forum

[Archived] How can I change from OpenGL to DirectX back?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SonicMasterFan
So I was playing osu! normally on my Windows 7 (pretty old, but still woks pretty fine), but then I decided to change from DirectX (11.0) to OpenGL (which my computer can't handle, also, worst thing I've done in my life cause I knew that wouldn't work), then I changed the resolution, and then the game started to bug out, like, the osu! logo wasn't appearing anymore, so I decided to exit it. When I opened it up again, it says it crashed, and I don't know how to change it back to DirectX anymore cause the game won't let me go to the main menu.

Can someone help me, please?
Death
I'm assuming you are talking about the Renderer settings in the options menu, in which case I'm also going to assume you are on the Fallback release stream.

Keep your shift key held down while starting the game until a recovery window pops up. From there, you should be able to switch your renderer back and start the game.

Alternatively, navigate to your installation folder and edit the file "osu!.pcname.cfg" in notepad. Find the Renderer line and set that equal to d3d, save the file and then try to start the game.
Topic Starter
SonicMasterFan
OK, so...holding shift didn't work, and when I tried to find in the notepad, it says it can't find it.
And yes, all of your guesses are correct.
(Also, sorry for the long reply.)
Death
There may or may not be a "repair osu!" shortcut in your osu! folder. If there is, you can try running that instead of using the shift method.

Are you sure you edited the correct cfg file? There are going to be two inside your osu! folder, one named "osu!.pcname.cfg" and one named "osu!.cfg". You want to make sure you are editing the first one.
show more