forum

[Archived] Did osu! kill my laptop.. again?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mabes
About 2 years back when I started playing osu!, I ran an old laptop that was still pretty powerful at the time. when playing osu! at one point, the laptop froze and since then never booted back into windows. I recently started using a Dell XPS 13 we still had laying around. It's a laptop mainly for school and on the go Photoshop and I had osu! installed to play every now and then during cancelled hours etc. On Monday I played osu! for about 2 hours on the laptop, after I had to go again, I packed the laptop up and went to my next class and I didn't use it anymore until Wednesday.
The moment I arrived on Wednesday, I put my laptop on the table only to be greeted by.. no fan noise, no screen and an unresponsive keyboard. the only thing on was keyboard lighting and the power light.
It's been over a day at this point and the machine still isn't working.

Is it possible that running osu! on unlimited fps may or may not have been too much for the laptop?
Has anyone maybe experienced something similar?
vjdato21
Probably. Anyways, did you turn the fans on max? If you cannot do that, were the fans kicking in? If they did not kick in, or the fans were silent, that means you fried your laptop.
Topic Starter
Mabes

vjdato21 wrote:

Probably. Anyways, did you turn the fans on max, if you cannot do that, where the fans kicking in? If they did not kick in, or the fans were silent, that means you fried your laptop.

The fans were on, the laptop mainly passive cools apart from when it's under load. (so basically when constantly running osu it'll have constant fans blowing.)
I can not change the fan speed myself.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Probably my arse.

There are two things consistent, osu! and the user, and I'm relatively confident it's not osu!
Without much information hard to say why the laptop stopped working but I highly doubt it was caused by osu! specifically. Even if it was being used to game and the system was at a high temp for a long time, computer components can handle it. If it gets too hot, it will shut itself off to prevent damage. (unless a safety somehow failed and the chip nuked itself into oblivion, which I've never seen or heard of)

tl;dr can't say why it stopped but It probably aint osu!'s fault.
Topic Starter
Mabes

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Probably my arse.

There are two things consistent, osu! and the user, and I'm relatively confident it's not osu!
Without much information hard to say why the laptop stopped working but I highly doubt it was caused by osu! specifically. Even if it was being used to game and the system was at a high temp for a long time, computer components can handle it. If it gets too hot, it will shut itself off to prevent damage. (unless a safety somehow failed and the chip nuked itself into oblivion, which I've never seen or heard of)

tl;dr can't say why it stopped but It probably aint osu!'s fault.

Maybe it was too hot and couldn't handle being in my bag for 20 minutes till I got home.
show more