpadRight::Numpad6
NumpadHome::Numpad7
NumpadUp::Numpad8
NumpadPgUp::Numpad9
NumpadDot::NumpadDel

This makes a lot of sense because of the way I play. Since the keyboard I use uses cherry silvers it makes sense that I accidentally hit shift while playing. Thanks a lot for the help!
show more