forum

Monitor refresh rates

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
altbleak
I've been playing recently on a 165 hz ips monitor. Considering to switch for a 100hz VA monitor (Defects in current panel so figured I might instead go for ultrawide). So... Response times - would a change like this be noticeable: from IPS to VA (Samsung QD) panel and from 165hz to 100hz]

I don't know how many here have experience with higher refresh rate monitors but I'm asking for opinions... not for really any particular reason. Just a big fan of atmosphere in games and I think ultra-wide could be worth a shot.

Edit: I know I could be posting this to another forums but this seems like the most viable one considering in other games the performance is more of a placebo considering the server tick-rates that kind of softlock the performance outside of your monitor
raccoongamer
???

As far as I know, there are only 60/75/120/144/240 Hz monitors. Both of these seem really uncommon.

As for me, it affects gameplay only at AR 11, other than that, it just makes approach circles appear more smooth, meaning that it affects visual pleasure more than actual performance. (I switched from 60-75 Hz to 120)
UnnamedBeast

raccoongamer wrote:

???

As far as I know, there are only 60/75/120/144/240 Hz monitors. Both of these seem really uncommon.

As for me, it affects gameplay only at AR 11, other than that, it just makes approach circles appear more smooth, meaning that it affects visual pleasure more than actual performance. (I switched from 60-75 Hz to 120)
not that uncommon, there are quite a few panels at that hz
dung eater
Many crt are 160 hz max.
Topic Starter
altbleak

jaaakb wrote:

Many crt are 160 hz max.

... your crt jokes are going far... I've seen bit too many of them
Akanagi
Look for pixel responsiveness and not just refresh rates.
VG248QE is the fastest monitor right now IIRC. It's also pretty cheap, so consider going for that one instead of buying into the 240hz hype which won't really benefit you in any game.
dung eater

mmmisHmasH wrote:

jaaakb wrote:

Many crt are 160 hz max.

... your crt jokes are going far... I've seen bit too many of them

? Some can do 200 hz. A 1998 one i have lying around is 160 max like the one i have in use. Using 1296p 16:9 res can still get 87 hz. It depends on the monitor but most crt smaller than 19'' are pretty weak. They also have less delay than lcd.
show more