forum

[Archived] Windows 10 strange issues

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CactusCalin
Hello guys, I changed my computer 2 days ago. I was on Windows 7 and now I'm using W10.

Since that day my game is so laggy. I tried everything to make it better, I checked so many forum posts but haven't found any answer.

Here's my problem :

At the start of the game, my mouse was really delayed. It was just unplayable. I realise that if I use "Vsync" my delay is like 19 ms, if I put Unlimited it goes down to 0.40ms. And at 0.40ms my mouse acts normal. But now, my cursor and game in general get torn when I move my mouse too fast or when the approach rate is too high (I don't know the name of this thing so I took a picture).

https://i.imgur.com/ukh6RLd.jpg

So in order to fix it. I play with unlimited frame and borderless. In this configuration it almost works. But I feel it's not as smooth as before on Windows 7.

All these problems are not normal. I tried to repair the game, uninstall and install again.

Thanks a looot if you find the solution.

My setup (I dont think it's the problem, pretty sure it comes from W10) : i7 8700k, 16go ram and a 1080ti.

Thanks again for reading all of it. :)
Dntm8kmeeatu
This is called Screen Tearing, it happens when your framerate is not synced with your refresh rate.

The only way to fix it, is to use a form of sync (Vsync, Gsync, FreeSync), but I don't recommend any of them, as they are all flawed (in their own way).

Screen tearing is something most gamers deal with, especially if they want high framerates.

The Reason it gets fixed when your run Fullscreen borderless is because of Windows forced DWM Buffering which is used on the Aero theme (which you cannot disable on Windows 8 and 10). This has similar side effects as Vsync when it comes to input delay feeling, and that's why it doesn't feel as smooth, and is one of the reasons why we suggest only ever using proper Fulscreen, so the picture that gets drawn on your monitor is the most up-to-date which allows for responsive feedback to ur noggin'

tl;dr everyone has it, and they deal with it, just how it is.

You can use a Sync if you want, but it'll feel like poo.
Borderless will be less poo, but still poo.
Topic Starter
CactusCalin
Thank you for your complete answer Dntm8. :) Really appreciate it.

The thing is, why it cause delay when I change the FPS limit in osu? It never happen to me on my ex PC. It's a Windows thing 10 I guess? I see a lot of post that complain about this operating system.

So, to follow your advice. I went to my friend house with my pc to try on his 144hz screen. And actually that's pretty good. I use fullscreen and unlimited fps. It works way better and smoother.

But I noticed that at the start of a beatmap, my FPS counter show me 144hz, if I press F7 to go higher the game start lagging again. So maybe I have an other Vsync somewhere else but couldnt find it…

So do you know if it's normal that my FPS counter follow my screen true refresh rate meanwhile I chose unlimited framerate in osu option?

If you Don't know, I will maybe buy a 144hz haha.
Dntm8kmeeatu
When you are using Unlimited fps, it will show your refresh rate in hertz, and your FPS will be tracked by the "MS" frametime number.

You can calculate fps by doing 1000 / MS = FPS

So changing the frame limiter off of unlimited will change how the game feels because it won't be drawing so many frames and the ones in the frame buffer will not be as up to date as the ones would be if it was using unlimited.
show more