forum

Is it normal for thinking about this game to give me anxiety weeks after not playing it?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon
I haven't played in like 6 weeks.

I picked up this game in February of this year and my play pattern seems to be grinding hard for like a month or so out of love of the game and wanting to improve and then feeling sickened by it and dropping it. I've definitely experienced some crazy euphoria with this game, but for whatever reason when I think about the game or look at plays/forum I start to feel slightly uneasy and my stomach hurts. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that once I lose that "love" for the game I feel like I've lost something important to me, and I see people playing the game and realize that I kind of want to do it again and push myself, but I'm afraid of eventually coming into that familiar depression after the honeymoon phase ends. Another theory I have is that when I'm actively playing I become very addicted and I can't help but constantly think about the game even when I'm at school or doing something else, and I'm not really sure how to play without becoming like that, so maybe I'm afraid of that high anxiety state and the fact that osu! tends to exacerbate my sleep issues.

Anyone else know what I mean? I don't really feel this with other games I have put far more time into like LoL when coming back to them, but osu! fucks with my heart (and my stomach, apparently). It's probably the fucking vocaloid anime girl voices (jk). Of course I'm writing this because I'm thinking about getting back into the game, but I think I'm going to restrain myself until I start outletting stress in other ways (getting a gym membership soon) so that I'm less likely to become frayed and stressed when I start playing again. Maybe I'll also limit my playtime too.
Deva
You are just addicted to the game.

A long time ago I used to get the same feeling when browsing forums or just even reading something random about osu.

It stops when you find more meaningful things to do in your life, for example going to the gym. I mean exercise has health benefits and you get high on dopamine from it after a while.

Run. Away. While. You. Still. Can.
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon

Deva wrote:

You are just addicted to the game.

A long time ago I used to get the same feeling when browsing forums or just even reading something random about osu.

It stops when you find more meaningful things to do in your life, for example going to the gym. I mean exercise has health benefits and you get high on dopamine from it after a while.

Run. Away. While. You. Still. Can.

It's weird to think that I can be addicted to it when I haven't played about it in almost 2 months and rarely think about it. It's just that when I do see the occasional reddit post or play on youtube... anxiety strikes.
Deva
You don't need to do heroin for 2 months to get addicted.

EDIT: Also don't watch other peoples replays. Clicking circles is already pretty fucking stupid. Now watching someone else click circles is way worse and has no benefits.
Topic Starter
SpasticSurgeon

Deva wrote:

You don't need to do heroin for 2 months to get addicted.

EDIT: Also don't watch other peoples replays. Clicking circles is already pretty fucking stupid. Now watching someone else click circles is way worse and has no benefits.

Chill dude. I like watching the stray osu! replay every once in a while and you can't stop me! lol
Deva
You do you man
Faye
The guy above me is kinda right about the addiction.
But watching replays isn't always a bad thing, the dexterity on display on some plays is quite amazing - similar to how sports have amazing athletes but with a lot more memes.

Though he's not wrong in saying you should find other things to do. Just don't let the game be all consuming.
show more